DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON 2023

RIPPA

Reds are signing Nick Martinez - 2 years, $26 million but he can opt out after the first year

Cincy plans on him being a full time starter

His numbers were far better when he worked out of the pen

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

5 teams in 7 years. 6 in 8 now that he's signed with Cincy. 4 years under 100 ERA+ as a reliever, which is incredibly bad. But was good last year and he has had 2 other good years. 

$8m is a lot to pay for 60 innings when there's a more than 50% chance those 60 innings will suck. 

Don't forget that 51% fly ball rate.  In the Great America Smallpark.  That could get ugly early.

At least with the Nick Martinez signing, the Reds get more of a ground ball guy.  Not that I'd want him starting, but every team gobbling up pitchers so far have done some dicey things.  I guess it's chic or something.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 9:00 AM, RIPPA said:

Reds are signing Nick Martinez - 2 years, $26 million but he can opt out after the first year

Cincy plans on him being a full time starter

His numbers were far better when he worked out of the pen

Not sure how I feel about this. Stability is needed in the bullpen but he could potentially be a fill-in option if Lodolo or Ashcraft aren’t ready for Opening Day. Also think the $26 million is a bit steep but I’m not an expert!

The Brewers signed top prospect Jackson Chourio to an eight year extension

$82MM is guaranteed and there are two club options - each of them worth $25 million. Between all that and incentives he could hit - the deal maxes out at $142.5 million

It is by far the largest deal ever for a player who has yet to make their MLB debut. Chourio will just have turned 20 when the season starts.

(For context - for those unfamiliar - Chourio is basically considered the 2nd best current prospect in the bigs behind only the Os Jackson Holliday)

So the Angels salary dump near season end was successful as they were able to duck under the luxury tax for the year (this is technically still pending as the MLBPA has to signoff on MLB's accounting)

That being said - MLB is going to wait at least one more season before thinking about instituting rules to prevent such behavior 

Basically - if other teams do the same thing this season - they are changing the rules

The issue was discussed at the GM meetings in November, sources told ESPN, and it was decided then that more data was needed -- at least another season of evidence, to determine whether the Angels' salary dump was precedent for more of the same by other teams, or if the Angels' waiver choices in 2023 were a one-off event.

If there is another wave of financially driven waiver dumps next season, it's possible that regulations to curb that kind of behavior will be discussed next winter.

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

MLB rigged ran their draft lottery near the end of a work day on a Tuesday and the 76-86 Cleveland Guardians have the #1 pick next year

To clarify on this - the Nationals actually won the first attempt but they are ineligible to have a top pick due to the new anti-tanking rules so the lottery was done again and Cleveland won the second attempt 

• Like 1

John Fisher's skinflint ass was such a crybaby about how unfair it is that you have to pay out more money when you have the #1 pick so they came up with a way he'll never have to deal with that burden even when intentionally fielding the shittiest team possible.

The Orioles are apparently close to a deal with Craig Kimbrel. Which to me feels like your parents giving you the car they bought brand new 11 years ago which now has 200,000 miles on it, leaks fluids and could fall apart the first time you hit a pothole. I mean yeah, it still runs but....

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

By all indications - Juan Soto to the Yankees is happening

I'm not believing it until I see him in the uniform.  I never underestimate Cashman's ability to lose a done deal in the final seconds, or kill one because the spreadsheet says something bad about someone's exit velo or his adversion to having Left Handed batters IN A FUCKING PARK MADE FOR LEFT HANDED BATTERS!

Insert the IT'S HAPPENING!!! gif here

https://x.com/jonmorosi/status/1732521351297019963?s=20

EDIT - Stupid Board

Juan Soto trade agreement is being finalized now, source confirms. 

The deal, as 
@JackCurryYES
 and 
@Joelsherman1
 reported, sends Soto and Trent Grisham to New York for Michael King, Drew Thorpe, Jhony Brito, Randy Vásquez, and Kyle Higashioka. 

• Like 1