DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'd rather have back my write up of the Rockers/Rose and Somers cage match from the AWA set discussion but that'd be my #2. One of the best matches ever and completely unlike any other sixty minute match.

Oooooohhhh is that cage match available online anywhere? Those two teams beating each other bloody were the best thing going in the last gasps of the AWA on ESPN. Also, glad to see someone else sees that draw the way I do.

AWA Superstars 2/28/88 begins with Larry Nelson drunkenly rambling about how uncomfortable his orthopedic chair is. An offscreen female voice yells at him, at which times he realize that the maker of the chair may be a sponsor of the TV show.

One of the most bizarre and nonsensical openings to a wrestling TV show ever, yet I'd still rather have that begin a show than any 20-minute monologue put together by WWE's current creative team.

Man was the 3/30/84 Mid South show great. Finally got a chance to see the birthday cake angle with Midnights/RnRs amazing stuff. I hope they get around to putting the show with the Midnighs vs. Watts/Stagger Lee, that's got to be a hot crowd. 

Everything they did on this show made me want to see everything they were setting up, and I totally lost it when Butch Reed swerved Terry Taylor.

Got around to watching an AWA show with the main event being a really good match between the Rockers and the Nasty Boys. So all-in-all, I'm keeping my subscription.

I wonder if they'll dump the 24/7 episodes of WCW World Wide on there as well...

Buddy Landel in the ring yelling toward Schiavone and Crockett that he appreciates that the NWA had finally given him an opponent who barely can sort of hang with him in the ring (maybe) and then turning around into an elbow right in the mush from said opponent, Manny Hernandez, who casually then walked away while Landel tumbled out of the ring from the force of the blow, is the sort of thing that reminds me of how much I love pro wrestling. 

Watching a random SMW episode reminded me of two of my favorite three things about that promotion: Tammy Fytch and Dutch Mantell (the Gangstas, of course, are the third). 

The only problem with all this old footage they're putting up is that, much like NXT, it exposes just how dreadful the current WWE jibber-jabber is.

From the first Mid South show...is Marty Oates Marty Jannetty?

Yep. He was trained by the Oates brothers.

Double post. It was a pretty good joke, though. I'm proud of myself for it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Pretty much.  WCW only ran at 6 on Saturday nights on TBS, which in 85, Cable was only starting to get rolling.  By that time, Vince already had 3 Syndicated Shows on local TV, which everyone got, 2 Cable shows in All American and TNT, Prime Time was starting up on cable, and Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC, which everyone got. The Rock n' Wrestling connection didn't hurt either.  

And, in 85, JCP was rebuilding its base in TBS since until March, Vince had *that* slot too.  They were finding footing getting old GCW fans back after the merger and pretty much obliterating Watts out of existance.

Crockett also had syndication in the 80s, not just TBS.  I grew up in Baltimore and it was on at noon Saturdays and Sundays on one of the local UHF stations (channel 54).

Yeah Crockett had both Power Pro and World Wide by 86 along the TBS package. I remember reading the Atlanta area had something stupid like a 12 hour block of wrestling for Saturday afternoons/evenings!

James

I just watched The Midnight Express commit a double homicide against the Mulkeys on the May 3 1986 ep of WCW; good times. Of all the good squash matches workers in the NWA at the time I think I look forward to seeing the Barbarian's name on the upcoming match list more than anyone. That dude was a fucking athletic beast of a man.