DVDVR Message Board

Classic WWF/WCW Wrestling Games

RonL21

I remember playing the two WWF N64 games, and me and pals made ourselves (of course), and each incarnation of myself used the pumphandle slam for the back grapple special, and I affectionately referred to it as the "One in the Stink." Some of my friends hate me to this day, for all the times that I beat them with "One in the Stink." And if they were bleeding, I was ten, twenty times worse.

That, and I made a Jesus Christ CAW that my girlfriend at the time *swore* I was going to hell for. But seriously, there was so much cross-based, praying-based offense and taunts (I think it was greater in 2000 than NM), what can ya do?

LOL ... "One in the Stink done laid ya out bitch!" :D

Sigh ... miss those days, man.

• Like 1

Here's an amazing Roman Reigns vs. Matt Hardy match I had in No Mercy last week. I was capturing footage for the MMA gaming thing and figured I might as well do some NM since it's plugged in. I updated Roman's moveset and using the flying Misawa elbow smash thing for the Superman punch. HOLY CRAP DOES THAT EVER WORK PERFECTLY for the pose he makes during it. This has a lot of back and forth stuff and went way better than you'd think a Reigns-Hardy match would go.

This makes me angry that I gave my brother my copy of No Mercy. I need to find an N64 Pronto!

Also, WCW/nWo Revenge would probably be ten times better if it wasn't ruined by the discovery of the thumb stick escapes.

The good thing about that is it led to Aki using it for other things later - like being put in moves longer in NM. You can use this to your advantage for things like the triple Germans or the giant swing to recreate the Benoit-Austin billion Germans spot, or have Cesaro do a metric ton of revolutions in one swing.

Did Jesus use the Crucifix? Cross arm-breaker? Razor's Edge?

There was a powerbomb where he prayed beforehand. I gave him a cross arm breaker. A spear (haw!). D'von's blessing taunt. The praying arm twist & rope walk.

I'll have to dig that out; hope it's not been erased.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booted up No Mercy for the first time in ages. Spent a while going through my CAWs to decide who I wanted to be and face. Started a match and BAM glitches and deletes everything. C'mon man, at least wait until I've had a few games before you make me reload all my CAWs from memory packs again.

Starting a career mode is a sure fire way of getting your shit deleted, but it could delete your shit at any point for whatever reason it wants. I bought No Mercy second hand for a couple of quid from cash converters and for the first few months I was convinced I had a non-glitched cartridge. Everything was going fine. Then once it glitched the first time it does it for any kind of editing at all.

There's like a way to tell if your cart has the save deletion glitch right?  I always thought it would be cool until you tried to do a career mode.

Yeah I think there is. For the EU copies of No Mercy they have a -1 next to the code on the front label of the cartridge. The EU version has the blood edited out though. 

I worked for Electronics Boutique back when No Mercy came out. I can confirm that there were carts that weren't bugged and it did have something to do with the serial-ish code. Some more net savvy customers would ask to look at the carts before completing the sale. Keep in mind that this was back when EB's return policy was such that you could bring the game back within either 7 or 14 days to make an exchange or get a full refund. Open copies of a game never mattered because we would just shrink wrap the returned game (not a traded in game, mind you) and sell it back out as new.

• 1 month later...

No love/hate for WWF Royal Rumble, that didn't even have 30 characters in it for a royal rumble?

Are you referring to the Dreamcast game? It was neat because you were allowed more than four characters on-screen at once. But that was pretty much the whole game.