DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/28 - 3/5/2024 - Stingchronicity II

35 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE was sending all of their British signings to NXT:UK, right up until Mariah went to Stardom. The "Assistant General Manager" of NXT:UK was Sid Scala, who basically everyone in the brand was a loyal friend to. Mariah May made a Speaking Out statement about Sid Scala harassing her when she was a trainee and he sued her.

NXT UK was dead by the time Mariah went to Stardom. 

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

NXT UK was dead by the time Mariah went to Stardom. 

By like 2 months. NXT UK was discontinued in September 2022, and Mariah's Stardom debut was December on the same year. But in the build up to NXT:UK being cancelled, WWE had stopped signing new UK-based wrestlers (the last one was Nathan Frazier/ Ben Carter, who was wrestling in American indies at the time). Then they released almost all of their British signings who weren't already in big NXT or on the main roster when NXT UK died (and signed a few back almost immediately, when they realised that they needed experienced talent for NXT post- Black and Gold).

There was never a timeframe where WWE was actively signing British Wrestlers and didn't have Sid Scala there until Mariah was in Stardom.

37 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Angelica Risk is a good name for her because boy howdy would I risk it all

You may be interested in going back to some of her Dark/Elevation matches...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

By like 2 months. NXT UK was discontinued in September 2022, and Mariah's Stardom debut was December on the same year. But in the build up to NXT:UK being cancelled, WWE had stopped signing new UK-based wrestlers (the last one was Nathan Frazier/ Ben Carter, who was wrestling in American indies at the time). Then they released almost all of their British signings who weren't already in big NXT or on the main roster when NXT UK died (and signed a few back almost immediately, when they realised that they needed experienced talent for NXT post- Black and Gold).

There was never a timeframe where WWE was actively signing British Wrestlers and didn't have Sid Scala there until Mariah was in Stardom.

Who was signed back immediately? Pretty sure they just never actually released everyone as there were plans for the NXT Europe expansion that never happened. The point was more that Mariah wasn't really someone anyone was looking at while Schala was there. It was her Stardom run that got her noticed. I would be surprised if she wasn't at least looked at last year, if not given an offer.

NXT UK roster members they kept:

• Tyler Bate
  • Ilja Dragunov
  • Meiko Satomura
  • Kit Wilson
  • Elton Prince
  • Joe Coffey
  • Mark Coffey
  • Wolfgang
  • Nathan Frazer
  • Charlie Dempsey
  • That one guy who was injured. Oliver Carter.

NXT UK roster members they let go & brought back:

• A-Kid (Axiom)
  • Noam Dar
  • Kay Lee Ray/ Alba Fyre
  • Aofie/ Lyra Valkyrie

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Lyra Valkyrie

Off topic, but its gotta be one of the most absurd things ever that they signed Taya and changed her name to Frankie Mone, only to turn around and give this name to someone else. It reads like one of those awful "What's ____ doing in the Impact Zone?" jokes from reddit or something.

• Like 2

Anyone who isn't Irish (and that's Irish Irish, none of them American plastic paddies) is going to have a hard time getting that a name spelt Aoife is pronounced Eefer.

• Like 2

I'm sure in Taya's case she just didn't want to sign over her naming rights to WWE, and happily smashed the NXT random name generator button.

It's also kinda funny that Sasha took the Monet name to another company not long after.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Anyone who isn't Irish (and that's Irish Irish, none of them American plastic paddies) is going to have a hard time getting that a name spelt Aoife is pronounced Eefer.

Listening to Second Captains has opened up the whole world of Irish spelling of names. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

NXT UK roster members they kept:

• Tyler Bate
  • Ilja Dragunov
  • Meiko Satomura
  • Kit Wilson
  • Elton Prince
  • Joe Coffey
  • Mark Coffey
  • Wolfgang
  • Nathan Frazer
  • Charlie Dempsey
  • That one guy who was injured. Oliver Carter.

NXT UK roster members they let go & brought back:

• A-Kid (Axiom)
  • Noam Dar
  • Kay Lee Ray/ Alba Fyre
  • Aofie/ Lyra Valkyrie

Pretty Deadly, Axiom, Fyre/Ray, and Frazer were moved over to the main NXT before NXT UK died. Don't recall release news for any of those names. Dar in particular I think may have just been injured. 

On 3/2/2024 at 10:13 PM, Curt McGirt said:

This was two Rampages stitched together

Very much so. And not far off the Extra Dark Specials that used to pop up on a PPV weekend. Bit of an odd show. The Mark Briscoe/House of Black segment was 3/4 great. The 1/4 that wasn't would be all the staff running out to stop Mark while leaving Buddy at the point of the fire. A shiny golden nugget of Wrestlecrap! Still, I loved seeing Briscoe get the upperhand on the Goth crew And I like Mark being a loose cannon. Tho not entirely successful, I liked the creativity and try. Swerve promo was fine. I was a low voter on the Home Invasion Sports and Entertainment when it aired, but it's even shittier as a story point for a babyface promo. Penta v Keith v Dante featured some solid work and a lot of dumb multiman 'let's get into position' bullshit. Goddamn I wish they'd stop booking so many of these Triple (or more) Threats/Scrambles. For the love of @Dean! Hanger promo was spot on. I like a reckless, by any means necessary, Adam Page. Mariah May v Angela Risk was the highlight of this show. Totally back the play of Nigel losing his shit over Mariah. Mariah May is incredbile! That's how you make the most of yourself 'In Action'. She murdered that poor lady. I sense Mariah could be a huge star beyond the constraints of the squared circle. The Toni/Deonna promo that followed was fun. I like the black and white on the way to the ring. Not so sure on the switch and split screen. I loved Toni's Kiss of Death! Made me think of Blue Velvet and @CurtMcDirt calling for Suave and the 'Candy Colored Man they call the Sandman...' a week back. I skimmed the DO v Scissors. Ugh, what is going on? Austin Gunn a babyface? This Scissor crew is such a comically bad use of everyone involved. The post match seemed to go on and on with Bowens yelling dumb shit - as he's prone to do. Is Bowens' aggro catchphrase the worst in wrestling right now? Stoke/Willow/Stat promo was fine. I like Willow getting some mic time. Wardlow promo was good and solid. I'm very much into this rebirth of Wardy. He's shown more character in the last two promos than the two years prior. I didn't not like the Jericho interjection here. I also enjoyed seeing Big Will Hobbs fuck up thee ol sonofabitch. Serena Deeb promo was fine. Deeb's a bit corny, but I like seeing her get some reps. It's a great way to improve. I skimmed passed most of the Sydal/Daniels-v-Party. Private Party have long had such a laughably bad presentation. Marc Quen rocking two shirts these days. I wanna get behind the Quen/Cassidy duo, but I'm just not there yet. I wouldn't mind an ongoing allegiance with Jarrett and co. I really liked Thunder Rosa v Cassandra Golden. That's the best Rosa's looked since her return. She beat the shit out of that young lady. Christy-Ian/'Switch/Roddy/Cousin Brian v OC/Trent/Hook/Garcia was action packed. Not a "Main Event in any arena around the world' but a very nicely wrestled bout nonetheless. Christian should never wrestle matches he doesn't sell with a promo first. Okay, onto the Zero Hour. 

• Like 1