DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies & TV - 2024

Holy shit. That opening to episode 1 of Echo is so unbelievable sad and also heartwarming. I was in tears until Fisk showed up. Probably the dad in me. My oldest’s name is also Maya, so that was getting to me too. And I guess coincidentally enough she’s talking ASL when she starts high school in August. So just a lot got to me in a way not much else from the MCU has.

• Like 4

Also, there is a dire lack of using the term “shit-ass” on Echo.

Anyway, that first episode is 10/10. Just fucking outstanding. 

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Caught the last two episodes. 4th was pretty solid. The final unfortunately was rushed. Not terrible but easily could have used another 15-20 minutes for some transitional stuff and proper reconciliation scenes.

Enjoyed the series overall though it was far from perfect. Its not a full return to the darkness we had in the netflix MCU shows, but there is some of that there. Makes me curious how Daredevil's new season turns out even more, especially with where Fisk was in Echo.

We just watched the whole thing and yeah, really dug it even if it wasn't something phenomenal. Honestly, can't lie, we both loved Reservation Dogs so a familiarity with the setting and a LOT of the actors helped - but really, they couldn't give us just one "shit-ass"? 🤣

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 2

Oh man, when Elora showed up as Bonnie and when the woman from the clinic showed up I was in heaven. Sucks that Big was only in it for the one episode.

I’m through three episodes and love it. This is fantastic. Also had no idea that the actress for Maya is both deaf and an amputee and she was bitten in the face by a dog when she was a kid. Before getting cast as Echo, she was working at a nursing home. She had what sounds like a rough ass life on the reservation so Good on her for doing everything she’s done.

• Like 4

Much like Iman Vellani, Alaqua Cox’s first role and audition was for their Marvel character and they’re pretty much perfect fits. While I understand that the show wasn’t “needed”, Echo was one of the best parts of the Hawkeye show in my opinion so I’m loving the show. Only got one episode left to watch.

I now want Daredevil: Born Again to be at least partially set during the Blip, since Kingpin is alive during that time and still absolutely flourishing apparently.

• Like 2

I usually think the nepo baby shit is pretty dumb…except for Dakota Johnson who is one of the worst actors I’ve seen at this level. She is just awful. Every time I think of her I think of the extremely British criticism that Alan Rickman said about Emma Watson after the first or second Harry Potter movie: “Her diction is this side of Albania.” I still have no idea what that means but it sounds like a sick burn.

Rickman did really enjoy all of the kids in those movies though. If he were alive, I can’t imagine him ever watching anything with Dakota Johnson in it.

• Like 1

Sydney Sweeney is right up there, though. I honestly don’t know who I’d pick if I was forced to choose who’s worse. She’s pretty bad and I think we all know why she was so popular on Euphoria.

EDIT: oh yeah: per Deadline, Wilson Bethel returns as Bullseye in Born Again for a three episode arc.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

To me, the changes to the outfit are fine.

Knowing that they're updating the look so they can sell some toys is fine, it's what they do.

I just wish Joan Lee was still alive so they could dub Dakota Johnson's voice.

My favorite Madame Webb look is the OG web throne get up.

Ayo Edebiri has dropped out of Thunderbolts because of her realizing she wants a hell of a lot more money now that she's an Emmy Winning Actor  scheduling conflicts.

We finally finished Echo and I really liked it, especially the supporting cast (I'll always get up for a Graham Greene performance). 

I did not care for the decision to give her magic glowing hand native ancestor powers, though.

• Like 2

GFpsLI-XMAAt4RR?format=jpg&name=small

GFpsLI4WcAAmHbM?format=jpg&name=900x900

Daredevil's new costume for Daredevil: Born Again. Liking the brighter red. Still no DD. Interesting the baggy pants are gone, I preferred those. My favourite Daredevil MCU outfit is still the black one from Daredevil Season One.

On 1/30/2024 at 6:45 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ayo Edebiri has dropped out of Thunderbolts because of her realizing she wants a hell of a lot more money now that she's an Emmy Winning Actor  scheduling conflicts.

She's being replaced by Geraldine Viswanathan (Breakers, Miracle Workers).

The Marvels is on D+ now.

It’s not that bad. I liked it a lot, actually.

Absolutely do not understand whoever it was here saying Carol & Monica gave off flirty vibes. Did we watch the same movie?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I bought The Marvels before knowing when it would be on D+, but I tend to buy almost all of the MCU movies anyway with a few exceptions. I thought it was...ok. I think the swapping when using powers concept they were going for was a little bit of a mess and you could tell that reshoots and rewrites made at least the first half or 2/3 not that great, but again, ok for the most part. Again, just something of a mess that they managed to salvage into a fun movie that was largely carried by Kamala's undeniable charisma. The villain was like Malekith levels of who gives a fuck though. I honestly would have preferred just a straight up Carol Danvers movie instead of this team up stuff and Brie Larson was a lot better in this than in Captain Marvel.

So yeah, I don't regret buying it, I just don't know how much I'll re-watch it. Probably not at all? Maybe once in a great while if I'm bored. I would definitely go to rewatch this than Multiverse of Madness. The people saying this is terrible are like the same people that think Thor 2 was terrible. Thor 2 is like the Mendoza Line for MCU movies. It's totally not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It's perfectly fine and even a little fun. I kinda felt the same about this, althought I've seen a lot of people say they really enjoyed the Marvels more than reviews made it out to be. This was also horribly marketed. Like, Zack and Miri levels of bad marketing. 

BTW, I take back what I said earlier about Dakota Johnson. I watched her on SNL and she's pretty fun, especially in the Please Don't Destroy sketch. I just think this Madame Web movie sounds like a complete and utter shit show. I don't give a fuck about young Madame Web, that doesn't even make sense to me. I give even less of a fuck about really young Ezekiel. I don't know what the response was towards Ezekiel, Morlun, and Madame Web back in the day, but I bought the shit out of that run and really liked it. All of this bullshit without any involvement with Spider-Man, but kinda getting what looks like Spider-Woman isn't going to salvage this thing.

Sony, with the exception of Vemon, which is only good for the dialogue between Eddie and the Symbiote, please stop with this Spider-Man Villains Universe. It makes zero sense. I would almost be surprised if this made more than The Marvels did.

In fact, you want a movie for Sam Raimi to direct? Have him direct a Venom movie that's just nothing but Eddie and the Symbiote bantering and talking shit for 90 to 120 minutes. Just make it goofy as fuck like Army of Darkness. Everything else though, like Madame Web, Kraven, and Morbius can fuck right off.

• Like 1