DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Well, bear in mind that with the exception of the "every sale counts" books (X-Factor is ending, so that leaves maybe G3k and Ant-Man if the latter doesn't take off) I've been looking for a place to hop off Marvel for a while. I can't justify spending $12-15 per week on shit that can be had for $100 a year if I wait six months to read it when there's other comics and I have other hobbies. This isn't even so much a "fuck it, I'm out" as a need to get my comics in the most financially efficient fashion, and if I'm going to have an MCU sub ANYWAY (which I will)...

I think I'm with Matt here. I'm a little bit scared, but cautiously optimistic.

It's hard to imagine they will screw things up as badly as DC did.

The thing about DC is that the idea was good, it just was executed so fucking poorly.  Batman was/is great, Wonder Woman was pretty damn good, the middle part of Green Arrow was outstanding, and everything else was kind of just blah.  Apparently they were making money hand over fist those first couple of months, but they didn't really give their readers insentive to stick around.  They should have taken more chances, and pushed more boudaries to keep readers interested, but they basically reset at #1 and kept telling the same ol' stories. 

Hopefully Marvel learns from this and pushes their entire universe in a more creative direction.  I've really liked a lot of the Marvel Now stuff, and a lot of the newer solo books for their more minor characters.  Over the last few years they've hit more than they've missed on their more controversial storylines.  Superior Spider-Man,  was shat upon when it was announced, but it was a great series that readers loved.  All-New X-Men has taken a downturn lately, but was great for the first 12 issues or so.  I've enjoyed the new Thor and Captain America books, but they are too new to judge as a whole.  If this is an opportunity to make more creative choices like these, I'm all for it and I'm not going to shit on it before I find out.

• Like 1

If it brings back the Peter/MJ marriage, I'm down.  I haven't bought a 616 Spidey book since they erased it.

That is the only thing I would like to see. Otherwise I'm not really keen on any alternate universes aspects merging with the main one.

I just wonder if this is designed to mirror the movie universe.

They just shoehorn that in anyways:

• pre-Axis Tony Stark had already become RDJ's version, They've even managed to pull in the Science Bro element with him and Banner at times.
  • Rogue lost 3 decades worth of character development and now resembles the Anna Paquin version of the character more.
  • Starlord & The Guardians were almost downright rebooted to resemble the movie version thanks to Bendis. The only element I've seen to earlier stories is when he finally mentions what happened to Richard Rider.
  • Nick Fury, Sr. was taken off the board to bring in Nick Fury, Jr. They've since incorporated Coulson, and have just introduced FitzSimmons & May from Agents of SHIELD. (Skye was vaguely based on an already existing character)

If it brings back the Peter/MJ marriage, I'm down.  I haven't bought a 616 Spidey book since they erased it.

That was actually lightly referenced during Spider-Verse. A couple of the Spider-Men are comparing notes on their similar worlds, and the only notable difference (which is shown, not spoken about) is that one of the Peters has a wedding ring.

My fear is that whatever the reset winds up being, there will be some character who remembers everything and this will all be irrelevant.

Not only that, but happens to characters that were just killed off?

The X-Men are marginalized like white people are marginalized

There are like 10 X-Men comics right now, there is literally no way they decide to push them to the background.  The comic readers and movie watchers are kind of like MMA fans and wrestling fans, there is some crossover, but neither group really wants either genre to change.  If they think that minimizing the X-Men will affect Fox's movies negatively they are insane.  Those characters have 50+ years of history and are part of the culture in a way that isn't really going to go away no matter what they do.  They don't have Spider-Man movies, but they've clearly put a lot of focus on Spider-Man over the last year or so.  X-Men are tied to Marvel comics tighter than any other characters not named Peter Parker, doing something to hurt the X-men brand is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• 2 weeks later...

Ms. Marvel Vol. 1. Read the first issue of this a few months back and didn't think much of it. Reading it again along with the next 5 or issues gave me a much higher opinion. I really enjoy Kamala's story of a young woman trying to figure who she is and who she wants to be. The art isn't my cup of tea, but it does work well with the story and atmosphere being presented. I can see now why this has become such a successful and popular series. Will have to keep my eye or what else Wilson might be writing for marvel now that she has a contract.

Captain Marvel: Higher, Faster, Further, More. This one kind of frustrated me. I love Carol in space. Deconnick's character writing has been generally enjoyable for me. She makes Carol and those around quite fun to read. And I actually thought the plot here was a step up from anything she was did in the previous volume. I was really enjoying the hell out of this until two things came about. One, somehow Deconnick has managed to write J'son of Spartax even shittier than Bendis. The character under Deconnick is way too on the nose with his villainy w/o even a hint of subtly. And two, the use of vibranium as the big plot element for the arc was highly lazy. It didn't make sense to the plot considering the actual properties of vibranium, and honestly when you're going cosmic you need to be using the freedom to go bigger. Honestly stuff like this really does sort of push why Deconnick hasn't been given a contract. She just seems to lack the mind to take things up a notch creatively. Frustrations aside this was still good fun. Carol in space fits incredibly well. Hopefully its something that sticks for a while.

Shang-Chi under Hickman has been weird, in that it's clear that Hickman wants him to be important, has specific things he wants Shang to do, but hasn't really positioned him that well or written the stories himself to really make him shine. I'm not familiar with any of the talent, but hopefully they'll make him shine.

I marked out for the last 3 pages of New Avengers. No clue where it's going, but my favorite Avenger (who had been name-dropped at the very beginning of TRO and then never really referenced again) returning with the cavalry makes me happy. If they *are* the cavalry, which is yet to be proven.

I blew through the Bendis X-books until the second post-BotA issue of each during the weekend and today. They're not flawless, but they're certainly more competent than anything Bendis did on Avengers (thus leading to the question "what the fuck happened for that seven-year stretch? Was your brain hemmhoraging?") I want a Fabio Medina Legends toy, just so that there will be a thing in Toys R Us labeled MARVEL'S GOLDBALLS. Looking forward to seeing where he takes Laura. As much as the Avengers Arena concept (and the fact that every character who dies was either introduced in that story or an Avengers Academy kid) makes me want to throw shit, I have to admit that Hopeless did a pretty good job carrying her forward from Jeanne-Marie's betrayal in Avengers Arena and Bendis did a good job saying "So what the fuck happens NOW? She was a mess before, and then we basically took a shit in her eye and killed most of her friends."

Bendis on the X-books has been interesting. All New started off so fresh and interesting, but has dragged this last year. His Uncanny started off kind mild as I think he sucked up to the to anti-Avengers/pro-Cyclops fans too much, but the last year has seen the book pick up a good deal in quality. With both series though it feels like he doesn't have a real endgame/goal.

So Bendis is apparently gone form the X-titles with Uncanny X-men #600. Not sure how I feel about this as I don't know who would be an obvious person to take over. Whoever does probably won't until after Secret Wars anyways and who knows what the team or that area of Marvel will even look like then. I just wish he was giving up Guardians as well.

X-men doesn't really come across as something along Hickman's tastes. Post Secret Wars Hickman is taking a break for sure. He does intend to do more Marvel at some point, but it sounds more like when a story comes to him.