DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

God, yes, the map situation is pretty dire. The star map desperately needs a search function and the city maps desperately need to exist.

Eh, the lack of a city map doesn't really bother me.  Some side quests like Alternating Currents are deliberately designed to get you to explore the immediate area and the best way to pick up side missions is to eavesdrop on other people's conversations or talk to NPCs, so walk around, learn the landmarks, and rack up activities for your quest log.

Out of the thousands of planets in the galaxy, probably a handful will be major cities (Neon, Akila City, New Atlantis, etc) so the problem will be remembering where shit is when you are away for a long time and you brain dump all of that city walk knowledge.

Got my first full game crash

Not bad since i am a little over 25 hours in

Of course - I lost about 20 minutes of gameplay since I was just fucking around scanning things on a planet so I didn't think to do a save

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - there better not be a fucking achievement tied to collecting plushies because I decide at the start not to collect a single one

Nope, no achievement for plushie collection.  That was the first thing I checked after I found my first one.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Boy - Sarah fucking hates animals

If a creature gets within like 1000 meters she starts blasting the fucker

Yeah, I got the full biodata profile for Kreet Grazers after Vasco just decided to murder an entire herd of them for looking at him funny.

Then the trilobites came to scavenge off of the corpses and I scanned enough of those critters to reach 100%.

My game was very slow after the update. Seemed to be better after a reboot. 

went to do my first Ranger mission. Ran into a canyon full of giant bugs. I guess they swarm as I was getting hit from behind (wasn’t wearing my headset since i asnt streaming) and died. Lost all my progress. Dome for the night. 

Something I didn't discover right away is that using the star map is often slower than just orienting your ship towards the blue quest marker dot and hitting the X button to fast travel without even pausing. It's also more immersive that way since you get the grav drive animation so hey ho.

The lack of city maps is pretty strange. It's definitely a chore to keep all the vendor locations straight without them.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Boy - Sarah fucking hates animals

If a creature gets within like 1000 meters she starts blasting the fucker

To be fair, I've gotten merced by some of those creatures that just pop up out of nowhere and are pretty much "every-type-of-ammo-including-fucking-gernades" sponges.

So yeah.  If you see any videos telling you that the copy of Oliver Twist appears in a specific place, you can put "GO FUCK YOURSELF~!" in the Comment section. 

The novel, like all other collectables, is a random thing.  If you find and read the book, you'll get a mission to travel to Earth and

Spoiler

find a snow globe collectable in what's left of London.

You might see a copy of Oliver Twist as soon as the intro mission on Vectera (you'll find it inside the latrine that has the Out of Order sign on it) but if you don't, be of good cheer as it is in some other location.  Explore and you will probably find the book sooner or later.

Speaking of Earth, if you dig Persuasion checks and enjoy going down dialogue check rabbit holes, talk to Jiro Sugiyama at the security office in Paradiso  and do the First Contact mission.  It plays out just like the Star Trek TNG episode, The Neutral Zone.

Oh, and it is poorly communicated, but I think you are still able to manipulate an object in the game world TES / Fallout style by hovering over it with your cursor and holding the A button on XBox / E key on PC .  This puts the object in front of you instead of placing it in your inventory.  Then you should be able to move the object around with either your bumpers or triggers on XBox / mouse buttons on PC and either release A / E to set the object or throw it using the X button / R key.

Now you can place and sort your plushies on your bed in your room at the Lodge!

Edited by J.T.

Oh, and if you are a Ronin with the Wanted trait, you get some interesting dialogue choices.

If you run into bounty hunters (and you will) you will get a Ronin specific line of dialogue where you pretty much say, "Do you really want to fuck with this?"

If you succeed in your dialogue check, the bounty hunters will be like "Uh, yeah.  You look pretty badass," will allow you to walk away for the time being if you bribe them.

You can ditch the Kid Stuff trait by telling your folks you don't want any more support and you can lose the Dream House by defaulting on a payment, so it stood to reason that the way to not be Wanted anymore would be to find the person that put the bounty out on you and either persuade them to remove it or kill them.   Or at least I hope it works like that.

Part of the reason I took Wanted was so that I could be like Riddick and say something like "Now who do I have to kill to get this payday off my head?" and then go out on a unique mission.

Also, if you are into window dressing and table setting, don't just walk out of the airlock in the intro mission.  There are two sets of logs (one from Lin and the other from Heller) that you can collect and listen to.  There is also log inside the spacesuit cage in front of a female miner sitting on a bench that you can read and learn about managing CO2 buildup in spacesuits in s aka it's an intro to the Stamina / Oxygen physical exertion mechanic in the game.

IIRC, there is also a set of 3 logs from Barrett on the Frontier. 

If you missed any of that, don't worry because you'll return to the mine in the Back to Vectera mission.  While you are catching up with old friends, don't forget to check around because you can obtain Heller's customized laser cutter and use that instead of the shitty laser cutter you've been lugging around the galaxy.

Edited by J.T.

I am not sure WHY it was happening but I have to do some rearranging to get more people on my ship.

First of all - I am still on the Frontier. I have the quest to get the Mantis but wasn't sure if I wanted to do it yet because I want to make sure I can handle the combat

Anyway - I had grabbed Marika the other day and kept wondering why she wasn't showing up on my ship. So when I was back in New Atlantis I swung by Viewpoint and there she was being all "PUT ME IN COACH! I WANNA PLAY!!!" and I was like "I could have sworn I assigned you to the ship." So I go into the menu and she is unassigned. I then also notice that Sarah is unassigned. So I am like "that's not good". And the game won't let me assign them saying there is no open spots.

So I unassigned the Adoring Fan and suddenly I could assign BOTH Marika and Sarah to the ship. So now I have both of them and the Coe Family wandering around the Frontier (plus Vasco but I don't know where he hides during space flight) with the added bonus that I don't have to listen to the Adoring Fan anymore.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So I unassigned the Adoring Fan and suddenly I could assign BOTH Marika and Sarah to the ship. So now I have both of them and the Coe Family wandering around the Frontier (plus Vasco but I don't know where he hides during space flight) with the added bonus that I don't have to listen to the Adoring Fan anymore.

Vasco is like an R2 unit from Star Wars.  He plugs into a robotics bay on the exterior of your designated ship.

I also finished up the first mission on the UC Vanguard thingy and I don't think it went the way for me that Bethesda planned

Spoiler

So I am turning on the lasers and shit to make the fight with the terrormorph "easier" and literally the first corner I rounded, the fucker was standing right there. (I was pissed the sensor literally went from 50 m to 0 m with no warning. Anyway, I took two steps back through the doorway I had come out of and the fucker got stuck in the door so I just stood there blasting away (while Sarah nailed him from behind). Needed no additional weaponry

• Haha 3

While FO4 game me the funniest Bethesda RPG quest ever with the Last Flight of the USS Constitution, Starfield gave me one of the scariest quests with what Rippa described. Mind you, that was maybe one of the first quests I did and I didn't have shit for weaponry. It wasn't like I was playing Alien: Isolation or anything, but still, when the radar starts beeping faster and it's right on you, I would only run until the beeping slowed down. Then from there I'm stalking around trying not to attract this monster's attention while I can do what you need to do.

The end of the quest for me played out differently than it did for Rippa though. I would say my experience was more like the end of Tremors.

OH!

I do love randomly going places where the combat starts immediately where the ship is because then you get the added bonus of Vasco joining the fray (assuming he isn't your follower)

I docked at a random space station and spacers started shooting me as I got in and Vasco was having none of that so he raced around the entire first floor wiping the floor with them

My brother is 70 hours in and tells me that Operation Starseed is the most Fallout 4 mission in the game and he means that in the absolute best way imaginable.

It is supposed to be batshit insane and hilarious.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Land based creatures have been fine

It's the air born ones that are more of a problem - especially when Sarah is fucking aggroing all of them

Wait... THEY FLY NOW?

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

That's a MUCH better one than a lot of the Class A base ones I've seen floating around.  I will say my biggest dissappointment in ship-building has been the cockpits.  Some of they have shit visibility an you have to use 3rd person to fight.  Also not a fan but I understand that different shipyards will have different parts, but that would've been easier to deal with if like, there was anything indicating what planets/stations had shipyards on the map, or there was any way to tag them on maps.  But it gives me motivation to actually start working on an outpost (since I saw in most of the building tutorials that you can get access to most every part if you put a shipbuilding pad at your outpost.)

• Like 1

I was gonna ask how the fuck am I think only one coming across flying creatures but all the "complete lists of creatures" makes no mention of them too so clearly those lists are worthless

And they are on some of the early planets you can visit too - like I have only been to Alpha Centuri and Sol

I am gonna have to look up the name the next time I play