DVDVR Message Board

2014-2015 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24765822/uncs-unprecedented-academic-fraud-case-will-test-ncaa

"Several people familiar with NCAA enforcement outlined a couple elements to what the NCAA may look for based on Wainstein's report. For starters, they have no doubt the North Carolina case rises to Level I violations (the highest level in the NCAA's structure and defined as a severe breach of conduct)."

"I feel almost certain that this is an egregious case of lack of institutional control," Gurney said. "If ever there was a case, this is it."

"When you bring your own academic counselor from Kansas and that counselor continued the sham for eligibility purposes, it is not believable that Roy Williams didn't know about it," Gurney said. "He asked the athletic director about the course loads."

"I can safely say that the scope of the 20-year UNC fraud scandal easily takes the prize for the largest and most nefarious scandal in the history of NCAA enforcement," said Gerald Gurney, president of the Drake Group, whose mission is to "defend academic integrity in higher education."   :o

If they don't slaughter UNC for this, they cease to exist.

I make fun of UConn all the time on here and around campus ... I fully realize their failings. But lets be honest.. These Kentucky kids aren't there for an education. They can doctor the grades or even if they aren't.. what kind of actual classes are they taking? I'd like to hear more about the types of classes than what the GPA is.

I make fun of UConn all the time on here and around campus ... I fully realize their failings. But lets be honest.. These Kentucky kids aren't there for an education. They can doctor the grades or even if they aren't.. what kind of actual classes are they taking? I'd like to hear more about the types of classes than what the GPA is.

At what college are superstar athletes there for an education? It's the singling out of UK that is old and tiresome. Duke plays the exact same game. As does Kansas. They both had a higher draft pick, one and done, than Kentucky in last year's draft. And they both could in next year's draft too. UCLA practically bought Shabazz Muhammad with an Adidas contract. Most coaches openly admit they would do the same thing if they had the ability. Others (Rick Pitino) are just assholes who can't recruit or put talent in the league, so they bitch about the system. Just because Cal was the first with so many OAD's doesn't mean he deserves all the criticism.

You totally played your hand by talking about Kentucky's grades during the midst of the biggest academic scandal in history at UNC. Very telling.

I went to La Salle. It's in the A-10 (best mid-major in college basketball) and we went to the Sweet 16 two seasons ago and have a few national championships in the distant past. We aren't anywhere close to UNC or anything like that, but it's still a decent sized program.

Kids at La Salle go to classes. They went when I was there. I had a class with NBA veteran Rasual Butler. I had a bunch of classes with our PG, who went to high school with Rasheed Wallace. I don't know how they did in classes, obviously, but they went and participated and everything. I know faculty at the school still and they all know the players and talk about how they all at least try really hard in the academic part of it.

Student athletes do have it tough. Some

I had friends who went to St. Joe's and had classes with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West when they were the number one team in the country and Jameer was national player of the year. They both went to classes and tried and were in group projects and the like. They were a team on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

True, La Salle and St. Joe's each has abut 5,000 kids compared to however many go to UNC or wherever. The small size makes a difference, I'm sure. But it's really not that hard to have kids at least go to an actual class.

UNC is getting a slap on the wrist and the NCAA can never again after that say a thing.

I went to La Salle. It's in the A-10 (best mid-major in college basketball) and we went to the Sweet 16 two seasons ago and have a few national championships in the distant past. We aren't anywhere close to UNC or anything like that, but it's still a decent sized program.

Kids at La Salle go to classes. They went when I was there. I had a class with NBA veteran Rasual Butler. I had a bunch of classes with our PG, who went to high school with Rasheed Wallace. I don't know how they did in classes, obviously, but they went and participated and everything. I know faculty at the school still and they all know the players and talk about how they all at least try really hard in the academic part of it.

I had friends who went to St. Joe's and had classes with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West when they were the number one team in the country and Jameer was national player of the year. They both went to classes and tried and were in group projects and the like. They were a team on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

True, La Salle and St. Joe's each has abut 5,000 kids compared to however many go to UNC or wherever. The small size makes a difference, I'm sure. But it's really not that hard to have kids at least go to an actual class.

UNC is getting a slap on the wrist and the NCAA can never again after that say a thing.

St. Joseph's grad here and I agree with everything you said.

Big 5 basketball forever.

Preseason Rankings from USA Today:

#1 - Ask us about our turtle faced senator!

#2 - Ask us about our immigration policy!  Wait, why are you asking for my ID?

#3 - Ask us about our lacrosse team!  Or better yet, don't.

#4 - Ask us about our arena/cheese shop. 

#5 - Ask us about our ultra-marathon loving, DVDVR-posting graduates!

Oooh boy I don't know if I can keep this up all season long.

• Like 1

Former student manager for Bradley here. I get the impression academic standards were on the lax side when Stan Albeck was running things, but Jim Molinari had zero tolerance for his players sandbagging athletically or academically. I believe his players had a 91% graduation rate, and this wasn't "rocks for jocks" shit either- we had a bunch of engineering majors, including at least one guy with a DOUBLE MAJOR in that.

Conner Frankamp announced that he is transferring from KU at the end of the semester.  Sounds like he wasn't happy with the playing time he'd be getting this season.  On the one hand, I hate KU losing him, but on the other I think there's a decent chance he ends up a Shocker.

Conner Frankamp announced that he is transferring from KU at the end of the semester.  Sounds like he wasn't happy with the playing time he'd be getting this season.  On the one hand, I hate KU losing him, but on the other I think there's a decent chance he ends up a Shocker.

To me, this is good news, because it implies Mason and Graham were ahead of him on the depth chart. (Although, Frankamp was the go to shooter at the end of last year, and with him gone, we're either counting on a much better 3 ball from Selden, or more playing time for Greene.)

St. Joseph's grad here and I agree with everything you said.

Big 5 basketball forever.

I still have no idea if the rest of the country gets just how awesome Big 5 games are. Do you guys?

Every year, a few of the games are held at UPenn's Palestra, which is the best indoor sports venue in the country, hands DOWN. It's the second oldest arena in the country and seats about 8,000. The hallways and bathrooms and concessions suck, but the atmosphere is absolutely unreal. It's downright deafening at times. La Salle vs. Temple was an ESPN Gameday game last year and almost made me tear up with how incredible it was. Tickets for the games are split 50/50 and usually do balance that way. (Except in the rare year when one of the teams completely blows.)

The Nova/St. Joe's games are borderline bloodbaths and the most underrated rivalry in college basketball. It's the Philly area's "Holy War" and the epitome of the Snobs Vs. Slobs battle.

Philly has six D-1 teams. They're all within 10-15 miles of each other. Drexel and Penn border each other. Only Villanova's outside of the city, but it's maybe 20 minutes away from having a city address if you know what roads to take.

St. Joe's and La Salle also have a really great rivalry. They're both essentially the same school. Both are small Catholic schools whose middle class student population largely comes from the Philly-area Catholic high schools. A lot of the professors at both got their undergraduate degrees from their school before returning back to teach. There are more than a few families that will have one family go to one school and another go to the other. They're also both in the A-10, which makes things fun, too.

I would say these are the reputations of each school:

La Salle -- One of the most successful programs in college basketball history (three NCAA Players of the Year, a bunch of NIT/NCAA Tournament championships way back in the day) that fell on hard times in the 90s and 00s before becoming recently resurgent. The alumni and students have a renewed interest, so things are alive again after a lengthy down period. We have the reputation of being super critical fans (who will sadly boo the kids when they play poorly) who don't come out until the teams are actually good or playing a Big 5 rival.

St. Joe's -- They've become a regional power who sometimes break out nationally. Phil Martelli, their long-time coach, is beloved by the local media but absolutely hated by those loyal to the other schools, who think he gets a free pass by being a good quote. They have a really great student section and the best mascot in college basketball. I still LOVE beating them, though, and always will.

Villanova -- The snob rich-kid school in the insanely wealthy "Main Line" suburbs. They have a really irritating fan base. Easily the most hatable school in the city, but everyone has a grudging respect for the program and their coach (Jay Wright) is considered a great guy. (And borderline sex symbol amongst older women in the area.)

UPenn -- The longtime Ivy League power. They obviously have annoying fans/alumni (including former governor/total sleaze Ed Rendell) but, since they're an Ivy, get a lot of respect when they're on the upswing. That's due to that weird thing where Ivy League schools are somehow rooted as underdogs in the tournament despite their vast wealth and social status.

Temple -- "The only place in the city where you'll never find Temple alum is at their basketball games." They've had three decades of success. Temple's by far the biggest school in the city. But the school, until the past two decades, was largely a commuter school (in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city) so they don't have the dedication that schools with campuses do. They're gotten a lot more outpouring lately as there are more housing opportunities for students in that part of the city. They also have a 10,000 seat arena that's a borderline NBA facility. But they still oddly lack a lot of interest.

• Like 1

KU played their first exhibition last night.  There was some good stuff: Cliff Alexander plays incredibly hard and is crazy athletic.  The frontcourt in general is going to be really good with an Ellis/Traylor/Alexander rotation.  Frank Mason's outside shot looks much better than last year and he's still getting to the basket.  Kelly Oubre is crazy long and athletic and is going to be really disruptive on defense.  The bad is that they shot 50% on free throws, including 0-5 from Oubre.  Their defense was pretty bad with guys out of position and bad communication.  And Svi does not look ready to be there at all.  So there's a long way to go and they have to play Kentucky in a couple of weeks.  That could be very, very ugly.

It's not hard at all to explain the Ivy League love come tournament time. None of those dudes are on an athletic scholarship: they're doing it for the love, and if a Jeremy Lin can break out and make the NBA, that much more power to him.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty simple, really. Without Dwayne Wade, Tom Crean is an average coach at best. In the 13 seasons without Wade, he's averaged only 18 wins a season and made it to the second week of the tournament only twice.

He also has a weird "I've been thinking about you a whole lot" kind of personality. They oversign guys and run guys off every year. As Gary Parrish puts it, there's a "disconnect" between him and his players. Arrests and suspensions happening was only a matter of time in that environment.

IU fans feel free to chime in and disagree.

• 2 weeks later...