DVDVR Message Board

The Continental Classic - A thread for pontificating, fantasy booking and ruling the motherfucking world.

southofheavy

General tournament pontificating:

Man, this thing has been awesome.  Great matches, fun storylines, and it's cool, toward the end, to figure out who's still alive and how.  The only thing I would change, if they're set on keeping the "top two in the block wrestle in the semis" format is maybe don't talk about tiebreakers too early.  Excalibur was going over a bunch of tiebreaker scenarios as early as last Wednesday (so we still had two rounds to go) and I felt like it muddied the whole thing.  I think a week out from the final rounds is where tiebreaker talk has to start.  Before that, just tell me who is still alive in the tournament, not why.

Overall, though, I'm torn on the whole issue of top two in the semis.  One, which I mentioned in the TV thread, is that it leaves the possibility of a guy running the table, yet being put in the position where he has to beat a guy he already beat once in order to get to the finals.  That's unfair to the guy who already beat everybody and proved he's the best in the division.  Also, we've now seen one block end in a three way tie.  So we went five weeks just to eliminate half the field.  On the other hand, only putting the guy who scores highest into the championship would kill off a bunch of stories and eliminate people earlier.  I don't know.  Maybe a bigger field and top two in the semis unless one guy goes undefeated?  That's how this dork here used to do it in TNM.  🙂

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm done with trying to figure this shit out and I'm just gonna take it as it comes. They're just gonna have to show me. Don't really care how they do it, either, because they already done gave us a fuckin 3-way so they can't screw it up worse than that, hopefully. 

• Like 1

I just wanna get Kingston/Danielson to finish their bracket, with Eddie winning decisively and disrespecting Dragon appropriately at the end of the match.

Then King can either lose to Mox and be completely crushed only to rise again, or to the hungry, "just needs something to get to that next level everybody says he could achieve" Swerve. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I need to catch up on this tournament. I'm behind. Which matches do you recommend? Cheers.

33 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I still prefer the time limit to be 30 minutes and not 20.

Literally EVERY SINGLE MATCH in the tournament is well worth watching. Not a single dud among them. Jay Lethal was the dude I was personally least stoked to watch, but he worked his ass off and everyone he fought looked great against him. My least favourite match was Switchblade vs Swerve (a bit go-go-go, move-move-move for my tastes) and it was still REALLY good.

If that's too much... Every Blue League match, maybe? 

That's too much? Probably goes without saying but EVERY Dragon and EVERY Mad King match is must-see. 

No fooling, my friend. You can't make a bad choice and ZERO matches were straight-up skippable.

Andrade vs Bryan was brutal. It's possible you might not enjoy it because you'll be too worried about Bryan.

Have to respectfully disagree with you on the time limits. It gave the matches greater urgency and prevented any sense of G1-type burnout. I wouldn't change a single thing about the C2 so far.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

Literally EVERY SINGLE MATCH in the tournament is well worth watching. Not a single dud among them. Jay Lethal was the dude I was personally least stoked to watch, but he worked his ass off and everyone he fought looked great against him. My least favourite match was Switchblade vs Swerve (a bit go-go-go, move-move-move for my tastes) and it was still REALLY good.

If that's too much... Every Blue League match, maybe? 

That's too much? Probably goes without saying but EVERY Dragon and EVERY Mad King match is must-see. 

No fooling, my friend. You can't make a bad choice and ZERO matches were straight-up skippable.

Andrade vs Bryan was brutal. It's possible you might not enjoy it because you'll be too worried about Bryan.

Have to respectfully disagree with you on the time limits. It gave the matches greater urgency and prevented any sense of G1-type burnout. I wouldn't change a single thing about the C2 so far.

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's about right. But you need to start with Daniel Garcia vs. Dragon. 

Cheers, lads. Haven't had the time to catch up. Only Bryan Danielson ones I've seen is vs. Eddie Kingston and vs. Claudio Castagnoli.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, lads. Haven't had the time to catch up. Only Bryan Danielson ones I've seen is vs. Eddie Kingston and vs. Claudio Castagnoli.

Been on a Bryan binge.

5. Bryan Danielson vs. Andrade El Idolo. AEW Collison, 5th December 2023. 

4. Bryan Danielson vs. Daniel Garcia. AEW Rampage, 6th December 2023. 

3. Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Collison, 2nd December 2023. 

2. Bryan Danielson vs. Brody King. AEW Collison, 16th December 2023. 

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli. AEW Collison, 23rd December 2023.

It's close between Bryan/Claudio and Bryan/Brody for top spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Eddie Kingston's story arch has been perfectly done, him going 5-0 would undermine his everyman-ness (like Tommy Dreamer, Dusty or Foley) but him having to scrap and claw his way back into it was great

I love that he absolutely SMOKED Andrade with the Backfist/Northern Lights Bomb combo and that was IT. 

This tournament has been so, so awesome. I'm having a hard time listing my favorite matches, and that should probably wait until the tourney is done. Pretty sure Danielson/Garcia is in the top spot, but then, Kingston/Garcia was a ripper, too. 

• Like 5

On 12/25/2023 at 9:53 AM, The Green Meanie said:

I'm going to predict Mox vs. Eddie as the final, with Eddie going over for the win.

If Mox goes to the finals, then Eddie goes too. And if that is the title match, then the only correct ending is Eddie going over. They have unfinished business from earlier this year, as well as 2020.

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 2

Both semi-finals were awsome. Considering how strong Mox has been booked in this tournament, him winning the whole thing would be such a "LOLCenaWins"-thing, I see basically no way it can happen. No, it CAN happen, but it definitely shouldn't!

Eddie, stop doubting yourself and just do it!

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Maybe the AEW media thread is more appropriate for this, but if you’re like me and need to catch up on this tournament…AEW just put seemingly the whole thing up on YouTube. Nearly 5 and a half hours of wrestling content in this video.

HOLY SMOKES! Thanks Will Washington!!!!!!

did some quick scrolling. I belie they’re JIP and/or clipped matches. Understandably though because that’s be a much longer upload. All in all, I’m excited to watch this. 

Edited by Octopus

On 12/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, The Natural said:

Been on a Bryan binge.

5. Bryan Danielson vs. Andrade El Idolo. AEW Collison, 5th December 2023. 

4. Bryan Danielson vs. Daniel Garcia. AEW Rampage, 6th December 2023. 

3. Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Collison, 2nd December 2023. 

Update:

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Andrade El Idolo. AEW Collison, 5th December 2023. 

5. Bryan Danielson vs. Daniel Garcia. AEW Rampage, 6th December 2023. 

4. Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Collison, 2nd December 2023. 

3. Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Dynamite, 27th December 2023.