DVDVR Message Board

2024 HORROR DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Boy people were just waiting for Mickey Mouse to enter public domain

Mickey’s Mouse Trap

Also announced was a different movie entitled Steamboat Willie - that one is being done by the same people who did the Grinch horror film The Mean One

"Public Domain Property" put into a rote slasher flick is so boring.

I'll come to the theater whenever they re-do "Steamboat Willie" as an existentialist horror psychodrama (perhaps STEAMBOAT WILLIAM directed by Robert Eggars?) or someone drops the character into a raunchy R-rated 1980's-style ski comedy.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 4:58 PM, clintthecrippler said:

"Public Domain Property" put into a rote slasher flick is so boring.

I'll come to the theater whenever they re-do "Steamboat Willie" as an existentialist horror psychodrama (perhaps STEAMBOAT WILLIAM directed by Robert Eggars?) or someone drops the character into a raunchy R-rated 1980's-style ski comedy.

Is the world ready for Mickey in "Hot Dog...The Movie 2: Even Hotter?"

• Haha 1

Jacob Elordi (Saltburn, Priscilla) and replaced Andrew Garfield in Guillermo Del Toro’s Frankenstein

Garfield was scheduled to be the monster but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts caused by the strike

Other cast members are...

Frankenstein will also star Oscar Isaac (Dune) as the Doctor, with Mia Goth (Infinity Pool), Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds), Lars Mikkelsen (The Witcher),

Now I'm envisioning Christoph Waltz as the policeman with the eyepatch and one arm from whatever Frankenstein that was (Son?) parodied in Young Frankenstein, doing an impersonation of himself in Inglorious Basterds 😄

• Like 1

I think I heard this is another "I've wanted to do this since I was a kid" thing. I'm sure Kenneth Branagh had the same reasoning/excuse. 

EDIT: We just had another Frankenstein in Poor Things already

Edited by Curt McGirt

And Lisa Frankenstein next month.

One of the Frankensteins that isn’t brought up is the one with Patrick Bergin and Randy Quaid as The Monster that came out shortly before the Branagh. I watched it a ton as a kid, but I haven’t seen it since and it seems to have a bad rep. It has some weird extra conceit where they’re telepathically linked. 

Patrick Bergin had this incredibly unfortunate talent for picking projects based on stories that were adapted into bigger studio productions a year or two later that made his versions look like Asylum ripoffs. It happened with his Robin Hood movie and Prince of Thieves, and then again with his Jack the Ripper movie and From Hell. 

Frankenstein is such a shit ass story.

I did enjoy the first half or so of Victor Frankenstein, mostly for how McAvoy and Radcliffe play off each other, like the weirdly erotic cyst draining scene. But everything after the reanimated monkey scene is pretty boring.

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Frankenstein is such a shit ass story.

🤨 Que?

Anyway, my favorite one beyond some of the Hammers or the initial Universals is... let's see... *read notes* Andy Warhol's Paul Morrissey's Flesh for Frankenstein.

It would be neat if one of these days they had a totally insane Frankenstein that made a totally insane killer monster just to kill people and the monster killed a bunch of people and somebody had to kill it and the doctor and the doctor already had made another one and it went on another rampage and killed and killed again. Just make it really gross and sleazy and have absolutely no pathos or intelligence at all. You'd think somebody may have actually managed that in all these years but you'd have to name me one. Granted, Hammer basically tried with The Curse of Frankenstein but it was way too early to do it properly foul. Way too much class mucking things up.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

@Curt McGirt there is Frankenstein: Day of the Beast. It looks like cheap dogshit, but the core concept is cool, it’s just Victor’s wedding and the Monster is picking off the people attending the ceremony. The only reason I’m aware of it is because it’s the movie being played in the background of the awesome Spanish slasher The Last Matinee. 

• Like 1

Per Hollywood Reporter - Danny Boyle and Alex Garland are shopping around 28 Years Later

Their goal is to create their own trilogy of sequels going off of 28 Days Later (28 Weeks Later would be ignored)

Watched The Empty Man (2020) and its a big recommendation from me. It flew under the radar after getting dumped into theatres during the first attempts to reopen during lockdowns.

The basic plot of the movie is an ex-cop investigating the disappearance of his neighbour's daughter. The only clue that he has to go on is that she and her friends tried to summon the Empty Man, a Bloody Mary type of urban legend. If you come across an empty bottle on the bridge, you blow in it while thinking about the Empty Man. On the first night you hear him, the second night you see him, the third night you feel him.

But that's really just the in to the story. It ties together the urban legend with folk horror elements, and new age pseudoscience elements. And a little Stephen Root for good measure.

The opening 20 minutes is a prelude that makes the whole thing worth a watch on its own. It could have been released as an episode of a horror anthology series and fit right in. Speaking of, the same director did The Autopsy episode of GDT's Cabinet of Curiousities, so if you liked that, you may want to check The Empty Man out.

To me, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the best horror film of all time and it turns 50 this year so I'm hoping it gets a cinema re-release. One of the best horror films ever, A Nightmare on Elm Street is 40 this year.

• Like 1

The First Omen is slated to be released on April 5th of this year, as a prequel to the original 1976 Omen. As a huge fan of the original trilogy, I'm intrigued by it. But with how the timeline of the original films was so skewed. I'm wondering if they're really going to make it seem crazy and put it in modern times.

All I want is practical effects. We know what we're getting, so give us to it wrapped up with a pretty bow, please. 

EDIT: Dunno how I didn't think of it -- ever -- until right now, but the Final Destination films were a direct steal off The Omen, and have already probably done everything cool that a new Omen would have room for.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1