DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I could do with a two hour Rampage. 

MJF is the real question mark here: where he fits in, when is he returning, etc.

I enjoy MJF and look forward to his return, but candidly, there's a part of me that almost doesn't want to see him back until Adam Cole is healed up too, just so we can get right into blowing that thing off.

So much of the last ~2 months of his title reign was wrapped in treading water due to Cole's ankle -  I'd hate to see MJF get the big comeback pop and immediately get dropped right into the same situation again and end up having to mess with Bennett/Taven over the ROH tag titles for a few months or whatever it is, with some midcard babyface 'reluctantly' trusting him (or worse, they derail Joe by dragging him back into this shit).

• Like 3

If you're bringing in Okada and Ospreay and adding them to Joe, Page, Swerve, Copeland, Christian, Danielson, Mox, Jay White, and eventually MJF at the top of the card not to mention your tag scene and rising stars like Takeshita, Starks, and Hobbs, is there even room for Adam Cole anymore? Putting aesthetics aside for the moment, he's been underperforming and injury prone since he debuted. I can't imagine trying to heat him up as a singles wrestler again

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

If you're bringing in Okada and Ospreay and adding them to Joe, Page, Swerve, Copeland, Christian, Danielson, Mox, Jay White, and eventually MJF at the top of the card not to mention your tag scene and rising stars like Takeshita, Starks, and Hobbs, is there even room for Adam Cole anymore? Putting aesthetics aside for the moment, he's been underperforming and injury prone since he debuted. I can't imagine trying to heat him up as a singles wrestler again

Nope. There sure isn't. He has less upside than anyone else you listed there, and there's probably some others, too. Kingston and the HOB guys, for example...

• Like 2

He has a lot of storyline weight underpinning him right now and he probably gets one chance, when healthy again, to really do something with that. Again, I think the hottest act is pairing him with Britt on screen. I can see a world where two-three years down the line he's primarily used as a guy who makes media appearances and streams to get attention for the brand. His best attribute is how nice and likable he is as a human being. He's just about the age right now where Michael Hayes became Dok Hendrix.

• Like 5

All of the Unimpressive Fiefdom can go back to TNA far as I'm concerned. Or just demote them to ROH. Also...

38 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

He has less upside than anyone else you listed there, and there's probably some others, too. Kingston and the HOB guys, for example...

Qué?! Are we watching the same program? The guy who won the Triple Crown tournament and the most dangerous heels on the roster? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Does Keith Lee need a manager?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

he's been underperforming and injury prone since he debuted.

Injury-prone I'll give you as a fair criticism (though I was in the building for this last one and it really was a total freak accident that basically could've happened to anyone) but do you mind expanding on 'underperforming?' Not trying to start a disagreement, but IMO, I can really only think of one Cole match in AEW that outright stunk (vs Jericho on PPV) so I'm jw if there is some other metric you might be referring to

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

All of the Unimpressive Fiefdom can go back to TNA far as I'm concerned. Or just demote them to ROH. Also...

Qué?! Are we watching the same program? The guy who won the Triple Crown tournament and the most dangerous heels on the roster? 

Yes. Adam Cole has much less upside than those people. He should be far, far behind them in the pecking order. Was I not clear? I'm sorry...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

👌 Gotcha, and we are in agreement. 

Keith Lee needs a new body, apparently. You gotta feel for the guy. 

Oh yeah, dude, hugely. FWIW, when Lee's last PPV match against Shane Taylor was called off, he mentioned it wasn't anything related to the rumors of post-COVID issues and was actually some other injury (which I guess one could call 'positive' news/maybe just a bit of bad luck, as opposed to a more serious lingering illness or the body 'telling him it's time,' hopefully).

27 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Injury-prone I'll give you as a fair criticism (though I was in the building for this last one and it really was a total freak accident that basically could've happened to anyone) but do you mind expanding on 'underperforming?' Not trying to start a disagreement, but IMO, I can really only think of one Cole match in AEW that outright stunk (vs Jericho on PPV) so I'm jw if there is some other metric you might be referring to

I think his matches with OC and Jericho are some of the worst in the company's history. I was already not a fan but I could buy Cole in NXT, everything since he came to AEW seems like a pale imitation. Kind of like Keith Lee, in fact

Edit to add: To expand further, his move set was reigned in on NXT and without those limits it's truly random and poorly executed moves for moves sake. His promos are okay but the SNL skits were a terrible idea imo. And I'm a size queen so yes, he's too small now

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

So I don't know what I don't know since I don't follow current CMLL too closely but...

• A lot of the CMLL roster is in Japan for Fantasticamania
  • That means certain people like Lady Frost will be back in Mexico to help with the rosters for a bit.
  • There is no Collision on Saturday due to the NBA All Star Weekend
  • Seems like a good Friday for the BCC to invade?

Tessa was also back this week. 

3 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I think his matches with OC and Jericho are some of the worst in the company's history. I was already not a fan but I could buy Cole in NXT, everything since he came to AEW seems like a pale imitation. Kind of like Keith Lee, in fact

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. I forgot the OC match! I don't know if I 100% agree, but you make a compelling argument. I'd say the one thing Cole has going for him over Lee is at least he had the Hangman program from jump to make him feel like a big deal before eventually getting another title program with MJF, whereas Lee's most notable TV output (the Swerve team/feud) suffered from a lot of stop/starts and pivots before it could really get off the ground in the same way. I mean, as recently as this past fall they were *still* planning on circling back to it (I'm realizing now, I think it was actually Swerve/Lee that was cancelled, not Taylor/Lee as I wrote earlier)

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. I forgot the OC match! I don't know if I 100% agree, but you make a compelling argument. I'd say the one thing Cole has going for him over Lee is at least he had the Hangman program from jump to make him feel like a big deal before eventually getting another title program with MJF, whereas Lee's most notable TV output (the Swerve team/feud) suffered from a lot of stop/starts and pivots before it could really get off the ground in the same way. I mean, as recently as this past fall they were *still* planning on circling back to it (I'm realizing now, I think it was actually Swerve/Lee that was cancelled, not Taylor/Lee as I wrote earlier)

He's one of those wrestlers, if he works for you he works. I have zero memory of his feud with Page though so if he was doing good stuff there then I may have missed it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

He's one of those wrestlers, if he works for you he works. I have zero memory of his feud with Page though so if he was doing good stuff there then I may have missed it

Well said - with that idea in mind, I'll say I personally enjoyed the Cole/Page feud and it worked for me big, BUT I'll also admit that with it being one of the rare immediate rematches AEW's ever done, it felt like it was going on a bit too long at the time.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Well said - with that idea in mind, I'll say I personally enjoyed the Cole/Page feud and it worked for me big, BUT I'll also admit that with it being one of the rare immediate rematches AEW's ever done, it felt like it was going on a bit too long at the time.

I watched a couple of recaps on YouTube and I remember now, I do think that was Cole's best work in AEW even if it seemed like he forgot how to sell. The Revolution match is when he came out in the Halo cosplay and that was my "Oh he has bad instincts" moment

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 8:39 PM, The Natural said:

Bryan Danielson matches I'd like to see as he said he's coming to an end:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega II.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr III.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness. This has an asterix attached as I'm apprehensive about one/both something stupid.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Tetsuya Naito.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Shingo Takagi.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Katsuyori Shibata. This has an asterix attached as I'm apprehensive about one/both doing something stupid.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Darby Allin.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Jay White.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Mark Briscoe.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Dax Harwood.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Cash Wheeler.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega II and Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr III are the priorities for me.

Year of The Dragon indeed

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Nope. There sure isn't. He has less upside than anyone else you listed there, and there's probably some others, too. Kingston and the HOB guys, for example...

I agree on Adam Cole. Disagree with Eddie Kingston. In between the HOB. I've never got into Malakai Black/Aleister Black.