DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

So, I saw a post or respnse somewhere around these parts within the last few weeks that said that blading should be "left in the past where it belongs." So, where do you stand? Is blading an old fashioned wrasslin' parlor trick that should be left to fade away? Personally, I think that's crazy talk. A well placed blood spot can bring BIG drama when it's not over done.

Hell, I considered blading myself while typing this...

I grew up watching WWF when they didn't want blood and I'm fine with that moving forward. It makes it that much cooler when it happens naturally.

Cena getting punched in the mouth by Brock was a much better moment than that idiotic blood bath against JBL in 2005. That was disgusting.

To play devil's advocate, does the Austin/Bret finish pack quite that same punch if we don't see Austin's bloody face?

Nope. Lesnar busting Hogan open and wiping the blood across his chest was a huge moment and I'd also argue that JBL wouldn't have gotten as over as he did without the Eddie and Cena bloodbaths.

Hell, my all time favorite image of Ric Flair is this -

Flair_NWA_title_bloody.jpg

Now im not saying that we should see guys like Bo Dallas blading on NXT or even Ziggler and Sandow blading in a spotfest on RAW, but at shows like TLC, Emlination Chamber and Hell in a Cell? Yeah, I think some crimson in a couple of matches could add to the drama and perception of danger. Most of the 'Best of UFC' fights are the ones where both guys end up busted open so it's definately something that people are ok with seeing.

In the kid friendly world of WWE it doesn't make sense to have people bleeding buckets but I think one could argue that the occasional blade job would remind those kids that this stuff is dangerous and people do get hurt.

On the provision that it's used sparingly and done safely (HIV/AIDS and Hep checks for everyone on the roster) then Im more than ok with 'blading' making a return.

• Like 1

When Trips and Taker broke the rules and did the chair shot to the head at Mania, that was a moment where Taller coming up a bloody mess could have been spectacular. Sheamus could benefit from one good bloody brawl. Right now, one extreme blade now could mean so much. But only if they stay very rare.

• Like 1

Bryan vs Lesnar would be the match of all matches. They better do that before considering Sheamus. 

On the Jesse Sorensen interview: if you watch it he isn't even bitter towards Dixie and TNA and he doesn't insist or complain about the "job for life" thing at all. Hope his career turns out fine, he's a talented dude.

I don't know where I stand on Sheamus. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad. Most the time he's boring or forgettable. If he dialed down the gimmick a little & went back to just being a bad guy or kicking ass, he's fine. It's when he's trying to tell jokes & shit that he's painful.

Plus, all of his feuds seem to last forever. I don't want to see the same match five times on three PPVs in a row. I want to see it once. Maybe a rematch if there's some BS ending. The mandatory rematch along with having to fill all the TV time is what kills the shit for me, ya know?

• Like 2

Would Sheamus be a good candidate for a Brock match?

I think he's a great candidate for WE KNOW WHO THAT IS TAZ

Harsh. I think Sheamus is an ok-ish upper mid cade face and much better heel.

Despite having a terrible character, Sheamus showed in 2012 that he can absolutely bring it in the ring. Dude was having PPV quality matches with Wade Barrett in throwaway matches on Raw. Yeah, his title reign was dull as hell from a storyline perspective, but it's not his fault the writers are shit. And let's not pretend this board wouldn't flip it's shit over Brock and Sheamus beating the everloving shit out of each other for 20 minutes or so. (As long as Sheamus doesn't hit Brock in the face. His UFC career proved he doesn't like that.)

• Like 1

Despite having a terrible character, Sheamus showed in 2012 that he can absolutely bring it in the ring. Dude was having PPV quality matches with Wade Barrett in throwaway matches on Raw.

Let's be honest, in WWE being able to actually wrestle doesn't really fucking matter, does it? It's a nice bonus but it's more about if you're charismatic & can draw well. At least on the top. People weren't shelling out big bucks for André the Giant or Hulk Hogan because they were 5-star ring generals. The Rock wasn't a technically sound worker & Austin's best days were behind him.

*WE* on the internet, might care about "workrate" or whatever. Ask a casual fan about wrestling though, they'll talk about characters, wins/losses, finishers that sort of thing.

Sheamus is boring.

Despite having a terrible character, Sheamus showed in 2012 that he can absolutely bring it in the ring. Dude was having PPV quality matches with Wade Barrett in throwaway matches on Raw. Yeah, his title reign was dull as hell from a storyline perspective, but it's not his fault the writers are shit. And let's not pretend this board wouldn't flip it's shit over Brock and Sheamus beating the everloving shit out of each other for 20 minutes or so. (As long as Sheamus doesn't hit Brock in the face. His UFC career proved he doesn't like that.)

Can't hit him in the stomach either.....

I fully expect the arena to explode when 3MB or the Shield are beating down on Kofi/Rey in the Rumble only for the clock to hit zero and the speakers to blast: "It's a shameful thing, Lobster head..."

• Like 2

Sheamus is one of the many writing staff victims. He's a really good wrestler who usually gets good live reactions but for whatever reason, the writers decided to write away from his stregnths and into his weaknesses. He should've been booked like face Batista, not face Chris Jericho.

• Like 3

That Jake video a few posts back would've been much more awesome had it been late '91 and Savage was the one who popped up.

A 3rd baseman has no business being in short left for a pop-up.