DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

I always figured if Stardom sent a wrestler it would be more of a midcard level, I mean there would be no benefit for them to send someone like Giulia. Something like Hazuki vs. Toni Storm (just to pull a name out of the hat) would be fun but I am certainly not expecting it to happen. It is kinda funny to me though that everyone's reason is that "Rossy doesn't want to" as while Rossy is running Stardom if Bushiroad wanted a Stardom wrestler on the show then a Stardom wrestler would be. I have no reason to believe Rossy can over-rule Bushiroad. But I don't think its necessary, even if I am amused by how "upset" over all of it the Stardom twitter fans are.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I always figured if Stardom sent a wrestler it would be more of a midcard level, I mean there would be no benefit for them to send someone like Giulia. Something like Hazuki vs. Toni Storm (just to pull a name out of the hat) would be fun but I am certainly not expecting it to happen. It is kinda funny to me though that everyone's reason is that "Rossy doesn't want to" as while Rossy is running Stardom if Bushiroad wanted a Stardom wrestler on the show then a Stardom wrestler would be. I have no reason to believe Rossy can over-rule Bushiroad. But I don't think its necessary, even if I am amused by how "upset" over all of it the Stardom twitter fans are.

Bushiroad seems very content to let Rossy do whatever as long as it's not hurting their books, and Rossy has been very content to focus on Japan and build up Stardom's profile there. Even sending a midcard wrestler to go take a loss doesn't do anything for them, so why do it when you can run your own shows and make your own money?

7 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Bushiroad seems very content to let Rossy do whatever as long as it's not hurting their books, and Rossy has been very content to focus on Japan and build up Stardom's profile there. Even sending a midcard wrestler to go take a loss doesn't do anything for them, so why do it when you can run your own shows and make your own money?

The theory would be to use Forbidden Door to get the commentators to talk about Stardom and plug Stardom World to 150,000 paying and 100,000 illegally streaming customers, some who may not be aware of Stardom. They do still sell PPVs with English commentary so while Rossy is focused on Japan they do sell their product to an International audience and if the deal was "we send you a wrestler, you plug our shit" it would be an easy way to advertise to the right audience. I don't care either way personally, I am more amused by Stardom fans that seem to think it would be offensive or bad for Stardom to participate in this yearly harmless event.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The theory would be to use Forbidden Door to get the commentators to talk about Stardom and plug Stardom World to 150,000 paying and 100,000 illegally streaming customers, some who may not be aware of Stardom. They do still sell PPVs with English commentary so while Rossy is focused on Japan they do sell their product to an International audience and if the deal was "we send you a wrestler, you plug our shit" it would be an easy way to advertise to the right audience. I don't care either way personally, I am more amused by Stardom fans that seem to think it would be offensive or bad for Stardom to participate in this yearly harmless event.

There's always been a small segment of Stardom fans that don't like cooperation with other groups in general (I seem to recall a minor hullabaloo when Stardom participated in the Korakuen anniversary last year) and it's always been eye-rolling.

My only guess is that they tried that exposure theory before when Bea Priestley was World of Stardom Champion and it didn't do much for them, so they're cold on AEW as a result.

• Like 1

I don't think Rossy or Kidani have much interest in working with AEW mostly because it really doesn't offer Stardom much aside from potential extra exposure which likely isn't near as much as some western fans think/hope it is. I think most who watch AEW are already aware of Stardom to some extent. Beyond that there is far more interest from Bushiroad in continuing to grow their domestic audience first. That was one of the big stated goals from when they bought Stardom. If AEW had a star who could help out out for a big show I think things would be different, but the biggest one available in Mercedes Mone chose to go the freelance route and deal with Bushiroad directly. 

2 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

My only guess is that they tried that exposure theory before when Bea Priestley was World of Stardom Champion and it didn't do much for them, so they're cold on AEW as a result.

Priestly was champ before the buyout went through and that came about mostly because of Kagestu's insistence. Priestly also had contracts with both Stardom and AEW at the time. If anything soured them on the idea it was more than likely the issue with Riho when she was High Speed champ and never dropped a fall.

Supposedly the reason they didn't work with AEW back then was more because the ROH relationship was still in effect. They gained exposure from that with subs for Stardom World apparently going up back then despite some Stardom fans being unhappy with it.

I don't follow Stardom at all so a lot of this conversation is over my head. But I'm just curious why really the only two options that have been mentioned are sending a mid carder to job to Toni or sending a top star to job to Toni. Theoretically couldn't they send a top star and AEW agree to let them go over a non-champ woman? It's all moot because they have a big show that day and no one is available. But I don't see why having their top person come over and beat Britt or Ruby or something wouldn't have been a possibility. For this idea to work AEW can't have their people win every match.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't follow Stardom at all so a lot of this conversation is over my head. But I'm just curious why really the only two options that have been mentioned are sending a mid carder to job to Toni or sending a top star to job to Toni. Theoretically couldn't they send a top star and AEW agree to let them go over a non-champ woman? It's all moot because they have a big show that day and no one is available. But I don't see why having their top person come over and beat Britt or Ruby or something wouldn't have been a possibility. For this idea to work AEW can't have their people win every match.

The assumption from fans is AEW would only want possible dream matches or title defenses with the biggest Stardom (Giulia, Mayu, Utami, Tam, or Syuri) coming over to drop a fall. I actually think this mindset is slightly overblown. As long as an AEW title isn't on the line I doubt TK would have any issue with any of his division dropping a fall. I also kind of doubt Stardom would have an issue with even bigger mid carder coming in to drop a fall to people like Toni or Hayter. Hayter was the no. 2 gaijin when the pandemic struck and dethroned Utami for a title. Toni straight up was gaijin ace and won both major singles tournaments.

It really has likely only not happened due to timing and Stardom not getting enough out of it from their POV. I still assume it eventually happens if TK wants it bad enough. 

• Like 1

From the reports I've read, Mercedes was possibly slated to come in and wrestle Saraya at Forbidden Door II so that was probably Plan A for Tony if it's true.  But since Mercedes doesn't discuss her business with anyone, nobody really knows whether it's true or not and I doubt Tony will confirm it.  

Also, I'm not sure I like that idea.  Mercedes really likes Saraya and vice versa but the issue is I just don't think Saraya can go anymore.  She seems slow and plodding in AEW.  I think her best years are behind her. 

• Like 2

PPV purchased, although I'm still in the process of trying to watch Double or Nothing all the way through, plus I haven't watched past two Dynamites to avoid spoilers. There was also a Bundle deal on FITE, but since I already had bought D&N at the time, it didn't really make sense to get it anymore.

So Forbidden Door is in Toronto, but Sanada’s opponent is Jungle Boy from Los Angeles. Strikes me as a missed opportunity to not have his challenger be a home town (or at least, home country) hero.

At thus rate, we’ll never hear a duelling chant of Sanada/Canada, is what I’m saying. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

We need Sting and Darby Allin teaming up. Sting/Darby Allin/Shingo Takagi vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson/El Phantasmo was my favourite match of Forbidden Door 2023.

Would you accept Sting/Darby vs Jay White/Juice Robinson? I get that Bullet Club Gold isn’t NJPW, but I don’t see them leaving Jay off the card. 

• Like 2

Who else isn't booked yet but will probably be booked?

Mox? The Bucks? Hangman? FTR?

In March Wardlow told me his dream opponent in NJPW is Jeff Cobb...that would be a total banger.

We're probably getting some AEW vs NJPW matches the night before on Collison too.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 5

Who else isn't booked yet but will probably be booked?

Mox? The Bucks? Hangman? FTR?

In March Wardlow told be his dream opponent in NJPW is Jeff Cobb...that would be a total banger.

We're probably getting some AEW vs NJPW matches the night before on Collison too.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Based on who you listed I wouldn’t mind Mox vs Yano. There’s definitely a backstory, and it would be fun. Or Mox and Shooter vs The Bucks? FTR I could see being in a six man with Punk but I don’t know who they’d face. Could Swerve vs Hiromu be booked? 

I think Wardlow should definitely get his dream match too. That would be excellent. 

• Like 3

In March Wardlow told me his dream opponent in NJPW is Jeff Cobb...that would be a total banger.

Seconded - I've got a feeling if not Cobb, it'll be someone like Ishii or Suzuki (or though not technically an NJPW guy anymore, Lance Archer) There's gotta be a reason they had him looking so monstrous against Hager this week

• Like 3

Honestly, I would love to see the Bucks/Hangman and the BCC both take on lower ranked NJPW trios. Get the NJPW trios some US face time and see how the fans react (for later excursions or similar) and continue the build of Bucks/Hangman/Omega/?? vs BCC/Takeshita/??? for Blood and Guts.

• Like 3

Now that I think about it, if it wasn't for the fact you're trying to NOT piss off the NJPW execs, FDII would be an awesome place to debut Kota Ibushi. But considering Ibushi/NJPW history, it'd probably go over like a thumb in NJPW's eye.