DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

I realize we're not to the Rumble yet, but things really do feel so wide open right now, much more so than in the last few years and I want to do some blatant and crazy speculation. Bear with me

The Title Match:

This can go a few ways, certainly. Brock© vs Reigns is what I'd consider to be the most obvious choice if I was making odds but it's hardly a sure thing. It's very likely that Cena beats Brock, which could give us Cena© vs Reigns, but if that happens, it's really more likely that Rollins cashes in which could give us Rollins© vs Cena or Rollins© vs Reigns or even some sort of triple threat that could look like Rollins © vs Reigns vs Cena or Rollins© vs Reigns vs Ambrose (in a sort of Shield explodes triple threat). 

Rollins:

Let's say that Rollins doesn't have the title. He could still be up against Reigns in some sort of blow off, or in that Shield triple threat. More likely though we'd get Rollins vs Orton unless they blow that off on the February PPV (which could make some sense if he cashes in on Cena, but only if Cena has someone else he's paired with or if he's worked into the title match at Wrestlemania). 

Undertaker/Sting/HHH/Batista?:

Is he wrestling? Is he not? No one has any real idea. There's the thought that he gets paid either way so Vince will want to use him. The three possibilities I've heard bandied around are Undertaker vs Sting, Undertaker vs Lesnar II, or Undertaker vs Bray Wyatt. They're all viable possibilities if he's wrestling. If they don't go with Taker/Sting, do they go with Sting vs HHH? Sting vs Wyatt? If they don't go with Sting vs HHH, what do they do with HHH? Is Batista coming back? His run sort of bombed in 2014 but he also was in the biggest movie of the year in a likable role, had a number of strong media appearances, and has said that he wanted to have a retirement match against Hunter. Do they do Batista vs HHH then? Is that even possible with his filming schedule?

Cena:

So if the main event is Brock vs Reigns or Rollins vs Reigns, what do they do with Cena? That's almost why I could see him attached to the main event, whatever it is. Vince has a liking for triple threats in the Mania main event when it comes to pushing a newer guy. He might think the match needs Cena as well. If not, though, what's left? Cena vs Ambrose? Does he get whoever's left out of Undertaker, Sting, and HHH? Will they feed him with Cena vs Rusev already?

The midcard: 

There are some logical possibilities here: Barrett vs Ziggler over the real IC Champion, but after that Wyatt needs to end up somewhere if he's not with the Undertaker. Likewise Ambrose. Likewise Rusev. Likewise Sheamus if he's back from injuries. Maybe  Do they run Rowan vs Harper? Mizdow vs Miz? Goldust vs Stardust? Even splitting one team up, they're going to have way too many tag teams (Ascension, Goldust/Stardust, Cesaro/Kidd, Usos, Miz/Mizdow, Matadors) and will probably have to do a scramble or battle royal. 

Bryan: Who knows, right? Has he REALLY not done the Tommy John surgery yet just because he's stubborn and holistic or does he think he'll be back on his own relatively soon?

I still think they should protect both Sting and Taker in a tag with each other but I haven't heard that rumored as even an outside possibility (I think the most marketable main event they have to the general public/casual fans is actually a tag, something like Sting/Taker vs HHH/Brock, but there's no way in hell that's happening). 

Is this the most open the top of a Mania card has been in years?

This would potentially be my guess for the card right now.

Wrestlemania Host - "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Cena or Lesnar vs. Reigns (could go either way. Let's just guess Lesnar for the purposes of this card.).

Orton vs. Rollins (Your highest profile match involving two still relatively full time guys)

HHH vs. Sting

Cena vs. Rusev (If Cena loses to Brock).

Bray Wyatt vs. Undertaker (I honestly can't see this happening. I think Taker's health seems fairly apparent at this point)

Dolph vs. Barrett IC Title (Just seems logical and the IC title should start being higher in profile).

Four Way Tag Titles (possibly? I could see it being Usos vs. Dust Bros vs. Ascension vs. ???)

That still leaves you with Ambrose, Ryback and potentially Wyatt with nothing to do at the moment. I am also not sure if a guy like Cesaro makes the card this year or if you carry Miz and Mizdow out until Mania before they have their match.

Main event needs to be Rollins vs Reigns vs Ambrose for the title or get the fuck out.

That's actually a damn good idea. Dunno what Brock does - prolly needs to lose on his way out. If fantasy booking:

1. Brock somehow turns face, Rusev puts down American monster.

2. Make it a four-way with Brock for the title in an elimination match. All three gang up on Brock for old time's sake and put him out first, then look at each other with big grins and start brawling.

• Like 1

Cena wins at Rumble, Rollins cashes in, Reigns and Ambrose have a double elimination to co-win Rumble. Rollins retains at Fast Lane via cheating, Reigns/Ambrose double KO spot for #1 contender.

Rollins vs. Reigns. vs. Ambrose elimination match at Mania. My finish is Ambrose pins Rollins and Reigns pins Ambrose

Cena vs. Rusev (US Title)  Rusev wins after Cena passes out in the Accolade.

Orton vs. Wyatt - Easy win for Wyatt

Triple H vs. Sting - I'd put Sting over, but I'd have a callback to Starrcade '97. Pedigree, Steph wearing Ref shirt comes in and counts real slow, though Sting actually kicks out at the 2.99 mark.

Barrett vs. Ziggler (IC Title) Ziggler takes an elbow to the face and loses.

Paige vs. Bella Twins (Divas Title) Handicap match. Paige gets the big win after Twin Magic fails.

Andre the Giant Battle Royale - Luke Harper wins

Dustin Rhodes vs. Cody Rhodes (career vs. career match) Cody sends Dustin into life as an agent

Ascension vs. Usos vs. Miz & Mizdow vs. Masters of WWE Universe (WWE Tag Title) Kidd/Cesaro go over pinning Mizdow after Miz lays him out with a Skull Crushing Finale.

Pre-Show:

Balor vs. Zayn (NXT Title) Zayn gets a flash pin on Owens three days prior at NXT Takeover: 4Play. Owens then package piledrives Zayn after the lucky win. Balor vs. NXT champ advertised for Mania pre-show. Zayn comes out as the fighting champion but due to injuries he loses the title to Balor.

With his recent financial issues, could the WWE get Putin as a celeb?  Rusev/Putin versus Cena in a handicap match.  Putin does the job and Cena wins.  In the process he converts Lana into a red blooded american hottie and starts the world's shift into a time of peace.  Rusev becomes his bumbling assistant/best friend.  Sort of like Balki from Perfect Strangers.  

With his recent financial issues, could the WWE get Putin as a celeb?  Rusev/Putin versus Cena in a handicap match.  Putin does the job and Cena wins.  In the process he converts Lana into a red blooded american hottie and starts the world's shift into a time of peace.  Rusev becomes his bumbling assistant/best friend.  Sort of like Balki from Perfect Strangers.  

I could actually see them doing a Cena or Bo Dallas vignette set to the theme song from Perfect Strangers. It's suitably inspirational and cheesy enough for either of them.

Standing tall, on the wings of my dream.

Rise and fall, on the wings of my dream.

The rain and thunder

The wind and haze

I'm bound for better days.

It's my life and my dream,

Nothing's going to stop me now.

• Like 1

Not gonna lie. For a second I thought you were serious.

The real wildcard here is how many appearances does Lesnar have left in his contract?

It is pretty apparent that once someone beats Brock, Rollins will cash in the briefcase leaving him as the champion.  The only question becomes does Rollins go into or leave WM with the title.

I see Rusev/Cena and a Miz/Mizdow vs. Uso's match.  Outside of that who knows.

Ziggler will get a high profile spot against a high profile heel.

Rollins vs Reigns vs Ambrose for the world title

This would be much easier to set up if EC were still in February, but if Cena beats Brock for the title at the Rumble and Rollins cashes in then that would be a decent setup.  Reigns wins the Rumble and Ambrose possibly gets taken out on the way to the ring by Bray or in some other way gets pulled out without actually being eliminated and then makes his case that he should get a spot in the main event, maybe he beats someone else for the spot at the Feb ppv?

Wyatt vs Harper vs Rowan

Tag Team Title 4 way (Usos vs Stardust vs Matadores vs Ascension)

Ziggler vs Cesaro for the IC title

Cena vs Reigns for the US title

Orton & Sting vs HHH & Kane

Orton comes back as a face and starts feuding with the Authority, he ends up getting beaten down at the end of the Feb ppv, lights go out and Sting makes the save.  The match of course ends with Orton turning on Sting and re-joining the Authority

Divas Match

Sandow vs Miz

Battle Royal

I think they have a pretty stacked solid card if they want, lots of potential good-great matches, good lineup of talents.

Don't necessarily think they'd do all ten of these matches, especially Taker/Wyatt but always in favor of a Taker match, but I'd dig the overall card.

Brock Lesnar© vs. Roman Reigns

Triple H vs. Sting

Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton

Rusev© vs. John Cena

The Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt

Dolph Ziggler© vs Bad News Barrett

Nikki Bella© vs either Paige or Brie depending on if they turn Brie back or not, if not Paige is the best choice as the crowd's been behind her lately

The Usos© vs. The Ascension

The Miz vs. Damien Sandow

Andre Battle Royal

The way to set up Shield TT for the title is Ambrose wins Rumble.  Reigns wins in a multiman at OTL.  Rollins cashes in before the event to make it a TT.

Cena gets shunted down the card temporarily, maybe feed him Rusev- or do a tag Cena/Sting vs HHH/Lesnar where if Cena wins he has to bring Authority back. 

Orton vs Rusev

Barrett vs Ziggler

The fans are going to shit all over Lesnar/Reigns. Everyone knows Lesnar is on his way out, and Reigns is the new hand picked golden boy. If they want Reigns getting a positive reaction, and to have a good match it needs to be Reigns/Cena in a Hogan/Warrior repeat. Lesnar can face Oron or my personal pick Rusev. I don't give a shit who's heel or face just let Brock and Rusev beat the fuck out of each other.

They probably need to start up Ambrose vs Rollins again or those guys will be lost in the part time shuffle.

I honestly hadn't thought about a SHIELD triple threat for the title but it makes so much more sense. And at least they could pretend like they are still moving forward like they indicated at last years show. 

Ambrose never got his revenge on Seth and Roman and Seth have had almost no dealings. I still think people would shit on it if Roman won but at least there is a compelling story to tell there. 

2. Make it a four-way with Brock for the title in an elimination match. All three gang up on Brock for old time's sake and put him out first, then look at each other with big grins and start brawling.

I unironically love this idea. Even though it doesn't give any one guy the rub a one-on-one pin on Lesnar could give, a triple powerbomb is almost the perfect way to write him off. I can accept Reigns in the title match even though I don't think he's ready, just please, no Cena or non-Brock part-timers. The Shield name still has a lot of credibility, so I think the triple threat should be the goal here. It's the best combination of a good match, logical story, and showcasing the new generation guys assuming there's no miracle Daniel Bryan recovery for him to vanquish Lesnar.

A Shield triple threat is a terrible idea. It'll only lead to Reigns being put through a table or something so he can lay around and do nothing for 20 minutes and then come in and win at the end while the bulk of the match is filled with J&J Security bullshit.

If it happened on a throwaway ppv, I'd expect this. Last year, though, they really smartened up around Mania. Whatever cosmic force that inspired the writers to put Bryan over literally everyone associated with HHH 100% clean and strong could probably inspire an elimination formula where Reigns goes first, and it's mostly a Rollins/Ambrose one on one.

The other thing to remember is last year's Mania looked like it was gonna be total garbage until about 3 weeks before the show, then it was one of the best Manias ever. So I'm holding on to a little hope that they can do the right thing again.

I think Ambrose-Reigns-Rollins holds more promise than Reigns-Lesnar. I think the later has disaster written all over it.

Shame there is no one worthy on the main roster to be the one to break the Accolade and pin Rusev. It'll probably be Cena. Shame they botched Cesaro.

Sting-HHH seems set.

Please no Taker. We were done with him until Brock pinned him. I don't want Wyatt-Taker.

If it happened on a throwaway ppv, I'd expect this. Last year, though, they really smartened up around Mania. Whatever cosmic force that inspired the writers to put Bryan over literally everyone associated with HHH 100% clean and strong could probably inspire an elimination formula where Reigns goes first, and it's mostly a Rollins/Ambrose one on one.

The other thing to remember is last year's Mania looked like it was gonna be total garbage until about 3 weeks before the show, then it was one of the best Manias ever. So I'm holding on to a little hope that they can do the right thing again.

The thing is, it took a perfect storm of outside events (Punk leaving, the Yes chant at the Michigan State game) to force WWE to change course. Before that, we were going to get Punk/Kane and Bryan/Sheamus in the midcard and Orton vs. a babyface Batista in the main event. Think of how awful that would have been. Also remember how terrible the build to WM29 was and how it would have been even worse if Paul Bearer hadn't died and given Punk and Undertaker something to feud over.