DVDVR Message Board

2014-2015 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

My alma La Salle is chasing this kid hard.

He's from Senegal and has played basketball for less than two years. He's 7'5", still growing. He wears crazy goggles when he plays. He's from Senegal. He has a 4.0 GPA. He goes by the name "Tacko."

I have never wanted to land a recruit more than this kid.

Watching the video, he has at least one teammate who's almost as tall as he is. You shouldn't have to piggy-back on someone's shoulders to take the opening tip off is all I'm saying...

• 1 month later...

John Calipari has decided to remain the state of Kentucky's highest paid employee until 2021.  

The state of Kentucky will use taxpayer dollars and bonds to pay him $52.5 million between now and then.

At most schools that would seem excessive, but knowing that state and the kind of revenue they probably bring it, I wonder if it will off-set it?

John Calipari has decided to remain the state of Kentucky's highest paid employee until 2021.  

The state of Kentucky will use taxpayer dollars and bonds to pay him $52.5 million between now and then.

Rick Pitino actually had a higher salary until this deal. Besides, as anyone who lives here knows, the biggest tax fraud in the state is that money pit known as the Yum Center.

3 Final Fours in 5 years. He deserves to be the second highest paid coach in college basketball.

• 2 months later...

Just a brief programming note that I thought I'd pass along(that you probably all know about already).  ESPN Full Court is no longer a ppv service with Time Warner Cable.  Not sure about the other providers, but if you have the sports package with TWC, you get Full Court and Gameplan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in a college basketball pool this year. There are 55-ish people in it.

It is a snake draft (1-55 and then 55-1).

In this draft, everyone picks six teams. You get a point for each win. Whoever gets the most points at the end of the season wins. It includes ALL of the post-season tournaments -- NCAA, NIT, CBI, etc.

I pick 30th.

The strategy in this is awesome, especially once you get to 30th-ish. I am hoping a good mid-major in a weak conference falls my way. The object is wins and not RPI, so being in a one-bid conference doesn't matter. Louisiana Tech won 29 games last year but didn't make the dance. There were only 15 teams with 29 or more wins.  I'd rather avoid a big conference school at 30. Those teams just cannibalize themselves. A team can go 10-2 in the pre-season in the ACC and end up 18-10 really quickly.

EDIT:

I had my eyes set on three teams at 30th. I was hoping Harvard would slip, as they return a bunch and have become a really consistent mid-major program. The Ivy will be better than it has in recent years, but Harvard should still win the conference going away. Sadly, they went at 23.

The team I was SALIVATING over was Georgia State. GA State won 27 games last year and didn't make the tournament because they lost their conference tournament. They return nearly everyone from that team, including two absolutely sick guards who have NBA potential. The only team last year that challenged them was UL-Lafayette, who saw their junior point guard leave school to get drafted 10th. They look like world beaters.

The only reason I was leaning Harvard over GA State is program consistency. Harvard brings it every year under Amaker.

But it was all for naught, as the Panthers got drafted two picks before me.

I ended up with the Toledo Rockets. Toledo won 27 games last year and return four starters and 10 of their 11 rotation players. Three of their starters are All-Conference seniors. The MAC also doesn't really have a clear second team that can challenge them. Toledo also plays two really tough schools in VCU and Duke in the OOC schedule. They also have Oregon but I don't think the Ducks are all that good. The Rockets could snag 13 OOC wins.They would then have to go 14-4 in the conference, which they did last year. That's 27 regular season wins and maybe they win a few more in the conference tournament.

I think it's a good pick. I've got a bunch of teams I hope fall to me next. THIS IS NERVERACKING!

This pool is going to be the DEATH of me!

In the second round, I had a list of teams I wanted slowly hoping to drop my way. I was hoping for Sam Houston State, who won over 20 last year and return a ton. In addition, they're in the same conference as that really good Stephen F. Austin team -- they lost three times to them, two times to some good BCS school that made the tournament and another to some other good team. They look like a really good bet.

Nope. Taken a few spots ahead.

Next on my list was UC-Santa Barbara. They have the best player in the country no one has ever heard of in Alan Williams. He averaged over 20 and 10 last year and shot over 60 percent. They won 20 (or maybe a bit above.) They return most of their team last year and with some absolute beast, they look good, despite a really hard OOC schedule (to boost their RPI).

Nope. Taken right before me.

I was on the clock and was hedging between a bunch of teams. I ended up gulping and taking UMass. They won 24 last year but graduated their PG who was their best player. But they return a few other guys who were super good (including Lasme, maybe the best player in the conference now). I am a huge A-10 fan, too. They're picked fourth in the A-10 by the coaches. The A-10 usually puts in 5 or 6 teams in the dance and they all win over 20 games.

This is fun.

I finally got to my third round pick. The draft stalled a bit because of people's schedules. I ended up taking your 2014-15 LA SALLE EXPLORERS.

This means nothing to you, likely. This is my beloved alma mater.

I picked them largely out of loyalty, their possibly being good (awesome senior frontcourt and a ton of transfers debuting) and a lack of time to research other picks.

This thing is wonderful.

It's arguably the biggest academic scandal in the history of college athletics. An astounding TEN players from the 2005 title team were involved in fake classes.

UNC should have hundreds of wins, multiple seasons and 3 national titles vacated. But I doubt the NCAA has the balls to destroy one of their sacred cows. Didn't bother them with Kentucky in the late 80's for a MUCH less egregious offense (academics are always worse than money at a university) but that's another story...

The "Carolina Way" is permanently tainted.

It's arguably the biggest academic scandal in the history of college athletics. An astounding TEN players from the 2005 title team were involved in fake classes.

UNC should have hundreds of wins, multiple seasons and 3 national titles vacated. But I doubt the NCAA has the balls to destroy one of their sacred cows. Didn't bother them with Kentucky in the late 80's for a MUCH less egregious offense (academics are always worse than money at a university) but that's another story...

The "Carolina Way" is permanently tainted.

This is the type of thing that "show cause" orders were invented for. But like you said, the NCAA lacks the balls to do it. . . 

Whereas at Kentucky they don't need to worry about creating fake classes because the "student athletes" are there for all of one semester.

Really, dude? That old argument?

The highest GPA on average in the SEC. A 3.4 SPRING GPA last year, 3.12 the year they won the title. Five players on the academic honor roll for the '13 team the following season. Brandon Knight, the starting point guard for the '11 Final Four team, had a 4.0 both semesters. Returning juniors and sophomores Alex Poythress and the Harrison twins (major contributors to the team) all average a B or higher. Two juniors and seven sophomores for the '14-'15 team could hardly only go to class for one semester, don't ya think? The "going one semester" argument has already been demolished, you just need to educate yourself.

Aren't you a UConn fan? Might want to look in the mirror before you spew out tiresome myths without any facts or evidence.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5662321

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2012/4/6/2930023/uconn-basketball-faces-2013-post-season-ban

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8077431/connecticut-huskies-9-others-sit-postseason-apr

National champs Illinois! WHOO!

Yeah, I would hope they would take away at least one title -- maybe the 2005 one. But nothing will come of this. I feel like the NCAA will probably say this was an academic issue and not an athletic one since other students could take the fake classes as well. Vacating a Final Four is one thing. They won't vacate a title, though. Especially for a school like UNC.