DVDVR Message Board

2024 HORROR DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I was trying to describe Poor Things to someone at work without giving too much away and I realize the perfect movie to pair with it. Is Ken Russell’s Gothic. 

Looking forward to Late Night With The Devil hitting Shudder. I just signed up for the free trial and will probably carry it over. Watched Hell House LLC: Origins today. The first one actually was unsettling to me but the next two were diminishing returns. This wasn't any different. Some fun jump scares and gore but nothing I'll ever watch again. 

Just to clear something regarding the what seems like 45 Frankenstein movies coming out

The one being directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal is called The Bride!

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:13 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Watched Hell House LLC: Origins today. The first one actually was unsettling to me but the next two were diminishing returns. This wasn't any different. Some fun jump scares and gore but nothing I'll ever watch again. 

I watched all of those over a couple of days last week and I totally agree. The sequels are too bogged down in building lore. Origins is a return to form but still not as strong as the first one. All of them have at least a couple of effective scenes though. 

• Like 1

A Chinese remake of Anaconda because why the fuck not

Technically NSFW because they give away A LOT in the trailer

The Wolf Man remake that is being done by Blumhouse has been delayed into 2025

It was supposed to come out October of this year but it will now release on January 17, 2025

I signed up for Prime Video to watch Fallout this month and decided to see what's on there. Realized I haven't seen M3gan yet. That was ridiculous to say the least. I had a ton of fun watching it though. 

Aside: Prime's interface sucks. 

• Like 3

MaXXXine

Theoretically this was supposed to end the trilogy but Ti West is saying he has an idea for a 4th movie

Lionsgate announced that Blumhouse will start doing "reimaginings" of Lionsgate "horror classics" starting with the Blair Witch Project

No other titles were mentioned

• Sad 1

Speak No Evil

From Blumhouse, the producer of The Black Phone, Get Out and The Invisible Man, comes an intense suspense thriller for our modern age, starring BAFTA award-winner James McAvoy (Split, Glass) in a riveting performance as the charismatic, alpha-male estate owner whose untrammeled hospitality masks an unspeakable darkness.

Speak No Evil stars Mackenzie Davis (Terminator: Dark Fate, Halt and Catch Fire) and SAG award-winner Scoot McNairy (Argo, A Quiet Place Part II) as American couple Louise and Ben Dalton, who, along with their 11-year-old daughter Agnes (Alix West Lefler; The Good Nurse, Riverdale), accept the weekend-holiday invitation of Paddy (McAvoy), his wife Ciara (Aisling Franciosi; Game of Thrones, The Fall) and their furtive, mute son Ant (newcomer Daniel Hough).

It is a remake of the 2022 Danish movie Gaesterne (Which you can watch on Shudder - which list it under the Speak No Evil name)

Just got back from Late Night with the Devil.  Absolute masterpiece.  Still thinking about it, can't wait to watch it again and show the rest of the family.  Totally immersive and the tension is phenomenal.  Brilliant.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 5:35 AM, Lawful Metal said:

Just got back from Late Night with the Devil.  Absolute masterpiece.  Still thinking about it, can't wait to watch it again and show the rest of the family.  Totally immersive and the tension is phenomenal.  Brilliant.

I've been looking forward to this ever since someone said it was Rosemary's Baby crossed with Network, but it actually exceeded my expectations. It feels like a spiritual successor to The Exorcist. I watch a lot of horror and consider a film making me jump or have a guttural reaction a great compliment to the filmmakers but when... SPOILERS...

Spoiler

When they were going through the footage frame by frame and his dead wife's ghost appeared with her hand on his shoulder

I swear I had goosebumps run all the way from my toes to my scalp. Haven't reacted like that to a movie in over a decade. I'll see how I feel in a few days but this could be the best movie I've seen since Uncut Gems.

Hope this is a big success love to see what Shudder(?) could make next with a bigger budget.

• Like 1

I watched Late Night With the Devil last night. I'm not as on board with it as some people. Lots of exposition in the intro. The show segments are good and entertaining but that last ten to fifteen minutes kinda lost me. I'm willing to give it another shot but that first watch wasn't it for me. 

• Like 1

I watched Late Night With the Devil yesterday as well, I loved how it constantly ratcheted the tension up so that even perfectly normal scenes had you on Edge. Dastmalchian does a great job portraying someone who is good at heart trying to succeed in the heartless world of showbiz.  I also think the actors who played Lilly and Carmichael did their jobs perfectly, Lilly just added to the tension by being there and Carmichael deflated things just enough to keep it headed to the climax perfectly. It's just a bummer that the AI art thing and the Abu Dhabi funding kind of leave a bitter taste in my mouth, as the film creates a world that I'd love to see more of.

18 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I watched Late Night With the Devil last night. I'm not as on board with it as some people. Lots of exposition in the intro. The show segments are good and entertaining but that last ten to fifteen minutes kinda lost me. I'm willing to give it another shot but that first watch wasn't it for me. 

Same!  I just watched it last night and I was severely underwhelmed.  Keeps faith in my hard and fast rule: when a movie starts with more than maybe four production company logos, you’re in trouble.  I swear, this had eight or nine.

• Like 1