DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/13 - 3/19/2024 - Takin' Care of Business

I hope Eddie Kingston starts telling the world who is best friend is again. I very much like Penta. I'll never get that image of him bleeding all over his child after the big Cage match win over the Bucks outta my head. That said, I love the camera pull idea going around.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

Things I Remember From This Week's Edition of AEW Dynamite:

Mercedes Mone is here, as was made perfectly obvious weeks ago.

Wardlow's minipush is probably over. Watch them bring back MJF not have him actually do anything with Wardlow.

Okada was in action, I didn't really pay much attention.

Bullet Club Gold is evil again.

That Lion/Hook submission double team was probably better on paper than reality

Oh no, Hook vs Jericho, RUN HOOK RUN, DO SOMETHING TO GET KEPT OUT OF CANADA SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORK WITH JERICHO FOREVER

You know it's a special occasion when they actually have women main event AEW Dynamite. That special occasion being "starting and ending the show with Mone"

We'll hear from Mercedes Mone next week, but we just heard from her this week.

• Like 2

Once again I was stoked from the beginning minutes all the way up until the Jericho match 😂 

The only thing I can coherently communicate right now is that there were three men I didn't ever really care for in a match along with three men I find absolutely captivating and it made the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Okada's mannerisms are fantastic, like how he casually waved the ref over after hitting his finisher. He knew it was over - what a cocky motherfucker that you just want to see get his face punched in. 🤌🏻

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 2

Oh yeah and give Julia a bonus for making Moné's finisher look crisp, I feel like that's potentially the most awkward moment of a debut and they stuck the landing so well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Coletti said:

Oh yeah and give Julia a bonus for making Moné's finisher look crisp, I feel like that's potentially the most awkward moment of a debut and they stuck the landing so well

Yep. Total opposite to Mercedes Mone debut at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 getting botched.

• Like 1

I didn’t watch most of the show, but I loved the First Dance style opening. No show intro, run down the card, and then boom - big debut. I still feel like babyface Mercedes/Sasha isn’t the best (especially promo wise), but this was perfectly fine. The show ending angle was about what I expected when they announced Riho/Willow last week. It was either Mercedes goes after Toni immediately, or there’s the unfinished business with Willow. There’s still a lot left with Toni, much to the displeasure of some people, so it’s probably a good thing to let Mercedes work with Willow, Stat, Riho, Julia, Skye, etc in the meantime.

I’m assuming Britt returns next week to tag with Deonna, since I saw she challenged Toni & Mariah. Or maybe it’s Hayter? That would be dope as fuck.

I turned on my PS5 after the Elite match, so I only followed along on Twitter. Ospreay’s “Restore the feeling? I AM the feeling.” line is god tier IMO and pretty much how I feel. Which is wild since a few years ago I really didn’t like him at all.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Once again I was stoked from the beginning minutes all the way up until the Jericho match 😂 

The only thing I can coherently communicate right now is that there were three men I didn't ever really care for in a match along with three men I find absolutely captivating and it made the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Okada's mannerisms are fantastic, like how he casually waved the ref over after hitting his finisher. He knew it was over - what a cocky motherfucker that you just want to see get his face punched in. 🤌🏻

Dickhead Kazuchika Okada is best Okada like Dickhead Bryan Danielson.

• Like 2

It dawned on me that I remembered absolutely nothing about Sasha Banks except her uncle was Snoop and she did not look physically like a wrestler at all. I don't think I've seen any of her "classic" NXT or PPV matches -- ANY of them. The opening speech was like she was thanking the Academy for Best Female Wrestler Award so I just muted it. 

Paid no attention to Joe/Wardlow. Death Triangle vs. Bucks was the most AEW six-man to ever AEW. We saw so many of these in the early days. Okada is gonna catch so much shit from me, especially if/when he beats Kingston. 

Jay and Darby had a helluva match! The "Darby flies in from offscreen" bump was sick. So were all the bumps he took on his back, even the simplest ones. I dare you to give me a finish that was similar to that one. Dare you! It's never been done. So cool to get something totally original, and so simple at the same time. Unfortunately Jay is still stuck with all the other choads and that is gonna fester for... ever. Meanwhile, Darby went out on his back because he is probably thinking he might die. Jeez...

Paid no attention to Gates/Lionheart + Taz Jr. Lionheart means no "Judas"! Thank god, because we are gonna have to hear people yelling "C-E-O" for the rest of our natural lives. The main event was lackluster. Not enough Vadering of Riho, who is so, so isami Kodaka-esque, but doesn't bump as good. She almost kills or badly injures Willow on a suplex and I would never ever ever forgive her. CEO comes out to hog the spotlight. End scene.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hope Niners enjoys Mercedes Mone debut.

It was great to see her back in a ring, Thank You.  It was a pretty good show.  Great crowd.  I didn't go tonight, I actually haven't been to a wrestling show in a while now.  But I watched with my cousins.  They don't watch AEW but they were intrigued by Mercedes debut.  

Is it me or does AEW feel fresh as fuck right now?  

I guess adding Will Ospreay, Okada and now Mercedes will do that but even so you have the double turn of Hangman and Swerve which is really refreshing for both as well..   AEW Dynasty is looking like a can't miss show. 

• Like 6

Does it feel like they are about to split up Kingston's Triple Crown, maybe because Okada holding a New Japan belt would be incredibly weird? Them making such a point to say that Kingston's defense is only for the Continental Championship hinted at the ending pretty strong to me, with Okada getting a shiny belt to wear that doesn't really mess with the AEW storylines for the other belts since most are spoken for in the short term.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It was great to see her back in a ring, Thank You.  It was a pretty good show.  Great crowd.  I didn't go tonight, I actually haven't been to a wrestling show in a while now.  But I watched with my cousins.  They don't watch AEW but they were intrigued by Mercedes debut.  

Is it me or does AEW feel fresh as fuck right now?  

I guess adding Will Ospreay, Okada and now Mercedes will do that but even so you have the double turn of Hangman and Swerve which is really refreshing for both as well..   AEW Dynasty is looking like a can't miss show. 

Glad you enjoyed Mercedes Mone return from her broken ankle.

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Does it feel like they are about to split up Kingston's Triple Crown, maybe because Okada holding a New Japan belt would be incredibly weird? Them making such a point to say that Kingston's defense is only for the Continental Championship hinted at the ending pretty strong to me, with Okada getting a shiny belt to wear that doesn't really mess with the AEW storylines for the other belts since most are spoken for in the short term.

I hope not. I like the three belt visual. That's what makes it like the AJPW Triple Crown Championship.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It dawned on me that I remembered absolutely nothing about Sasha Banks except her uncle was Snoop and she did not look physically like a wrestler at all. I don't think I've seen any of her "classic" NXT or PPV matches -- ANY of them.

From last week for Lawful Metal and now you:

"10. Mercedes Mone vs. KAIRI. NJPW Battle in the Valley, 18th February 2023.

9. Sasha Banks vs. Asuka. WWE RAW, 29th January 2018.

8. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair. NXT TakeOver: Rival.

7. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. WWE Hell in a Cell 2019.

6. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. WWE Hell in a Cell 2020.

5. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable.

4. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair. WWE RAW, 28th November 2016.

3. Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair. WWE WrestleMania XXXVII.

2. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn. *****.

1. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Respect. *****.

I honestly think Bayley, Bianca Belair, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch had their best match ever with Sasha Banks. I've always preferred Banks/Bayley Iron Woman to the Brooklyn match. If you can only watch four of my ten, the top four. Niners Fan in CT is one to ask for best Sasha Banks matches as he's a big fan. Hope this helps!"

15 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I mean, it’s always been possible, since it’s only a Triple Crown because Eddie holds three belts. They were never meant to be defended as one unified belt at all times (but is a possibility if the story calls for it). If you take Eddie out of that tournament, then someone else would have that belt anyway.

I don’t think Okada holding a New Japan belt would be weird, either. It’s not like he’s never going back there, same with Ospreay. They could sign Mina Shirakawa tomorrow and it wouldn’t be weird if she won the IWGP Women’s Title, or the STRONG. Same with Mercedes. There’s cooperation among these companies, even if the internet wants to believe TK is sucking New Japan dry when in reality it’s more to do with just how bad Japan’s economy is tanking right now (source: I work for a Japanese automotive company).

• Like 3

I recall reading discussion somewhere about how many modern wrestler themes, particularly in WWE land, are basically designed just to pavlovianly train the audience to chant or whoa or whatnot on command, Mone's theme is the most that ever. Thought it was a better moment than promo but these big intro/welcome back promos often suffer from being a bit rote (see: CM Punk's WWE one).

Will is a much more confident promo right off the bat than I expected.

It's a bit mean to say... but can you imagine signing Okada just to put the ROH or NJ Strong title on him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1