DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

I think the one way to salvage Wrestlemania as it stands now is to fully run with Lesnar as a face and turn Reigns heel. The match ends with Lesnar beating Reigns in 5 minutes, not any worse for the wear, then Rollins comes out with MITB. Those two work a 20-minute match where Rollins scores a flash pin to cement himself as the top guy. Ideally, Lesnar would stick around to chase Rollins for a rematch, and Bryan would get worked in there somewhere.

In addition to the otherwise horrible idea to force Reigns against Lesnar, how has nobody thought Cena/Rusev won't be a terrible idea for Mania? They do realize like half the Mania crowd is European and would love to troll the good old US of A, right? I mean, generally speaking, it sounds like a feud that really does need to happen for better or worse, but nothing will say "not understanding your audience" like loud pro-Russia/US sucks chants at your biggest show of the year.

At least Cena/Rusev should deliver in ring.

Cena winning the title match and Rusev winning the Rumble almost felt like the smarter booking last night.

You could even have Rusev win the title and go on a year long reign of terror before setting up Roman to be the guy to finally stop him at Wrestlemania next year.

Then you would have developed a true star.

Oh well, this is Vince's hill to die on I guess.

Plenty of suggestions in here, such as flipping Reigns as a cocky heel, are surely examples of good/great booking. If Vince can't book him as an over babyface (when he already was one), why do we all of a sudden think they'll book him as a good/great heel? Vince can't book for shit.

The problem is that the Roman Reigns gimmick is based off of real life Vince. That's why Vince is so in tune with the character. That's why Vince has to write for him. Sorry, but thee guy playing Roman Reigns is just not Vince enough. No one is. Austin was close, bug still. The Daniel Bryan character is based off of Vince's housed keeper's husband Manuel. Vince just can't relate to the character so he really is no interested. Does that make sense.

• Like 2

I think Rollins has to leave with the gold to salvage things. The fans in attendance will accept that. 

Triple H/Kane vs. Sting/Bryan is also a good idea to finish two long-term feuds and let Bryan do the heavy lifting in the ring for Sting. 

I'd do something like:

Reigns/Lesnar

Rollins/Orton (and put Orton over so Rollins has a built-in feud to begin his title reign)

HHH/Kane vs. Sting/Bryan

Wyatt/Taker (I'd prefer no Taker on the show, but since they want to use him...)

Cena/Rusev

based on what pieces they have and how to salvage the show in a way Vince could accept.

My real preference would be Bryan/Lesnar and Rusev destroying Cena so Rusev could then destroy Bryan after a three month reign and become the champion into WM, where Reigns can theoretically meet him next year in order to be crowned. Plus, maybe we could get Rusev © vs. Lesnar at Summerslam.

Really don't want Wyatt-Taker or Sheamus-Bryan. I guess the card they are still going with is rounded out by Barrett getting unceremoniously tossed halfway through the pre show Andre the Giant Battle Royal by a Los Matadore with the match ultimately won by The Bunny tossing Adam Rose. Probably Usos vs The Ascension vs Kidd/Cesaro and some divas cluster fuck afterthought.

I like the suggestion someone made earlier. They should have Reigns challenge early at Fastlane and lose there. Do a tournament for no. 1 contender at Wrestlemania. I actually think it would help Reigns out a lot more than turning him heel and going through with the match at Wrestlemania..

The problem is that the Roman Reigns gimmick is based off of real life Vince. That's why Vince is so in tune with the character. That's why Vince has to write for him. Sorry, but thee guy playing Roman Reigns is just not Vince enough. No one is. Austin was close, bug still. The Daniel Bryan character is based off of Vince's housed keeper's husband Manuel. Vince just can't relate to the character so he really is no interested. Does that make sense.

How the fuck is Reigns' character based off of Vince?

Overly complex idea for the Andre Battle Royal.

20 competitors, paired in teams of 2. The pairs are made up of two Midcard types that have some sort of dispute. If one is eliminated, the other is eliminated. The pair that wins gets to face each other immediately. Maybe have 4 in the ring at a time and have 2 new feuding partners enter after each elimination.

That doubles as a "what to do with Harper/Rowan" idea.

Plus you can get 6 more entrants by pairing off New Day/Team Cesaro-Kidd-Rose guys. Then Miz/Mizdow. Barrett and Sin Cara. And time to think of some guys to fill out the other spots

• Like 2

Oyaji, on 26 Jan 2015 - 6:51 PM, said:

Plus, if we thought Roman was the shits in the ring as a face, just wait until he has to control the majority of the match as a heel. 

Kick, punch, random move, chin lock for the come back just like 95% of WWE heels. Outside of Brock I'm struggling to think of a WWE heel that does interesting control sequences.

Oyaji, on 26 Jan 2015 - 6:51 PM, said:

Plus, if we thought Roman was the shits in the ring as a face, just wait until he has to control the majority of the match as a heel.

Kick, punch, random move, chin lock for the come back just like 95% of WWE heels. Outside of Brock I'm struggling to think of a WWE heel that does interesting control sequences.

Brock's control segments seem to boil down to "throw things until they are dead", not like any other heels on the roster could pull that off.

• Like 1

Rollins's control segments aren't good. He's just not good at that sort of thing with his current offense. 

Video game-like spotfests, on the other hand, he is perfect for. Heck, I'd be really interested just to see Rollins/Brock straight up to see them and their ridiculous offenses go up against one another for twenty minutes. I only got a small taste last night. 

at the risk of "booking the territory"... WM31 ideas..

Sheamus beats Daniel Bryan clean (more on this later)

I don't like Rollins/Orton. Heck, improvise Rollins/Ziggler. Maybe put the briefcase on the line in a ladder match if you can hang it from something. Rollins wins.

Sting/Orton/Ambrose beat Big Show/Kane/HHH. They get 5 minutes alone with HHH. Orton doesn't turn heel, stunningly.

Can the Undertaker really come back to face Bray Wyatt?

Usos retain vs some team. Maybe give Harper/Rowan and Miz/Sandow matches.

Rusev beats Cena clean.

Lesner beats Reigns after nefarious events. Maybe a false finish where Reigns "wins", faces come out, the match continues, Reigns jobs to a fireball or a massive camera flash. Daniel Bryan checks on Reigns and gets challenged to a title match. Then Bryan beats Lesnar. And then he hits the road before Rollins cashes in.

Then Lesnar goes away, Sheamus is miffed that he beat Bryan on the same night that Bryan lucked into a title match. We get a Seth/Sheamus vs Bryan/Reigns match and Reigns turns heel on Bryan and we have Heyman/Rollins/Sheamus/Reigns as a Power Trip faction. Or add Rusev to Heyman, Sheamus, Rollins and Reigns just because.

I don't agree with this Reigns isn't ready talking point at all.

Look at this:

smackdown2.gif?w=650

He's like a real-life superhero.

WWE sells moments not five-star matches.  All he needs is one moment like that against Lesnar and he's golden.  WWE doesn't and honestly shouldn't care how a hardcore Philadelphia or WrestleMania crowd reacts to him.  He's over on house shows and he moves numbers positively.  He's exactly what they want and need as their hood ornament going into the future.  He'll come off well to the media doing the WrestleMania press.

He's ready enough.  The company's failing him.  They got a couple of months to get it right.  They'll probably just make it worse though.

• Like 1

Okay but the difference between Roman Reigns doing some signature spots and Hulk Hogan doing some signature spots is Hogan could talk his ass off. Roman has a long ways to go and it's something that is pretty damn important if you are going to be the man in WWE. At least with Bryan the matches will draw people in and he is already super over with a crazy over catchphrase and is very likable.

I think the rumor was a they were going to have some kind of gimmick match at Mania, so I assume FastLane might set that up.

God, I have always hated the ppv between RR and WM being there, and now that it's not even EC, it's just extra extra pointless.