DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Winter 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Considering everyone knows Pellegrini's out and Guardiola's in at City, what price a City vs Bayern Champs League final?

Actually, if City go on to win anything (or everything) this year, will they think they've made a terrible mistake getting rid of golden Pellegrini? Because, OK, the table doesn't lie, but they're only three points behind with a better goal diff, and they've got more games because they're still in Europe and still in the cups, but they've got depth... I think they're still betting favourites for the league at some bookies.

I don't compliment Manchester United much, but Anthony Martial is a pleasure to watch and it's good we'll be seeing him for a long, long time.

Tottenham were very clinical today. Norwich is a side the Spurs are supposed to handle and they did it well. Dele Alli who knew? He's really something. He's just physically more gifted than a lot of other players and it creates chances all by itself.

Considering everyone knows Pellegrini's out and Guardiola's in at City, what price a City vs Bayern Champs League final?

Actually, if City go on to win anything (or everything) this year, will they think they've made a terrible mistake getting rid of golden Pellegrini? Because, OK, the table doesn't lie, but they're only three points behind with a better goal diff, and they've got more games because they're still in Europe and still in the cups, but they've got depth... I think they're still betting favourites for the league at some bookies.

I think the Pep announcement actually helps them. No cloud of confusion over Manny's head and he can focus on doing the business.

Not that it happens of course, but Manny winning the quad and telling Pep to top that would be pretty epic.

Apparently (according to the UK tabloids, so take that for what it's worth) Chelsea are seriously considering getting Pellegrini in as soon as he's available. Which, well, we've seen what happens when Mourinho takes Pellegrini's job (Real Madrid, Jose replaced Manuel), now we get to see what happens when Manuel takes Jose's job. It almost certainly won't be worse than Chelsea were (under Mourinho) this season.

Dear the Glazers. Please sign Jose. He'll ruin everything, it'll be great. You can save money by closing the academy, because he'll never use anyone from it.

• Like 2

I was going to wonder who would get the match ball, but apparently they don't do that in Spain.

Gary Neville turned out to be a fantastic manager, didn't he?

Leicester are officially the bookies favourites right now to win the Premier League. Just reading that statement is absolutely nuts. Burton Albion (my local team) are top of League One which is just as crazy, and my team Derby are well into their annual collapse. 

• Like 1

Fucking pathetic.

edit: 

LFC Stats ‏@LFCData  3m3 minutes ago

Of the last 19 shots on target that Mignolet has faced in PL, he's conceded 12 goals. 63% of shots on target = goal

Give that man a new contract! Wait, we've already done that?! GREAT.

As much as I love Sakho, he's been a disaster since returning from injury. He dings around some lovely passes out from the back but too passive in regards to aerial balls and he got turned way too easily by Defoe today. He's a better player than this stretch of play would indicate.

Edited by Oyaji

Good thing the people who walked out missed the end of the match. :)

--

The Leicester thing is so amazing. Narrative says they prob lose vs Arsenal next week to keep things close at the top.

How crazy would a Leicester/Spurs 1-2 finish be?

As for that, I'm generally really pleased with how the media has handled it. TSN in Canada had two commentators talk about it for 5 minutes gushing about Liverpool supporters, how fucked ticket prices are in England, and they even mentioned Uli Hoeness' quote about ticket prices (before he was incarcerated).

"We could charge more than €130 (£104). Let's say we charged €380 (£300). We'd get €2.5m (£2m) more in income, but what's €2.5m to us?"

"In a transfer discussion you argue about the sum for five minutes. But the difference between €130 and €380 is huge for the fans."

"We do not think fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody."

"That's the biggest difference between us and England."

We are lucky to have Kristian Jack on Canadian TV. So tactically astute and no bullshit. Guy is great. I wish he and James Sharman were still together, but Sharman is making Sportsnet coverage a tad bit more bearable when he's on.

Hoeness will be properly released at the end of the month I believe.

I remember going to see Aarhus (Denmark's 2nd City) play a game when I was working a contract there, it was about £12 and considering the general high prices in Denmark I thought that was great. Then I was told it was much the same in the Bundesliga, and I was honestly shocked.

Leicester wanted it so much more than we did that it's not even funny. Don't think it's the end of the season yet - still a ton of footy to be played - but that was a weapons grade statement of intent from them.

Gary Neville's management record in la liga (i.e. not including the  Copa Del Ray hammering):

Played 9, Won 0, Drawn 5, Lost 4, Goals Scored 8, Goals Against 13.

The fans hate him. They want Rafa.