DVDVR Message Board

2024 MOVIES DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

If Heathers gets in then River's Edge gets in. Over the Edge too. Maybe we could set up an alternate-timeline, darkside teen movie lineup with those. Think about it. Over the Edge is definitely the Darkside Dazed and Confused, the other-side-of-the-tracks version of everything in that movie, where instead of a beer bash in the woods and a smoke sesh on the football field at midnight, the kids end up breaking into and destroying the high school. They even listen to the same music. Two years later the kids from Over the Edge would be shaved-headed goons beating the shit out of each other at Black Flag shows while the Dazed kids would be throwing beer cans at them out of their pickups yelling "DEEEEEVO!"

Valley Girl has to be in the '80s lineup of films too, right? Never seen it.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I’m higher on Valley Girl than almost any of the movies mentioned so far. Years and years ago I got to go to a screening of it at Lincoln Center that had a Q&A with director Martha Coolidge and the Valley Girl herself, Deborah Foreman, hosted by Kevin Smith.

It’s fascinating how fully formed Nic Cage already was as a performer; he brings his whole dog and pony show to a teen romantic comedy and elevates it with new wave bizarreness. It’s also really fun to see a young Michael Bowen as a preppy douche and a scorching hot E.G. Daily. Plus, Frederic Forrest and Colleen Camp are one of the first examples of hippie burnout parents in 80s media, almost a prototype for the parents on Family Ties. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Over the Edge --- Heathers --- River's Edge

" " "

Dazed and Confused --- Ferris Bueller's Day Off --- Fast Times at Ridgemont High 

???

Think I've finally nailed down the categories for these three types: 1. Realism, 2. Fantasy, 3. Dramedy. In the latter case, Fast Times is ostensibly a comedy that is offset by serious situations, and River's Edge is serious drama offset by pitch-black humor. (I'd like to note that I can vouch for the legit nature of the film, because it is pretty much a diary of my own high school years. One-legged drug addict, friend killing other kid, everything.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Over the Edge --- Heathers --- River's Edge

" " "

Dazed and Confused --- Ferris Bueller's Day Off --- Fast Times at Ridgemont High 

???

I'd add in Permanent Record. Of the six you listed the only one I didn't like was FBDO. Then again I'm the weirdo that preferred Losing It to Risky Business as well.

More movies watched today:

Vice (leaving Peacock at the end of the month) - Not a bad movie although a bit superficial about its examination of Dick Cheney. Christian Bale is incredible as the Vice President (although at times it sounded like his version of Batman doing Dick Cheney than anything how the former VP talks). I loved how it combined text on screen, actual news footage, and actors/actresses superimposed on actual footage to form the movie.

Mon Oncle D'Amerique (leaving Max at the end of the month) - My first time watching an Alain Resnais film. Absolutely brilliant. The lecture from a real life scientist adds to the storylines presented but is separate at the same time. It's over 2 hours long but it flies by due to the acting, direction, and overall structure of the movie.

@CurtMcGirt (or anybody that's had a look at it) any thoughts on 'Out of the Blue'? Saw the 4K restoration (thanks to the great Chloe Sevigny and Natasha Lyonne) at the TIFF Lightbox here in Toronto. I thought it was pretty fantastic. Great lead from young Linda Manz. Hopper manic and out of control in front and behind the camera. Nice little sequence with Canadian punk legends the Pointed Sticks. Some pretty excellent stuntwork for what I would assume was a dirt cheap budget. 

Swear, I've never even heard of Out of the Blue before. You'd definitely think I would, obviously -- punk rock, Dennis Hopper, teen angst. I've gotta see it after checking out the trailer on iMDB. (How the hell did they do the semi running into the school bus?!?!) Matter of fact I've never heard of Pointed Sticks either, which is another really weird blank spot. A little poppy for my taste, and keyboards in my punk is always weird, but here's their first LP anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2r3QapCio0

Here's your trailer too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ua8Axep434&pp=ygUXb3V0IG9mIHRoZSBibHVlIHRyYWlsZXI%3D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Swear, I've never even heard of Out of the Blue before. You'd definitely think I would, obviously -- punk rock, Dennis Hopper, teen angst. I've gotta see it after checking out the trailer on iMDB. (How the hell did they do the semi running into the school bus?!?!) Matter of fact I've never heard of Pointed Sticks either, which is another really weird blank spot. A little poppy for my taste, and keyboards in my punk is always weird, but here's their first LP anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2r3QapCio0

Here's your trailer too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ua8Axep434&pp=ygUXb3V0IG9mIHRoZSBibHVlIHRyYWlsZXI%3D

Well, look for the forthcoming 4K restoration, I think it might be in your wheelhouse. The Canadian punks were a bit late to the dance in some cases, but there's some good ones. This for me is one of the higher points... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7GUTdFe0Wk

p.s. loved that Cro-Mags demo. A band that has always escaped me.

• Like 1

I always think of Out of the Blue as the American analog to Christiane F. They’re both very heavy adolescent dramas, but they also explore youth culture from the era in groundbreaking ways. With Out of the Blue, it feels like one of the last moments where Hopper felt truly dangerous as a performer before he started embracing his counterculture cred for nostalgia or playing straightforward creeps and villains. 

• Like 1

Dazed and Confused came out when I was in high school and pretty much captured how we were still living then. In Southern Illinois, trends came a little slower, so not a lot had changed since the late 70’s. Most weekends consisted of driving around trying to see who was maybe up for partying. 

Super bad came out post-college for me, but really nailed my high school experience, too. Both it and Dazed really showed that feeling of wandering around trying to figure out what to do/who you are. It didn’t hurt that the scene where Cera’s character accidentally stumbles into the room with some fairly scary dudes doing coke happened to me once when I was first hitting the older kids’ parties. Luckily, I didn’t have to sing for them. 

• Like 1

As someone who moved to a suburb a lot like New Granada when they were in 8th grade, Over the Edge was spot on. Expect for the whole “A kid who tells on another kid, is a dead kid!” thing, that was comical. 

Got back from the theater and saw....

Problemista - Essentially "Job Hunting in Late '20s/Early '30s: The Movie." Tilda Swanson's character literally gave me anxiety every time I saw her on screen. Glenn Close's character from The Devil Wears Prada but overwhelmed and on cocaine, meth and caffeine combined.

5 hours ago, Log said:

Dazed and Confused came out when I was in high school and pretty much captured how we were still living then. In Southern Illinois, trends came a little slower, so not a lot had changed since the late 70’s. Most weekends consisted of driving around trying to see who was maybe up for partying. 

Super bad came out post-college for me, but really nailed my high school experience, too. Both it and Dazed really showed that feeling of wandering around trying to figure out what to do/who you are. It didn’t hurt that the scene where Cera’s character accidentally stumbles into the room with some fairly scary dudes doing coke happened to me once when I was first hitting the older kids’ parties. Luckily, I didn’t have to sing for them. 

I was in college when Super Bad came out but based on younger friends I have had, it resonated with the high school crowd at that time. I haven't watched it since it came out but remember liking it a lot. 

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got back from the theater and saw....

Problemista - Essentially "Job Hunting in Late '20s/Early '30s: The Movie." Tilda Swanson's character literally gave me anxiety every time I saw her on screen. Glenn Close's character from The Devil Wears Prada but overwhelmed and on cocaine, meth and caffeine combined.

You mean Meryl Streep?

6 hours ago, Log said:

Dazed and Confused came out when I was in high school and pretty much captured how we were still living then. In Southern Illinois, trends came a little slower

Huh. That was '93, I was high school by '99 there, in Marion (next to Carbondale). I guess it was still Dazed and Confused for the most part -- kids were still driving in circles, parking at the Hardees. But I was treated like shit so much I ended up hanging out with all the juvenile delinquents who were smoking pot, stealing pills from their parents, and huffing air duster. It didn't end well. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

House on Haunted Hill ('59) is on TV. Just how many roles as a drunk or a bum did Elisha Cook, Jr. play? 

MV5BMDQ1ZmQxZGMtYTZkOC00ZjdhLWJhYmEtY2Mw

One of my favourites is Messiah of Evil

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Messiah of Evil was just on TV recently. It's as loony as I'd heard. Here's a way better version of it than the one that was on the Film Detective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDFDxMdsGk FFO: Carnival of Souls

There's an upgraded print of Messiah of Evil that improves the movie immensely (and it was already very good). It is a gorgeous film.

Saw two more today:

Jackie Brown (leaving Netflix at the end of the month) - One of the more story driven Quentin Tarantino movies that doesn't go over the top with 'shocking' material and told a competently well done story while keeping Tarantino's worst impulses in check.

Amsterdam (leaving Max on March 19) - Beautifully shot and at times competently directed but such a waste of time for everyone involved.

Spoiler

The movie spends much of its time making a mockery of war wounds and play it up as a farce rather than focusing on the central plot about the committee to install a general as president. If you don't like Taylor Swift (somehow), you'll be happy to see her get killed in the first 20 minutes. The setup of the movie would lead you to believe that everyone would potentially be out to get the three main characters but undoes that half way through the movie.

I enjoyed American Hustle because it literally copied/pasted Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas and left me with those vibes to want to see Goodfellas again. This, it made me want to watch better movies that exist.

Edited by Andrew POE!