DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2014 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I admit I am still intrigued by Inquisition but DA2 enraged me so that I never finished it and I really really don't have the time to go back and play that again.

I was so enraged by my DA2 experience on a friend's console that I never finished Origins and never owned DA2 for my own console..

I rented Origins ages ago and enjoyed it. I even bought it last year, but I have not touched it. I probably should play it before Inquisition.

Is DA2 still that unplayable that it's worth skipping altogether?

It is just a much smaller, less involved game than Orgins, and everyone who loved Orgins just thought, "What the fuck is this shit?"  If it was called Random Fantasy Game it would have been much better receieved.  The story is fairly interesting, the gameplay is solid for what it is, and it is pretty fun, it just is less interesting, with lesser gameplay and less fun than Dragon Age Orgings.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it.  Not a bad game, just not what it should've been.

I admit I am still intrigued by Inquisition but DA2 enraged me so that I never finished it and I really really don't have the time to go back and play that again.

I was so enraged by my DA2 experience on a friend's console that I never finished Origins and never owned DA2 for my own console..

I rented Origins ages ago and enjoyed it. I even bought it last year, but I have not touched it. I probably should play it before Inquisition.

It is just a much smaller, less involved game than Orgins, and everyone who loved Orgins just thought, "What the fuck is this shit?"  If it was called Random Fantasy Game it would have been much better receieved.  The story is fairly interesting, the gameplay is solid for what it is, and it is pretty fun, it just is less interesting, with lesser gameplay and less fun than Dragon Age Orgings.

I thought it was a hell of lot more interesting than Origins as the story and characters were more complex and given more depth. I also found it more fun to play honestly. Its just smaller in scale.

Speaking of Dragon Age - here is their trailer but much like they did with ME3, it is done from with the female protagonist.

I really need to dig up or start the Dragon Thread again

I thought it was a hell of lot more interesting than Origins as the story and characters were more complex and given more depth. I also found it more fun to play honestly. Its just smaller in scale.

I really liked it for the record, but I'm generally a person who takes things for what they are instead of what I expect them to be.  I'd say the characters are better in 2 than Orgins, but it's been a very long time since I've played Orgins.  I'd play a game based on the character Isabela running around being a foul-mouthed, sex crazed, bad assed pirate.  Dragon Age is a close second to Destiny for my most anticipated game of the year.  Bioware has made some of my favorite games and it seems like they are going above and beyond to make sure they make it up to the fans who were disappointed in DragonAge 2.  I really want to play that game.

These were my problems with DA2

- The game breaking bug that I got and that it took them forever to patch. This is the big one for me and makes me irrationally hate the game. I fully understand that those that didn't get this bug won't have their opinions colored by it so that is why I don't begrudge folks who like it. But since I was already enraged - I became overly sensitive to other things. I invested a HUGE chunk of time into a game that I was super excited to get on release day and I was unable to complete it.

- Hey! You know that character that you spent all that time upgrading and because your strongest character? Yeah - they are going to be unavailable to you after Act 1. Oh and you know that character that you spent all that time upgrading because you lost your best character at the end of Chapter 1? Yeah... you will lose them at the end of Act 2

- The repetitiveness. Again a lot of this is me being amazingly frustrated at having to SLLLLLOOOOOWWWWLLLLLYYYY fight guys in the same looking spaces over and over again.

Never had the game breaking bug since I played it long after it was fixed.

On the second part that really is more a matter of consequences of choices. The only I character I lost regular access to was the sibling.

I agree on the repetitiveness. That was honestly my biggest problem.

Speaking of Dragon Age - here is their trailer but much like they did with ME3, it is done from with the female protagonist.

I really need to dig up or start the Dragon Thread again

The preview shot of this video is why I made the "plastic skin" comment in the E3 thread on this title.  Ugh.

Nordic Games has announced that it will start publishing games under THQ's name and trademark

Nordic had bought the rights to Darksiders, Red Faction and MX and ATV plus they owned all of THQ's social media sites already

Nordic Games has told Polygon that it has acquired the THQ trademark, allowing the company to publish games under the THQ brand.

Publisher THQ was cut up and sold off last year following bankruptcy, and Nordic Games picked up multiple assets from the company, including the Darksiders, Red Faction and MX vs ATV franchises.

Now Nordic Games says that it has also bought the rights to use the THQ name, and that the company plans to potentially publish future games in these franchises using the THQ name.

"It was kind of surprise to some industry veterans and players that we were the winner of the auction of the THQ titles," Nordic Games GM Klemens Kruezer told Polygon. "The challenging fact is nobody has ever heard about Nordic Games before [the THQ auction]. There were so many articles with the headlines ‘Who the fuck is Nordic Games?’ We said, okay they were right."

This is the reasoning behind utilizing the THQ name -- the company believes THQ is a better known brand than its own. Nordic also has access to all of THQ's social media assets, including the company's Twitter and Facebook pages.

"We are small team," Kruezer added. "The expectations from outside regarding the IPs of THQ are really high. We see it everyday on our Facebook sites. If we post something new to a project the first comments are, ‘Oh, nice. But what about Darksiders 3?’"

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are digital pinball fans but not already aware:

Farsight Studios has announced that their next Kickstarter project will be the highly-anticipated pinball table - The Addams Family.  Widely considered the #1 table of all-time, this was long thought to be pretty much impossible for licensing reasons but it'll be up on Kickstarter soon.  

And there's finally a new batch of tables coming to PS4 this week too. (As well as Zen adding NEARLY all the missing ZP2 machines to the PS4 version. All the missing Marvels, the original quartet of V12 etc., Mars and Super SF2. Only ones that stood out as still AWOL were Ninja Gaiden and Excalibur.)

And there's finally a new batch of tables coming to PS4 this week too. (As well as Zen adding NEARLY all the missing ZP2 machines to the PS4 version. All the missing Marvels, the original quartet of V12 etc., Mars and Super SF2. Only ones that stood out as still AWOL were Ninja Gaiden and Excalibur.)

Excalibur is included. I just downloaded it.

Yeah, I missed it on the lineup. I guess that makes Ninja Gaiden the only holdout, which in turn makes me suspect the rights lapsed. Weirdly, Super SF2 didn't carry over to PS4. Not super butt hurt over it, but also not spending another $3 to reacquire a lackluster table.

Is that different than the SF2 Tribute table?  Because that made it over.

It made it over, but my account is not showing me as having bought it despite my totally having bought it. It's the only table that didn't carry over for me. (Like i said after correcting for Excalibur, I'm pretty sure that Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is the only table left that didn't get a PS4 conversion at all.)