DVDVR Message Board

2014-2015 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Columbia is hanging with Kentucky into the second half. No, really. 

As much as it pains me to say, Kentucky is the most overrated team in the country. Great defensive team, absolutely awful on offense. Can't hit a fucking shot to save their lives.

The biggest problem is guard play. The twins were extremely overrated out of high school. They just got hot at the right time last year and helped the team to the Final Four. It's becoming clearer with each game that was an anomaly.

Eastern Kentucky is a decent-ish small-sized program. They run one of the best Princeton-ish offenses in the country. They're coached by Jeff Neubauer. I know this because he went to La Salle.

This is my segue!

La Salle is pretty "eh" coming out of the non-conference schedule. We played Virginia and Villanova tough, got smoked by Vanderbilt, lost a one-point heartbreaker to Temple and lost in OT to American. They're super inconsistent.

But they have one saving grace. That is Jordan Price, who is on the "best player in the country no one has heard of" list. He was a Top 100 recruit out of high school. He went to Auburn but didn't play much his freshman year. He sat out last year and took a few games to find his footing but he's arrived and is really, really, really good. He's averaging 18.8 for the season but has gone nuts his past three games -- putting up almost 29 a game while shooting 54% from the field, with 11 3FG's made and is also averaging over 4 assists and 4 boards during that stretch.

I'm really excited for him. He's superb already.

• 3 weeks later...

Angel Rodriguez is fucking awesome.

Traevon Jackson is going to miss at least 6 weeks with a broken foot.  Koenig should be able to step in pretty well, but it looks like Wisconsin's lack of depth is going to start hurting them.

Angel Rodriguez is fucking awesome.

Traevon Jackson is going to miss at least 6 weeks with a broken foot.  Koenig should be able to step in pretty well, but it looks like Wisconsin's lack of depth is going to start hurting them.

He does some head scratching shit at times but he's been money for the most part.

One loss to a solid side playing out of their minds isn't struggling.

That's TWO losses, both by double digits. I wouldn't have written that post after the NC State game because everybody loses road games in conference.

Duke can't play defense. They're terrible off the bounce, with no real rim protector to make up for it. Another year, another Duke team relying too heavily on offense. Only this time, it's with freshmen.

One loss to a solid side playing out of their minds isn't struggling.

That's TWO losses, both by double digits. I wouldn't have written that post after the NC State game because everybody loses road games in conference.

Duke can't play defense. They're terrible off the bounce, with no real rim protector to make up for it. Another year, another Duke team relying too heavily on offense. Only this time, it's with freshmen.

Obviously I'm a UM fan but even I admit that even though we are fairly solid, we are a flawed team. Other than Jekiri we have no presence down low but Duke only managed to outscore us 38-36 in the paint.

From a Duke website regarding last night's game:

•    Duke outscored Miami in the paint, 38-36, marking the first time in four games the Blue Devils were able to score more points in the paint than its opponent.

UNC better hope Marcus Paige stays healthy as I haven't seen a North Carolina teams fortunes ride on a player that much in long time.

He isn't healthy right now.

I do find it funny as hell though that SMU with Larry Brown is being investigated by the NCAA for bringing the Carolina way of academics to a school that isn't Carolina.

The 5-11 (0-5 in conference) Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles have self-imposed a post-season ban for this season. This seems as meaningful as me self-imposing a ban on dating intelligent, funny, athletic women.

• Like 1

UNC better hope Marcus Paige stays healthy as I haven't seen a North Carolina teams fortunes ride on a player that much in long time.

He isn't healthy right now.

I do find it funny as hell though that SMU with Larry Brown is being investigated by the NCAA for bringing the Carolina way of academics to a school that isn't Carolina.

I meant healthy enough to play

Watching Buzzer Beater this weekend and getting a load of everyone's crazy floors (NIU and CSU-Northridge in particular), at what point did the ADs get together and decide to go "Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" with their floors?