DVDVR Message Board

Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtle Thread

Craig H

CGI is *really* fucking expensive, for the hardware setup needed to do the animation and redering, to the manpower hours needed to have the people do the animations, match everything up where its supposed to line up in the raw video,  than do whatever when they hit "render" and wait for hours to see if they got it right and have to redo it again if they screwed something up.

So I would say, CGI isn't so much getting worse, as some effects houses are cutting costs, which means corners, which means scaling back on the quality and not as many re-renders to correct mistakes or clean up things better.

And people realizing again that practical effects actually look better/are cheaper and start using a mix.

Dependant on the shot.  If you're doing miniatures, they yeah, because the model makers are fewer and more expensive.  You filling a dude with bullets, squibs, fake blood, and prop guns are cheaper than paying a bunch of guys to sit infront of a CGI farm to render everything.  

Also, like any art, it's as good as the people doing it.  It being done by shitty artists, its gonna look shit, and there are a fucking TON of art schools churning out people that think they're on par with the graphics designers of Jurassic Park (the single best CGI movie, IMO), when they're just above Home Movies.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Apparently David Tennant is voicing Prof. Honeycutt/Fugitoid on the current Nick cartoon.  I really need to revisit that show; I was decidedly unimpressed with the first season, but it sounds like they've been working hard to mash up the Mirage originals, the 80s cartoon and the Archie comics.  When someone told me they were doing the arc that became the first movie (Shredder takes over NYC, Splinter nearly dies, the Turtles and Casey flee the city and come back for a showdown) I was legit surprised.  I don't know if it can ever usurp the 4kids as my favorite iteration of the concept, but I need to give it a fairer shake than I did when it was new. (Jeffrey Combs as Rat King, though, that's perfect casting.)

About 2 years back I watched about half of the 2003 series and was surprised at how good it was about putting together the original comic storylines while adding to it.  This reminds me I should go back and finish watching it sometime.  I haven't seen any of the current Nick series.  Is it back to being geared towards a younger audience?  I've found the first cartoon series has aged really poorly.

Here's what facebook says is a new trailer-

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

About 2 years back I watched about half of the 2003 series and was surprised at how good it was about putting together the original comic storylines while adding to it.  This reminds me I should go back and finish watching it sometime.  I haven't seen any of the current Nick series.  Is it back to being geared towards a younger audience?  I've found the first cartoon series has aged really poorly.

The Nick series falls somewhere between the two. Its for a younger audience, but there is still actual plot and movement within the characters' stories. You also get the occasional homages like an episode where they clearly fought Lo-Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Nickelodeon series is pretty good.  It's got a nice longform ongoing storyline and season long arcs.  Sometimes the explanations and resolutions are a little contrived, but the show is very good at world building.

On 4/13/2016 at 2:31 PM, Ligerbusa said:

Teasing the turtles as humans is so lame.

If they started as humans it would be one thing, but they started as just regular baby turtles.  Even Splinter in this show was never a human.  

• 1 month later...

So Paramount announced that Brad Garrett is now voicing Krang not Fred Armisen as originally announced.

I would joke "good thing they two weeks before the movie comes out" but I am sure this switch was made awhile ago and they are just announcing it now.

Right... right... RIGHT?

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So Paramount announced that Brad Garrett is now voicing Krang not Fred Armisen as originally announced.

I would joke "good thing they two weeks before the movie comes out" but I am sure this switch was made awhile ago and they are just announcing it now.

Right... right... RIGHT?

I refer you to this:

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first one and there was something about it that I really liked and something else about it that I hated. I honestly can't remember...Maybe it was that any time the turtles were with Will Arnett, the movie worked? Fuck, I don't want to watch that fucking thing again, but there were definitely times where I thought the movie was ok.

• 2 weeks later...