DVDVR Message Board

June 2014 Football thread

The Natural

Yeah, United have been strongly linked with Vermaelen for the last week or so. I feel...uninspired.

Of course, they've also been linked with Blind, Martins Indi, de Vrij, Robben, Depay, every other member of the Dutch squad that isn't van Persie, Gullit, Cryuff, Neeskens, Rijkaard, Verhoeven, Hauer, Rembrandt and every other Dutch person on the planet. 

I like van Gaal and Holland doing well at the World Cup but, at the same time, the sooner they're out the sooner he gets back to get shit done. First call of action must surely be to get shot of the deadwood, notably, but not limited to, Anderson/Nani/Cleverley/Young. He doesn't do that and I may call for drastic action like getting another ginger Scot in; Gordan Strachan for instance. Hey, at least it'd be an entertaining ginger Scot this time:

Reporter: 'Gordan, can we have a quick word?'

'Velocity.'

* Walks off *

• Like 1

Yeah, I know.

It's a strange one though, of all the non-Dutch players they could have signed, they go for the crock that can't get in the Arsenal team. I know he'd be cheap but no point in buying a guy just to sit in the treatment room keeping Nani company.

But then I've seen reports Arsenal might take Cleverley in exchange for him. I'm...uninspired but also conflicted.

Seriously, who would've thought US/Portugal wasn't even the most mental finish of the DAY yesterday?

I'm surprised Las Palmas hasn't threatened to sue the FA. I mean yeah, it was their own fans that fucked this thing up for them, but why let facts get in the way of a good, frivolous lawsuit?

Random question after seeing (for the 176th time during this World Cup) that horrendous 666Bet.com advert starring noted gobshite Harry Redknapp. Should, you know, active football managers be allowed to advertise a fecking betting site? It strikes me as being really shady.

Actually, wait...Harry Redknapp. Answered my own question.

Watching the Portugal/US game today makes me wonder what the Hell Giggs was thinking giving Nani 3 more years. Mayhaps Van Gaal can remedy that.

Nani renewed his contract in September It had nothing to do with Giggs. It was Moyes and brain of britain Ed Woodward. He's had a rubbish world cup and has been a joke at United for 2 or 3 years.

The stupid thing is plenty of teams still want to buy him for £15m-£20m.

The deal for Ander Herrera is expected to be completed in the next 24 hours.

That's a lot of cash. Wouldn't Banega or somebody of that ilk be more worth it? Is Herrera the shit? I've only seen a few matches and he didn't stick out, though players in his role don't often have to in order to be effective.

MLS returns from a 2 week break tonight as the Whitecaps host the Impact. Metro hosts TFC on Friday. Cahill and Henry should both be back and Bradley will be missing for TFC so that should help. Will be interested to see what the crowd is and if there will be a World Cup boost.

Must be weird playing in the World Cup against the greatest players in the world then 4 days later playing MLS. I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I genuinely wonder how a player finds that motivation.

Or maybe Cahill is just a professional and will get on with it.

Rather have Baines, but that ain't happening, and its a good upgrade from Evra and a fucking MASSIVE upgrade from Buttiner.

As for Herrera, considering what else we got in the Midfield with Giggs retiring, he's a definite upgrade over just about everyone not named Michael Carrick (I don't count Mata or Kagawa as mids, they're 9's.)

I remember being about 8 and hearing that Milan had signed that dude Lentini for £13 million and at the time I couldn't comprehend that figure, I mean how in the flying fiddler's fuck is anyone worth that much I thought. 

Now United are splashing out £27-30 million on an 18 year old left back who has had one decent season in top flight football. But then you can say if you get 10-12 years out of him as United's 1st choice left back the price could work out ok in the end but that's all if and maybe and possibly.

I don't even know what my point is other than holy fuck at the money in football and agents are having the time of their lives.

• Like 2