DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact 4-10-14

This wasn't the best show ever, but it was quite entertaining. EY's win set up a nice mini-Bryan story of a beloved bearded babyface going for the title. Mr. Anderson regained his charisma by changing his hair color, while Davey decided to make his hair as wacky as his facial expressions with a reddish-blonde mohawk. It's a shame they didn't really pay off the funny farm bit here, because it was the one letdown to an otherwise fantastic skit that was the best thing Anderson's done in TNA in a long time. AND THEN ERIC YOUNG BECAME TNA WORLD CHAMPION! This was a nice feel-good story show, and it's a week that really could use another one.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/04/tna-impact-4-10-14.html

Screens -

9820f4320033690.jpg

0f2578320023666.jpg

c1e6cf320023702.jpg

f25748320024920.jpg

f61c0a320024927.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/kpcgtcelfdn5lax6x4a5mhr5fc3nxazh

They got "Don't Fire Eric" over for him before. This is a WWE copycat deal, but one of the few that's being done just differently enough that it doesn't entirely feel like one. It's aided by them giving him titles before and having him be someone that TNA fans have been behind to some degree for at least eight years, and bringing up yeah, it's crazy, BUT HE'S SERIOUS ABOUT THE TITLE DAMMIT.

Such a feel good week for wrestling, first, a scruffy bearded underdog wins a match to get a title shot and finally wins the title on the main event of the same show defying the odds...

and now Eric Young wins the title too!

On the other hand, i'm happy for EY.

Rockstar Spud's suit is the real star of this show. The TNA World title run of Eric Young will not end well for anyone. This is the same company who handed the title to Chris Sabin as a Life Time Achievement Award and then proceeded to continue to have him come off as second rate. The generic theme music, the weaksauce babyface promos (Sabin works better as a heel), and then of course underminding his credibility at ever turn. I feel the word 'fluke' is going to be used a lot by Taz and Tenay when talking about EY's title reign much like Tenay and West called Taylor Wilde 'The Upset Queen' despite her having legit wins against top KOs and being The KO champion at-the-time.

I'd like to be happy for EY but I imagine getting the TNA world title at this point in the equivalent of getting that gaudy knitted jumper from grandma at xmas that you just know you're going to have to wear at least once while she's around to placate her.

• Like 1

I love how TNA is trying to give its fans feel-good moments to spike ratings. Sabin last year and EY this year. It's good that they want to "reward" the tenured stars, but it's not like they're going to pay them anymore money and if they ask for a raise, the door is thataway.

As much as I've enjoyed EY over the years and thought he was underutilized, this is essentially Santino winning the TNA belt.

I wish I could say it's been devalued, but this is TNA. Come on.

I have this on dvr so I'll have to watch it tomorrow or something. God I love TNA. Lets take something in theory that could get people to buy a PPV and maybe build up a match.

NOPE-Dean-Ambrose-2.jpg

I love EY. I'm sure he can be a great world champion. But this is just TNA's inferiority complex to the WWE. Hey a guy with a beard is their champion...shit who do we have that has a beard.

As a big EY fan, I'm delighted to see him win the world title. He's one of the most popular guys on the roster, has great charisma, is one of their few homegrown stars and is a terrific wrestler. I can see the Santino comparison, but EY has always been pushed as a great wrestler who just happens to be goofy, rather than Santino being a goof who wrestles. I also suspect the TNA fanbase will accept this easier than a Santino reign would be in WWE.

Crazy that EY won the title just like that. Surprised they didn't wait until the PPV but I hope they don't just put it right back on Magnus there. Magnus' reign was never really good and hopefully Young's doesn't go as terribly as Sabin's last year.

The second the "Rumble" got down to EY vs. 3 heels - I knew EY was winning the title.

Of course - I thought they would wait till the PPV but someone probably realized a PPV headlined by Mangus vs. EY was absurd.

Man was there a lot of nonsense on this show. Stupid getting sucked in because it was "live"

Santino is a WWE comedy gimmick with a pretty rigid match formula. EY has been around the block, is credible and can put together nice matches and it's fucked up comparing the two. Please tell me what actual parallels there are other than "he has a beard" and you love to hate on TNA.

It's not fucked up comparing Santino and EY because both are comedy characters.

EY IS a legit underutilized, under-appreciated, and underrated wrestler and someone who deserves the belt if we base it on merits of tenure and the amount of shit he's had to eat over the years. I'm not arguing that and no one is. But they haven't treated EY as a credible wrestler since when? Ever? This is the dude that held the Knockouts Tag Titles and we're supposed to just be okay, logically, with him winning the top title. I get that it's Eric Young and it's like, "YES, THEY FINALLY GIVE THE STRAP TO SOMEONE GOOD," but he's not good in the sense that the way he's been portrayed on TV is absolute horrible. If Tyson Kidd won the title randomly tomorrow, it'd be great for the sheer moment of it all, but it'd make no fucking sense whatsoever. Granted, EY has been a consistent TV character for years whereas Tyson Kidd is not, but it just shows you that you can't just have Joe Schomo win the title just because. There's a reason the Austin Aries title switch worked and the Chris Sabin one did not and it's not because Aries is a better worker than Sabin (which he is).

EY HAS been around the block and can definitely put together far better matches than Magnus.

But EY is not credible. At all. At allllllll.

• Like 1

HOWEVER, they did set this up by bringing up that he's held every other singles title in TNA...even counting the Global and TV titles as separate, but whatever. They at least attempted to give him some on-paper credibility, and in his matches, he has been portrayed as less of a goof and more of a guy who could be serious. This isn't Super Eric winning the title, or "EY takes off shorts to reveal speedo" winning the title, it's "Showtime" Eric Young, someone with a...very diverse past in the company that they full acknowledged and they still gave him the title. This seems like something they've planned out to at least some degree, and maybe Joe was supposed to win it tonight and they just called an audible. No matter what, I'm glad to see EY with the title. It's at least a good story, and is better than Magnus having his basic nothing-happening matches.

Magnus needed credibility BADLY before getting the title. They had something before all the fuck finishes, and just doing that over and over wasn't working for anyone. If reign two for him is taken seriously, then losing it to EY will be a good move overall. Magnus can still cut his same promo, just with "THIS IS YOUR UNCROWNED CHAMPION SPEAKING" instead. They set up that he had burned every bridge going to the dark side, and tonight was the night when it came back to haunt him. There are a lot of ways they can go with this, and I reserve the right to be excited until the taping results come in.

• Like 1

Just for me (though I am sure there are others who feel this way) - the HUGE problem is how stupid it comes off to do this entire angle less than a week after Mania

It's one thing to space it out through the PPV but to compress into one night with no build... yeah...

• Like 1

The second the "Rumble" got down to EY vs. 3 heels - I knew EY was winning the title.

Of course - I thought they would wait till the PPV but someone probably realized a PPV headlined by Mangus vs. EY was absurd.

Man was there a lot of nonsense on this show. Stupid getting sucked in because it was "live"

It's a PPV being bought by fewer people than bought WoW: Unleashed. I don't the the main matters.