DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I just watched The Midnight Express commit a double homicide against the Mulkeys on the May 3 1986 ep of WCW; good times. Of all the good squash matches workers in the NWA at the time I think I look forward to seeing the Barbarian's name on the upcoming match list more than anyone. That dude was a fucking athletic beast of a man.

And then of course there is Ron Garvin who believed that all jobbers had spoken ill of his dear mother...so he murdered them with his bare hands...

He should've been the #2 face behind Austin during the Black Hart phase after Bret left.

This, a million times over.  Botching his push after Montreal has to be one of the biggest wastes of huge momentum ever, up there with Cesaro after WMXXX.

• Like 2

I just watched The Midnight Express commit a double homicide against the Mulkeys on the May 3 1986 ep of WCW; good times. Of all the good squash matches workers in the NWA at the time I think I look forward to seeing the Barbarian's name on the upcoming match list more than anyone. That dude was a fucking athletic beast of a man.

Pretty sure Randy(?) broke his tailbone when he got tossed to the floor. One of the nastiest bumps I've ever seen. The MX were out there taking souls.

Pretty sure Randy(?) broke his tailbone when he got tossed to the floor. One of the nastiest bumps I've ever seen. The MX were out there taking souls.

Geez he hit the floor with such a loud splat. Ouch.

From the first Mid South show...is Marty Oates Marty Jannetty?

Yep. He was trained by the Oates brothers.

Too bad Scott Hall never worked Mid South, we could have gotten the Hall & Oates tag team, or Hall vs. Oates.

Kerry Von Erich and Jimmy Garvin teamed up for a bit there in 1981... my joke was that they looked like the world's toughest Hall & Oates. :P

Just watched the episode to see the Midnights vs. Mulkeys... it's a wonder he was able to keep going, just two horrific bumps outside. Cringeworthy.

I've seen him do that bump a few times before, but he landed flat. That one against the Midnights was a bad landing followed by Eaton giving him a full on leaping vertical suplex on the floor that was disgusting. What a great jobber lol.

Ed Whalen describing Lindy Caulder:

"You can see that magnificent build ... He reminds me a lot of me. Somewhere inside this flabby body of mine is a Lindy Caulder body wanting to bust out. Oh dear, my goodness, he's beautifully built."

Dynamite Kid making a bad joke and laughing at is great:

"You all know Terry Sawyer was a male nurse in Virginia. After tonight, Terry Sawyer will be a bald nurse from Calgary! Hahahahaha."

Also love Whalen making the "third grade was the worst 5 years of John Foley's life" joke and then laughing himself silly, he was so tickled by it.

The Stampede stuff is really interesting... looks like they shot live to film back then. Between that and the one-camera shoot, it makes me want to see them do an Evolution of TV Wrestling setup on the Network... start in the 50s, work their way through the studio shoots of the 60s-70s and onto the quantum leap in the early 80s with WCCW's state of the art production.

There's a "Ray Taylor" match on one of the January 86 episodes. Is that the earliest Boss Man match on tape?

I know he was a jobber early in his Crockett days but not too long.  I thought the story was he had a good match against Tully Blanchard on TV and Dusty saw something and wanted to do something with him 

IIRC one of the problems that Stampede had was that Whalen would have them actually not film and/or edit out any blood and serious violence. I also remember some Stampede reviewed on the Driver before being pretty well JIP, so how is the editing on the footage they've put up? 

Going back to the question about the Rockers vs. Rose/Somers cage match, it was on the WWE cage match DVD so they have it. If you want to see the preceeding bloodfeast the two teams had on ESPN, it's on Youtube and is pretty much a must-watch.

EDIT: Ah screw it here it is, enjoy!

BLOOD ON THE MOTHERFUCKING CAMERA LENS~!

• Like 3

Also love Whalen making the "third grade was the worst 5 years of John Foley's life" joke and then laughing himself silly, he was so tickled by it.

The Stampede stuff is really interesting... looks like they shot live to film back then. Between that and the one-camera shoot, it makes me want to see them do an Evolution of TV Wrestling setup on the Network... start in the 50s, work their way through the studio shoots of the 60s-70s and onto the quantum leap in the early 80s with WCCW's state of the art production.

What is the oldest footage WWE has rights to? I'd be interested in seeing how far the vault goes back to....speaking of which, if people are willing to pay $1500 for a Performance Center experience how much would people pay to get a day in the WWE Warehouse

IIRC one of the problems that Stampede had was that Whalen would have them actually not film and/or edit out any blood and serious violence. I also remember some Stampede reviewed on the Driver before being pretty well JIP, so how is the editing on the footage they've put up? 

Going back to the question about the Rockers vs. Rose/Somers cage match, it was on the WWE cage match DVD so they have it. If you want to see the preceeding bloodfeast the two teams had on ESPN, it's on Youtube and is pretty much a must-watch.

EDIT: Ah screw it here it is, enjoy!

BLOOD ON THE MOTHERFUCKING CAMERA LENS~!

I have that DVD. I need to dig it out. I totally forgot that one was on that disc.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure Traylor worked like, one taping of squashes, 2 singles and a tag, then suddenly he was Bubba and hanging with Cornette and the Midnights.

According to the first Cornette shoot, it was indeed Traylor going up for Tully Blanchard's slingshot suplex - Dusty figured if he could bump like that for "the wombat" he could do the same for him, so he took Traylor off TV and brought him back as Big Bubba (no trouble)

Watching more Stampede and for all the bitching about the Von Erich nepotism, I'm reasonably certain Fritz never ran a straight title match with two of his sons on a tag team and a third son as the REFEREE.

Love the big barn door in the background with two workers as doormen and people knocking to get in. It's like Stampede was a big ol' speakeasy. The password was "Ehhhhhh..."

Fun seeing JYD work heel here. He always had a ton of swag... that's the kind of thing you can't teach.

Wish Ed didn't cut off the end of the Kasavubu/Sakurada chain match. Shame Stu couldn't get him to stop editing things just because he didn't like the blood.

• Like 1