DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVII - 1/27/2024

For anyone who's ever driven across the Ben Franklin Bridge or anywhere on I-95 in Pennsylvania, you know the road to Philadelphia is fraught with danger...   So begins the road the WrestleMania!   As always we start with... the RUMBLE. 

THE CARD~

30 MAN ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP AT WRESTLEMANIA XL

30 WOMAN ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP AT WRESTLEMANIA XL

FATAL FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE UNDISPUTED WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. AJ Styles vs. LA Knight vs. Randy Orton

FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Logan Paul (c) vs. Kevin Owens

--

Men's Rumble Participants - Cody Rhodes, CM Punk, Shinsuke Nakamura, Bobby Lashley, Drew McIntyre, GUNTHER, Chad Gable, Otis, Akira Tozawa, Kofi Kingston, Damien Priest, Santos Escobar, R-Truth, Carlito, Greyson Waller, Austin Theory, An Uso, and 13 others

Women's Rumble Participants - Bayley, Nia Jax, Chelsea Green, Bianca Belair, Maxxine Dupri, Ivy Nile, Alba Fyre, Shotzi, Zelina Vega, Michin, and 20 others

Favourites for the men's and women's Royal Rumble matches?

Feels like the Men's is between Cody Rhodes and CM Punk.

Women's I'm hoping for Bayley. It's one of the only things she hasn't done, ditto for main eventing WrestleMania. Bayley's booking since returning from ACL surgery at SummerSlam 2022 has upset me. Her faction loses and I hoped she'd have regained a world title but to no avail. Think Becky Lynch will win.

• Like 1

Would be surprised if anyone but Becky won the women's match barring something injury/incident related happening. They have been blatantly keeping Becky and Rhea apart the past year sans occasional small faceoffs when passing during interviews.

Men's match feels like its going to Cody or Punk barring a similar case of injury/incident unless the Rock pops up around 27-30.

• Like 1

Pretty confident Punk wins for the story you can tell. Royal Rumble 2014 was the last CM Punk match in WWE as he then walked out. Ten years later in his first match back on TV, he wins it and goes on last at Night 1 of WrestleMania vs. Seth Rollins for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. It's one of the only things he hasn't done and he was missed he didn't at WrestleMania XXIX. Man, that 2014 Royal Rumble match was bad. Ditto 2015.

Natural's ten best Royal Rumble matches ever:

10. 2020 Men's.

9. 2018 Men's.

8. 2002.

7. 2004.

6. 2010.

5. 2023 Men's.

4. 2008.

3. 2001.

2. 2007.

1. 1992. *****.

Natural's ten worst Royal Rumble matches ever:

10. 1990.

9. 1991.

8. 1999.

7. 2022 Women's

6. 1993.

5. 1995.

4. 2011.

3. 2022 Men's.

2. 2014.

1. 2015.

I think what makes and breaks a Royal Rumble match is the winner right or wrong, quality of the surprise entrants for better or worse and the stories told during the match.

Haven't seen or heard anyone throw this out despite how long the Rumble's been the next big show, but I think Jade Cargill shows up as a surprise Women's Rumble entrant and gets a Diesel run for a while. Nia eliminates her somehow cheaply but boom, got a big star in time for Mania season.

• Like 2

I feel like the original plan was probably Jade/Charlotte for Wrestlemania, and the rumble would have set it up with them eliminating each other. Not sure who they would trust to put up against Jade now.

On 1/9/2024 at 7:44 PM, Eivion said:

Would be surprised if anyone but Becky won the women's match barring something injury/incident related happening. They have been blatantly keeping Becky and Rhea apart the past year sans occasional small faceoffs when passing during interviews.

I have this weird feeling that Becky and Rhea are going to use the Michaels-Taker II plot beats, which means Becky getting eliminated in the rumble, and then costing Rhea the title in Feb to make the Mania match non-title.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

It's between CM Punk and Cody Rhodes for the Men's Royal Rumble winner, right? We haven't had a back to back winner since Steve Austin's 1997-1998.

Yes, on both parts. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

I have this weird feeling that Becky and Rhea are going to use the Michaels-Taker II plot beats, which means Becky getting eliminated in the rumble, and then costing Rhea the title in Feb to make the Mania match non-title.

Doesn't feel like Becky is quite ready to retire like Michaels was. Beyond that there really isn't a Women's World title match that would mean as much. 

Well if the news on Sports Illustrated is true, I think the Rock will win the Rumble.   Punk winning makes no sense unless they somehow figure how to get the RAW title on Cody.   My 2nd choice is Gunther

Women seems to be pretty obvious in Becky Lynch.  

Rock doesn't need to win the Rumble to get at Roman.  That's Roman's "last hurdle" to hitting true "GOD MODE".  You can easily get to Punk/Cody having them eliminate each other, leaving Gunther to win to go after Seth (if Seth can make it to Mania).

That said, Roman is beyond needing to beat Rock at this point, especially 51 year old blow-up-after-one-people's-elbow Rock.  I don't get how it helps anyone aside from enough filler to push back Roman another year.  But we're rapidly hitting the expiration date on Roman's title reign, and no one's going to let that sit for 3 more years to hit Bruno.  

I think the reaction to Rock vs Reigns at WM is going to make Brock vs Reigns at WM in New Orleans look like peanuts.  Especially if the Rock puts out one of those performance where he shouldn't have been in the ring longer than 5 minutes to begin with

43 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well if the news on Sports Illustrated is true, I think the Rock will win the Rumble.   Punk winning makes no sense unless they somehow figure how to get the RAW title on Cody.   My 2nd choice is Gunther

Women seems to be pretty obvious in Becky Lynch.  

Same, GUNTHER is definitely in my top two.  I think it's more likely that Cody eliminates Punk and Punk pulls Cody out in frustration that either of them wins.