DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

37 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Dear British Wrestling fans,

I’m looking for recommendations on great matches and recommended wrestlers to check out. New and old, I’m excited to learn more.

Thank you kindly,

Octopus.

You've probably seen these in chronological order:

Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate. NXT TakeOver: Chicago. *****.

WALTER vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: New York.

WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff. *****.

WALTER vs. Tyler Bate is a must see.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, zendragon said:

At one point when Ken Shamrock was in the WWF he wears a fake cast to a UFC event when he's cornering Lion's Den fighters

I was gonna say that one, but I'll go with HHH doing the same thing when he walked out with Mayweather to sell Brock breaking his arm w the kimura lock (I remember Justin Bieber and another kinda oddball person being part of that walk out too)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was gonna say that one, but I'll go with HHH doing the same thing when he walked out with Mayweather to sell Brock breaking his arm w the kimura lock (I remember Justin Bieber and another kinda oddball person being part of that walk out too)

Was Lil' Wayne the third?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I do remember Hunter walking out with Floyd (w/ Bieber), but I totally wasn't paying attention to that aspect. Maybe it's because as I mentioned before here, there are like 6,000 people in the ring before and after a fight and 99% of them don't belong there. 

• Like 1

The one walkout thing w/ a wrestler I do remember is Rey Jr. and Konnan walking out with Jhonny Gonzalez (the former Sexy Star's husband and the same guy who almost got into it with a drunk Jeff Jarrett the night Sexy Star went off script at TripleMania) the week after Perro Aguayo Jr. died. I just remember thinking, "Man...this is going to be even sadder cause Gary Russell Jr. is about to beat Jhonny's ass". And that's EXACTLY what happened. That was extremely depressing. I felt bad for those dudes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Dear British Wrestling fans,

I’m looking for recommendations on great matches and recommended wrestlers to check out. New and old, I’m excited to learn more.

Thank you kindly,

Octopus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXhMHHR4s1k&pp=ygUca2VuZG8gbmFnYXNha2kgdiBsZXMga2VsbGV0dA%3D%3D

Les Kellett vs Leon Arrass, 1974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGoKZf7XYK8&pp=ygUfcm9sbGVyYmFsbCByb2NjbyB2cyBtYXJ0eSBqb25lcw%3D%3D

Rollerball Rocco vs Marty Jones, 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGoKZf7XYK8&pp=ygUfcm9sbGVyYmFsbCByb2NjbyB2cyBtYXJ0eSBqb25lcw%3D%3D

Fit Finlay vs Danny Boy Collins, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV6hTAHqp40&pp=ygUQbWFydGluIGtpcmJ5IHZzIA%3D%3D

Martin Kirby vs Will Ospreay, 2017

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Okay so I was tracking down some random shit on Friday night as I usually do, and I came across this on eBay.

Say what now?

Spoiler

STEPHAN JOHNSON vs KEVIN POMPEY-JUNIOR JONES ONSITE BOXING PROGRAM MARCH 6,1992 - Picture 1 of 4

STEPHAN JOHNSON vs KEVIN POMPEY-JUNIOR JONES ONSITE BOXING PROGRAM MARCH 6,1992 - Picture 2 of 4

I am guessing based on the result, this wasn't one of those Mark Gastineau works.

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

He at least ended with a 2-1 record, one KO and one TKO win and one TKO loss. 

All three fights are in a 2 1/2 month span. Shit, "Pretty" Paul don't need no training camp. But yeah, after fight one, they got some dudes who weren't particularly skilled at boxing probably or some hijinks took place.

Looking at the cards he fought on, he got to be on the same bills as "Poison" Junior Jones, Marvin Hagler's brother Robbie Sims, "Iceman" John Scully, Zora Folley's son Robert Folley, Buster Drayton, and noted journeyman Melvin Wynn. That ain't exactly fighting on the same card as some weekend warriors. He had to know someone. 

Still not as wild as Archie Moore's last pro fight being Mike DiBiase. 

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am guessing based on the result, this wasn't one of those Mark Gastineau works.

Oh jeez. The Gastineau/Derrick Dukes fight still had effects in Virginia at least 15 years later.

Okay! So in 2006, I was at a show as a guest. In Virginia, wrestling is regulated by the Department of Professional Occupational Regulation (which absorbed the State Athletic Commission sometime in the 1990s), but it's rare that the commission reps actually come to the show. You send them their cut, they occasionally threaten you with fines for something they didn't see, ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on. This show, though, was in the afternoon and close enough of a drive to Richmond that they could be home at a reasonable hour, so sure enough, the commissioner was actually there. This group had a guy doing a MMA gimmick (it's 2006, UFC was red hot, makes sense, but he had credentials to pull it off), and he won his match with a rear naked choke. Easy peasy. No big deal.

Except the commissioner FLIPS OUT and threatens to shut the show down.

Why? Two reasons.

1) At the time - and I don't know if this is still the case or not - licensing for MMA was way more expensive than it was for wrestling, like ten times as much, and he didn't want people either thinking that they were coming to wrestling shows and getting MMA or MMA promoters licensing their fighters as pro wrestlers and claiming their MMA show was a pro wrestling show to have cheaper licensing.

2) The commissioner was the assistant to the commissioner alllllll the way back in the early-1990s when the Gastineau/Dukes fight happened, and remembered the uproar that happened. He didn't want wrestlers licensing themselves as MMA fighters and having fixed fights.

So somehow that would have been prevented by pro wrestlers not using chokes or armbars in their matches, and by eliminating tapouts. Seriously, that was the solution the commission pitched; no chokes, no armbars, matches ending by submission couldn't be done by a tapout.

Then WWE came to down like a month later and there were at least three matches that ended via submission, a tapout submission at that, and sure enough the commission backed off.

But needless to say, that was a weird month. Damn you Derrick Dukes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Can somebody give me a shorthand about Dukes and Gastineau because I don't want to Google all these sites I see. Dukes is wrestler, takes a fall for Gastineau in boxing match, big uproar?

Edited by Curt McGirt

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Can somebody give me a shorthand about Dukes and Gastineau because I don't want to Google all these sites I see. Dukes is wrestler, takes a fall for Gastineau in boxing match, big uproar?

Basically, yeah. Dukes got beat in 12 seconds by knockout.

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1270099762474356737

You can see Dukes take a bump on the "knockout".

Yeah that's a flat back bump 😄

Gastineau looks like that's a guy who's had an interesting life. Too bad he's a scab. Married Brigitte Nielson, as my friend King might write, "WHEWWWWWWWW"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

There are several examples of the commission doing nonsensical stuff to overcompensate so they don't look like the Keystone Cops. The thing is if you catch it BEFOREHAND and not afterwards, you probably won't come off as bumbling idiots.

One of my personal favorites is a story from early in Roy Jones Jr. career. So Roy Jones after being robbed at the 1988 Olympics at Seoul turned pro shortly afterwards and was extremely mishandled in terms of management despite probably being the best fighter of the 1988 USA boxing team. He would occasionally pop up on the dying days of boxing on NBC or like Tuesday Night Fights, but he spent most of his time off TV fighting locally in Pensacola and at like state fairs in the Florida panhandle and often against no hopers and nondescript opponents. One of those opponents in 1990 was Derwin Richards of Houston, TX....Okay, it was suppose to be Derwin Richards. What happened was a guy named "Derwin Richards" showed up at the show in Pensacola and got KO'd by Roy in the first round much like all of Roy's opponents at the time. Roy gets his win and everyone goes home happy. That is until someone from the local paper in Pensacola points out, "Yeah, I don't think that's the guy who is in the program for the card." The commission looks into it. And yup, there are some irregularities. The first being that on the commission paperwork, the guy who showed up wrote down a record that totally didn't match the record in the relatively primitive record keeping sources at the time. The person whose job it was to check for those irregularities said she was **checks notes**...too busy. Yes, that was her excuse. Wouldn't want your job to get in the way of your commitments at your job.

Anyway, they launch an official "investigation". First thing they find is it definitely WASN'T Derwin Richards. Why? Derwin Richards on the night of the fight was working as a security guard at a correctional facility in Houston, TX. So unless this guy who was probably making minimum wage at the time had a private jet to get him back and forth from and to Houston, Texas, it certainly wasn't him. So who the hell fought Roy Jones Jr. that night? So they look into the person who procured Roy's opponent. It was a guy out of Oklahoma City named Elvis Belt (what a name). Belt had been asked by the matchmaker named Gerome Peete if they could get the services of Mr. Richards for a purse of $2,000. From what I can figure, either Belt knew Richards and chose intentionally not to discuss the arrangements of a fight with Roy Jones Jr. or he just pretended to know Derwin Richards. Either way, Belt saw an opportunity to make some extra cash. In 2024 dollars, that purse would have been almost $5,000 dollars. What Belt did was roll up to some Oklahoma City boxing gym, found some guy with little to no experience named Tony Waddles, told him he would get $700 for fighting Roy Jones Jr., Waddles agreed, and they both drove down to Pensacola for the fight. When they got down there, Belt had Waddles pretend to be Derwin Richards and the matchmaker probably knew it wasn't the guy who he asked for. However, seeing as Roy Jones Jr. was the big local attraction, figured he couldn't have Roy not fight the guy who was advertised to be there. That and Waddles having little or no experience probably wouldn't have been cleared to fight a person who was literally two years removed from being declared the best boxer at the summer Olympics. They went through with the fight, Waddles got paid $700, and Belt pocketed the rest (over $3,100 in today's money).

Afterwards, everyone got punished except the person whose job it was to make sure shit like that doesn't happen, the dumbass woman working for the commission who was too busy to look into shady stuff. Had someone (not working for the commission) not pointed out the guy who got knocked out wasn't the same guy being advertised, the commission would have been none the wiser.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

They tell me this one's tougher than usual, so this is actually not a bad time!

Also, that Benoit clue popped me. It shouldn't have, but it did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My neck hurts just watching that, glad my backyard wrestling crew 25 years ago just wanted to do walk and brawl ECW shit with some folk-style from me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1