DVDVR Message Board

No Man's Sky

Gonzo

My planet gave me this far-ass 15 minute walk for Thalium or that other element you need

I make my way back to my ship.  HUGE FUCKING PILE OF THE SHIT RIGHT NEXT TO IT.

You have no idea how many fucking times I had to recharge my life support.  IT WAS A POISON PLANET

• Like 1

I won't be able to read this thread anymore since I want to be as surprised by things as possible (I haven't watched any videos online either), my copy will be here in a few hours. Glad people are enjoying it so far, I am going in knowing pretty well what it is and it sounds up my alley. I'm the guy that takes hours in games just exploring to collect resources so sounds nice to have a game that actually caters to my silly play style.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I won't be able to read this thread anymore since I want to be as surprised by things as possible (I haven't watched any videos online either), my copy will be here in a few hours. Glad people are enjoying it so far, I am going in knowing pretty well what it is and it sounds up my alley. I'm the guy that takes hours in games just exploring to collect resources so sounds nice to have a game that actually caters to my silly play style.

You and I have a very similar outlook on our approach to video gaming.  Enjoy the experience, and come back and let us know what you think. 

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh, and man, the subreddit for No Man's Sky turned toxic on a dime during that stream yesterday of the two players not seeing each other. So many comments about how Sean Murray is a liar, how everyone was sold a game that was advertised as something else, etc. Just days ago people were singing his praises.

It's one fucking aspect of the game, a really giant game, that may or may not be realized. People need to get a grip. You're still able to explore a nearly endless amount of planets, the game is being supported, and who knows what is coming down the line.

I'm not sure who is worse, the No Man's Sky crybabies, or the douchebag Overwatch cheaters mad that they were banned for cheating. 

You should check out any of the PS4 Fallout 4 forums after it was announced that mods were delayed. People bitching that Bethesda owed them a refund, the developers, Bethesda and Sony are all lying liars who lie, etc.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

It crashed again on me... 3 times now.

I've been lucky and only had one hard lock, and that was right after I'd saved.  It sounds like the next patch is going to be mostly stability improvements, which is nice.

I spent all last evening screwing around on one planet hunting for resources and upgrades.  I finally got a new multitool that looks much cooler than the buck rogers one you start with, and has some expansion slots and a freaking grenade launcher.  I didn't find any inventory upgrades, though, which is what I really wanted.  I did buy a new ship, which looks like a teardrop with a TIE Fighter solar panel on one side.

My biggest beed right now is that I wish the planet geography was a bit more distinct.  I want towering mountains, huge chasms, breathtaking fjords, that sort of thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

You should check out any of the PS4 Fallout 4 forums after it was announced that mods were delayed. People bitching that Bethesda owed them a refund, the developers, Bethesda and Sony are all lying liars who lie, etc.

QFT.  Entitlement is alive and real in 2016.  As if the ton of DLC released wasn't enough.

I've been lucky enough to have no crashes on No Man's Sky so far, just some janky framerate (in the intro screen, oddly enough).

Aaand the PC version is FUCKED.

God fucking dammit. Need to look into a refund because this is bullshit.

EDIT: Constantly crashing and relaunching. If it does launch, it's stuttering like crazy. 

Funny reaction by Hello Games regarding bug issues (from gamespot.com):

To help remedy the situation, Hello Games has hired a new quality assurance team that is larger than the entire Hello Games staff.

Yeah, hiring a QA team AFTER the release will improve the quality of your software, sure. (well, it might help with regression testing, but not for a couple of months until the new team knows what they are doing)

That is super bogus about all the troubles. Did it get any better for you guys yet or no? I am hella glad I stopped reading that subreddit, I bet that the guys there that were waiting for the PC release are going absolutely apeshit. I don't blame anyone for being mad, but I'm sure that sub is bad fucking news right now.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The PC Mess

Includes comments from the developers on what is happening to fix things

My favorite is:

• VC++ Redist 2010 was not included by default. We have updated in a patch, please restart

Have they done *any* installation testing? I am working in QA in really small software projects (like 6-8 SW developers, 2-3 SW testers) but missing such a thing would never happen for us. I mean the most basic installation tests you are doing is installing the SW on a clean system and see if it starts (using aumatic tools as manual installation tests are really tedious).

• Like 2

Finally got my copy. Was fortunate enough to get a fairly moderate initial planet, which is nice.

Discovered lots of plants thus far, but only one animal. Done all the ship repair stuff and am now going to start wandering the planet for a while before I try to go onto another one.

Spoiler

13923395_10153991328904608_1359150906448

13920159_10153991365929608_8678701542448

13909331_10153991380029608_3002846283377

13988058_10153991383874608_7921132733606

Oh my fucking God, this game. 

First, whatever patch they put out didn't do shit for me. What helped was following tips from the community. 

First, the FPS setting is broken. 30 is really 15, 60 is about 30, etc. Setting it to max has the game running at 50 to 60 for me. That is, until you fight a sentinel drone and the game dips to about 15 until you restart. 

You have to change FOV from a mxml file, so that's fun. Even then, the perspective makes me feel tiny. 

Antialiasing in game doesn't work. You have to turn it off in game and enable it from your GPU settings.

Even with all of these fixes, I still clip through the map, the frame rate drops, there's massive amounts of pop in graphics and tearing, and the controls are wack as fuck. When piloting my ship there's a noticeable delay in responding to my mouse movements. Oh, and at times, you can't point the ship down. You have to look up first and then look down. 

Unfortunately, I think I logged too much time with the game for a refund.