DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

Some people think Serenity is the ship to build. Or the Millennium Falcon.

Those people are wrong. It's all about the Rocinante.

Fuck it. Since there's a dearth in TV at the moment, I'm going to re-watch the Expanse.

I almost feel bad for getting the Razorleaf. It's just so OP. I ran a mission where I basically had to go from planet to planet going into ship battles with spacers and they were just no match. I don't think I was ever at risk. Then again, I'm level 30 and the ships I'm fighting against are level 4 or 12 or something. 

The strongest ship I faced was the Warlock and that thing was I think level 30 or so.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was gonna ask how the fuck am I think only one coming across flying creatures but all the "complete lists of creatures" makes no mention of them too so clearly those lists are worthless

And they are on some of the early planets you can visit too - like I have only been to Alpha Centuri and Sol

I am gonna have to look up the name the next time I play

I've seen quite a few flying creatures, but remember when you said something about fish, or animals in water, I haven't come across any of those.  Matter of fact, I don't think I've even come across a body of water.  

This Ebon Hawk build is pretty cool but in a game world that more or less goes with the Serenity / Expanse route and has Earth being the cradle of spacefaring humanity, I'm more inclined to build a ship that draws inspiration from Firefly or the Expanse.

I love that Roci build.  I will have to find the discipline to getting comfortable and creative with ship building.

Edited by J.T.

Just hit level 35 tonight. Still no combat perks taken, have only done stealth to level 2 on physical. Starting to work more in Social but honestly the only things in that tree that interest me are level 1 perks until we get deep in 3 and 4. Everything else still remains in Science and Tech. My Frontier is the terror in the skies. Over 2,000 Shields, a massive Hull, while still keeping full Mobility and a Top Speed around 150 before boosts. I’ve had 4 Bounty Hunter ships all level 30 or higher try to take me down at once and I wiped all of them out before they took away half my shields.

I also figured my answer out for the weapon question, and think I can give recommendations: You want Particle Beams and EM Weapons. Particle Beams are about 80% as effective as Laser Weapons on Shields and 80% as effective as Ballistic Weapons on Hulls. No need to switch out the allocation system when you have 1 weapon that is damn good at both jobs. The EM Weapons are there if you wanna board, as a strong system can wipeout your targets engines in no time flat. 

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Is this where I don’t tell @J.T. I found a copy of Oliver Twist

Oh, I've already found a copy of Oliver Twist, but I couldn't keep it legit.  It was in the apartment of the bank hackers in the Alternating Currents mission and if I took it, it would've been marked as Stolen.  So now I have to go to London and get my snow globe.

Reddit answers my questions.   The reason you cannot get Vasco to "wait" during One Small Step is because he's technically not a "companion" yet, so squad commands can't be issued to him. 

For those of you who want to be dirty bastards and invest in Stealth, hitting someone with weapons fire from a suppressed firearm while you are HIDDEN counts towards the Sneak Attack challenges as does plain ol' sneaking up behind someone and whacking 'em with a melee weapon.

If anything bad happens to Donna Rain, I will lose my shit.

Why is Sarah romanceable and not Nyssa, the hot bartender at The Viewpoint?

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

My second character joined the Vanguard, and yeah, their quest line is a blast so far.

I feel like some of the most fun missions I've done have been in the factions, particularly Vanguard, and the game really 'turned around' for me when I put the main mission aside and started doing the factions. While its a common Bethesda "problem" in their games, the faction quests so far is where the fun is. I only do the main mission quest from time to time to keep the story going.

Yeah - I got sucked down the Vanguard chain more than I planned on.

I need to at least fly to Akilia City or Neon because pretty much all my mission board things are located in that area now

Okay - my biggest complaint with the game right now is if you make a ship modification - it takes all your shit and tosses it into the cargo hold so then you have to move everything back

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I feel like some of the most fun missions I've done have been in the factions, particularly Vanguard, and the game really 'turned around' for me when I put the main mission aside and started doing the factions. While its a common Bethesda "problem" in their games, the faction quests so far is where the fun is. I only do the main mission quest from time to time to keep the story going.

I can't really speak to the main mission, as neither of my characters has had more than a passing interest in Constellation's mission. (My next character will probably be a techie nerd who's way into space exploration.) But the faction quests are a mixed bag IMO. The one that starts with "Deep Cover" is much less well-written than what I'm playing now. I've only noticed one major plot hole in that one, and I'm prepared to forgive it.

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - I got sucked down the Vanguard chain more than I planned on.

It's hard not to, as you don't have to go very far down it before events reach a point where progressing that quest is clearly more important than anything else going on. (In fact, one minor complaint I have with it is that they could easily have written in a break or two where you could have a few days to do side quests.)

Yeah, I passed on the Vanguard invite for now.  I am sure SGT Yumi will have more work for his part-time security consultant later on and I don't want my mission queue to explode.  I still have to talk to the scientist at the tree later on and a bunch of other shit. 

I'll stop by Earth to get my snow globe one Sarah and I are done in Cydonia.

Speaking of UC Security work, I'm sure neckbeards like Heelsvsbabyface who were triggered by pronouns absolutely shitted when they dialed up A Break at Dawn and found out that they were going to have to pick up the pieces left in the wake of a shattered relationship between two queer dudes who were about to get married.

I talked Hugo into returning the engagement ring.  I felt a little guilty about it, but I needed the Persuasion check success.  My Ronin isn't a total douchebag, though.  I did not take Zoe's offer and gave the data on the GalBank hack to Louisa.  Zoe didn't seem too brokenhearted about it, so I think she might still give me some smuggling business when the time comes to ask her.

Edited by J.T.

Starred Sam Coe missions. Failed my Persuasion check the first time so had to redo it. Got greedy trying to scan plants and animals and got killed twice by those Alita? the wolf/lizard predators. Human combat getting a smidge better. Got busted IN RANGER HQ for picking up food off someone's desk and the cleaning lady narced on me and it cost me 37 credits. 

9 hours ago, tbarrie said:

How many coffees did you buy her? You know she has a boyfriend, right?

Only one coffee and yes, she goes on and on about Tony.   Tony is also one of the people that Marcus Lestari, the Sanctum Universum member, pays you to deliver religious literature to and talk to them about why they haven't returned to church.. 

One of the other people is Evie Martinez, the protester yelling hate slogans in front of the Freestar Collective embassy.  She's got major issues, but it is understandable as she lost her father in the Colony War.

If Stout were here, he would insert jokes about how I would wear raggedy jean shorts with a hole near the ass and no shirt to the door whenever Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses would show up at my crib in order to make them feel as uncomfortable as possible and leave me alone without giving me any of their stuff.

Edited by J.T.

I think that Nyssa is the only bartender in the galaxy with decent customer service skills.  Most of the others, especially the islands dude in the Well, are assholes.  And even though Nyssa is nice to you, she also wants you to retrieve her impounded cargo and doesn't really care if you break the law to get the job done.

Speaking of breaking the law, on my job application to Ryujin, I put that I had a criminal history using the game logic that it will probably improve my chances of getting a job with them, not worsen them.  We shall see if my gamble pays off.

Edited by J.T.