DVDVR Message Board

Collision - 6/17/2023

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

The guy who got injured twice in three matches calling other people soft is the capstone on a career (life?) completely lacking in self-awareness.

Getting injured does not equal being soft. That’s ridiculous. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Log said:

Getting injured does not equal being soft. That’s ridiculous. 

What makes Kenny and the Bucks soft? Drew talking points will not be accepted.

EDIT: If Kevin Kelly is ever the regular PBP for Dynamite, I may have to join Gordlow on fandom sabbatical.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

What makes Kenny and the Bucks soft? Drew talking points will not be accepted.

EDIT: If Kevin Kelly is ever the regular PBP for Dynamite, I may have to join Gordlow on fandom sabbatical.

When did I say anything about Kenny and the Bucks? You said Punk was “soft” for being injured. I said someone getting injured doesn’t make them soft. 

Athletes get injured. Some more than others. It has to do with style of play (or work for wrestlers), body composition, and a million other things. Saying a person isn’t tough because they got injured doing a job that is insanely injury-prone is just wrong. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah, that "Counterfeit Bucks" line was good.  If they are going to throw shots at each other cool but that doesn't make much money,  get in the ring boys! 

Anyway, this was a good show. 

I don't know if it was intentional or not but it felt different stylistically..  did anyone notice this?   More mat grappling, hard hitting, more selling.. bigger dudes..   I enjoyed it.   Set looks great too. 

So between this observation and this show having a dope theme song by a music legend, maybe should I give this show a shot?

Sounds like I need to peep this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dog said:

Punk did. Is he wrong, too?

Punk meant soft, as in, not mentally tough. He wasn’t referring to injury history. 

I don’t care if he’s wrong or right. He’s a dude on a show I watch. 

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

Punk had been outwardly working a bodyslam-first, highspots-second style as an attempt to come of as a "locker room leader". You might even say it was an "anti-Elite" style from the jump. There was absolutely an air to his Mid-Atlantic aping "Work Smart Not Hard" output that reads as pretentious and misintentioned after his injuries.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Okay, let's pivot then. Do these things not make Punk mentally soft?

- Arguing with fans online when they make criticisms about his ring work that he eventually changes

- Feeling disrespected because he wasn't allowed to headline a WrestleMania

-Cutting of a friendship with someone because he asked for someone else's phone number.

- Thinking Adam Page would SHOOT ON HIM because Page said mean, unapproved things about him on a microphone

- Thinking Page was taking liberties with him when Punk himself has chopped people in the face accidentally

- Giving one shit what the dirtsheets say about him and Colt Cabana

- calling people incompetent managers because people talk in AEW talk to the sheets, when people have talked to the sheets for 40-50 years, at least

- Throwing a punch when someone comes to talk to you, which is exactly what you asked for 5 minutes previously

- Being so upset about what Bryan Alvarez says that he spends all day making TikToks of his dog

I'm sure there are a million things I'm leaving out. Punk frames this as defending himself, but I argue that a mentally strong person wouldn't take things so personally and probably wouldn't give a shit. Point being, a pot with this laundry list of mental weaknesses has no place calling a kettle mentally soft.

EDIT: @The Man Known as DanPunk is presented as a babyface. A hypocritical heel is a good thing. It's a reason to hate them. A hypocritical babyface makes no sense.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

Okay, let's pivot then. Do these things not make Punk mentally soft?

- Arguing with fans online when they make criticisms about his ring work that he eventually changes

- Feeling disrespected because he wasn't allowed to headline a WrestleMania

-Cutting of a friendship with someone because he asked for someone else's phone number.

- Thinking Adam Page would SHOOT ON HIM because Page said mean, unapproved things about him on a microphone

- Thinking Page was taking liberties with him when Punk himself has chopped people in the face accidentally

- Giving one shit what the dirtsheets say about him and Colt Cabana

- calling people incompetent managers because people talk in AEW talk to the sheets, when people have talked to the sheets for 40-50 years, at least

- Throwing a punch when someone comes to talk to you, which is exactly what you asked for 5 minutes previously

- Being so upset about what Bryan Alvarez says that he spends all day making TikToks of his dog

I'm sure there are a million things I'm leaving out. Punk frames this as defending himself, but I argue that a mentally strong person wouldn't take things so personally and probably wouldn't give a shit. Point being, a pot with this laundry list of mental weaknesses has no place calling a kettle mentally soft.

EDIT: @The Man Known as DanPunk is presented as a babyface.

Punk is very clearly being positioned as a tweener, and that promo made it obvious. He's a babyface in Chicago because of course he's a babyface in Chicago. Crowds are going to react to him however they want and he will wrestle in response to that reaction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goitre said:

Wanna explain that one to me, champ? 

You insinuated I said Elton John was chosen TO BE cutting edge. As in they thought picking Elton John WAS being cutting edge. I did not. I said you should strive to be cutting edge, and Elton John isn't it. I can't be anymore clear than that. If you still don't get it that's a you problem not a me problem.

3 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Punk is very clearly being positioned as a tweener, and that promo made it obvious. He's a babyface in Chicago because of course he's a babyface in Chicago. Crowds are going to react to him however they want and he will wrestle in response to that reaction.

April 14th, 2004. CM Punk has his first match against Tracy Smothers. Is it at this exact point where he learns how to be a TWEENER, MAN~? Well I guess I'll just have to re-up my IWTV sub for a month and watch all four of their matches together to get to the bottom of all this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

The guy who got injured twice in three matches calling other people soft is the capstone on a career (life?) completely lacking in self-awareness.

I heard Meltzer gave CM Punk vs the guardrail he broke his foot on 5 stars. Would’ve been six if it was in Reseda or the Tokyo Dome.

I guess he should have just piled on the injuries and left them untreated for years, like Omega.

Youre out here getting worked and baited, HARD, by a clearly tweener leaning heel Punk. But you do you, fam. Even the Bucks are in on it if their Twitter bio is anything to go by.

It’s too bad the Punk promo, which was pretty tame imo, is going to get all the chatter because there was a ton to like in this show. 

Miro is totally back in beast mode. Dude looked like a killer tonight. 

Buddy and Andrade apparently just decided to steal the whole fucking show right out from under everyone. That was just two dudes saying “fuck it” and throwing everything they had out there. I’ll gladly take some more Andrade vs HoB if it’s half as good as that match. 

I’ve been pretty “eh” on The Outcasts, but I love how good they’ve gotten at towing that line where they can stooge like hell but still be seen as dangerous. That’s not easy to pull off. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

So what was in the bag? 

I was hoping it was Larry and Punk was going to start doing a Jake the Snake thing where he’d hit the GTS and when the dude was out, he’d sic Larry on them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9