DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

Actually they told him he made the team but they wanted him to sign a 45 day advance consent release and he refused so he told them he wanted his release instead. Looks like it's Blake Beavan (yawn) and Roenis Elias (26 and never pitched above AA) to round out the rotation. I fully expect to see Wade Barrett rise up our of center field at Safeco Field in the middle of the game banging his gavel and taunting what few Mariners fans there are in attendance.

• Like 1

The Wolf thing is so damn dumb, but whatever.

Man, lots of players going down this spring...too many to even list here that we haven't covered already. This season looks like it'll be a battle of attrition - whichever team stays healthiest wins the World Series.

We need a Watt and a Ware on 2nd and 3rd with a Wen up to bat. A Howe can be on deck. I'm not sure what would be equivalent to a Why though.

What's that Mariners? You had Scott Baker penciled in as your number 3 starter before you even saw him face live competition?

image.png

So many Cubs fans bitched about not re-signing Baker. Idiots.

I fucking hate them so much. There's a somewhat small, but vocal contingent of them on BleedCubbieBlue and they're actively ruining every single thread on there on a daily basis. It doesn't help that Al Yellon, dumb fuck he is and a poor choice for the face of Cubs fans in the local and national media, claims he's on board with the rebuild and then so desires the Hendry way.

EDIT: I can also practically guarantee that he will come across this comment when he googles his name at some point today because he's a loathsome and paranoid person.

I only pop into BCB from time to time now, the overall negativity of the site in regards to having absolutely no faith in the rebuild, or in the fact that sometimes young talents like Rizzo will have incomplete years, put me off of that site. I mainly use Bleacher Nation for my Cubs info these days, seems to be a sit that has a much better handle on the concept of rebuilding, prospects, and the future in regards to the present.

Thank you, Bill. I'm glad you said that. I would gladly jump ship to Bleacher Nation because I really like Brett's work over there, but there's a big group of us who have a clear understanding of what is happening with the team and have the patience for it, but then there are those like Al, the site's fucking curator/mod, and a few others who have this notion that attendance will continually dwindle and will never bounce back. It's just constant doom and gloom and SPEND NOW ON EVERYONE and shitting on Theo/Jed for building one of the best, if not the best, farm systems in the league to compete with the Cardinals. It's a really difficult task and because they aren't winning now, then to them, the whole thing is a failure. The glory days of Hendry though, you know, where the team was swept in '07 and '08 from the playoffs and then he completely ruined the team in 2009, not to mention ruining the team for years into the future, is completely cool.

• Like 1

And here are your 2014 team payrolls: http://deadspin.com/2014-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-1551868969?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The Rays being near the bottom of that list make me have the biggest smile for what they're doing at the major league level. Same thing for the As. The Dodgers taking the top spot this year isn't surprising in the least. Also, it should be noted that AP are using luxury tax numbers so the numbers are slightly off.

EDIT: Edwin Jackson making $13 million ($11 million actually), is fucking disgusting.

I'm not sure, but the Phillies managed to sell high on past-successful lower-rotation pitchers. J.A. Happ, Vance Worley, and now Blanton.

The Yellon hate comes from his many double standards, declaring what is and isn't funny even when he's not involved, getting upset and threatening to quit (which he would never do because it's his job and pays for his season tickets) when people question why he even gets involved, getting massively upset when he thinks someone is making fun of him when people aren't which leads to him then getting made fun of for his overreaction, banning multiple people for questioning if he plagiarized something (he likely did), constantly crying and complaining about attending every home game that he buys season tickets for, getting mad at people who ask him why he then continues to be a season ticket holder if he doesn't like it, etc.

And that's really scratching the surface.