DVDVR Message Board

Ask Octopus Anything

Octopus

Fun fact: many years ago I went on a long rant about how I hated the misuse of the term “diva” to just mean any slightly temperamental female pop star. And then one of my friends realized that my name (John Lowe, rhymes with cow but most people think it rhymes with snow) could be nicknamed as JLowe and it stuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of map and text that says 'tilthat TIL Marine biologists are claiming there isa rare instance of non-human warfare happening between octopuses in the waters off the coast of Australia. The octopuses are fighting. in large groups over territory and even using_projectiles such as seashells to spit at enemies. via reddit.com pain-and-missouri Octopi are intense bransrath prefer octopedes celticpyro "Animals don't go to war because they're cinnamon rolls unlike ebil humans uwu" Check- fucking-mate Linda, cephalopods are having trench warfare in the ocean. arishok-s They're literally in the shell age'

@Octopusthoughts on this

The violence and all out war that is happening off the coast of Australia is both saddening and something closely watched by the entire Global Cephalopod Community. Various groups have a claim to this part of the ocean and with various external alliances it could really shake up the current economic seascape.

As a species, we have been looked down upon for quite some time. We are well past the Shell Age and have technological advances that someone shy of 9-brains would really struggle to understand. But I’ll simple it down for everyone: Recyclable paper straws that don’t deteriorate.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, zendragon said:

choose your entrance music

Ohhhhh, I could see myself slithering down the ramp to either.

Singles match - Octopus’s Garden

My Current Faction (Quaker World Order) - the Candlemass song. Which, lol I saw boobies.

• Like 1

I had a dream last night where I, an adult male was riding a school bus, and a generic school bully started picking on the kid sitting next to me, so I stood up for him and challenged the bully to a fight after school (?!) and all the kids were super excited...but then started booing me because I was working shitty back rakes and lengthy chinlocks.

Is this a sign?

• Haha 3

@Octopus

what do you recommend as an "off the beaten path" pizza topping?

with the right co-toppings, i think pickles work surprisingly well. but then, i also eat pickles on burritos, so maybe i just think they should go on everything

On 9/2/2023 at 3:07 AM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I had a dream last night where I, an adult male was riding a school bus, and a generic school bully started picking on the kid sitting next to me, so I stood up for him and challenged the bully to a fight after school (?!) and all the kids were super excited...but then started booing me because I was working shitty back rakes and lengthy chinlocks.

Is this a sign?

You naughty stinker you. You have the soul of a face but a heel at heart. You will stand up for what is right, but you’ll throw dirt in the eyes. You’ll stick up for nerds and you want to stick it to bully’s so badly that you subconsciously want to go undercover and re-go to school. Get suspenders and a little helicopter hat and go to the nearest middle school with a fake idea. Infiltrate the bully organization from within and take them down. You won’t get a good nights sleep until you wedgie every young bully in the Tri-State area.

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

@Octopus

what do you recommend as an "off the beaten path" pizza topping?

with the right co-toppings, i think pickles work surprisingly well. but then, i also eat pickles on burritos, so maybe i just think they should go on everything

Oh man, I’m really racking my brain with this. I’ve had funky foods but in terms of pizza, I’m struggling to recall ones I’d see at different buffets. 
Pickles on pizza works, I’ve had a good cheeseburger pizza that was hamburger meat, big tomatoes, and pickles. I assume bbq.
I’ve done ham that I flavored with Alpine seasoning. That worked well on like a Jack’s pizza.

Sauerkraut is underrated. You can have that on like a sausage pizza.

It’s standard, but if I have like a two toppings coupon or something, I think sausage and green peppers. I like a supreme type pizza with sausage and peppers and things like that. My brother likes pepperoni and jalapeños.

I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure lamb would be delicious on pizza.

I don’t know if this counts, but when I was in St Paul, there was a deli you could get a Miracle on Slice. It was a deli sandwich but pizza instead of bread. It was a good mess. That place had really good Philly Cheesesteaks though, so I’d usually get that. Closed now, sadly.

It’s an extra step, but reheating on a pan is a good way to go. Gives it a crisp burnt bottom and new life. Cold is usually still a good way to go.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I've never understood the resistance to pickles.

I think people sometimes are taken back by the vinegar-dill like combination as overpowering. As a tiny octopus I was not a fan. Stood out too much on a burger. Now I’m a fan and I feel it can add to a bite. Or even a spicy chicken sandwich, a bite with a good pickle can be a real treat.

• Like 2

I have an aversion to warm pickles. I prefer them cold, dill, and garlick-y. Pickles on a burger never did it for me, nor raw onion; it took me years to get around to eating cooked onions even. Then again I ate like a five year old until I was in my 20s so that's no surprise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

It'd be nice to know is all that I'm saying.

On 9/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, Matt D said:

After a hot tag, should it be "house afire" or "house on fire"?

Depends on the situation. You use “afire” if you say theater as “theatre” or in autumn wear an ascot at least three times per week. Otherwise, “on fire” is the way to go.

On 9/5/2023 at 11:05 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I always thought it was house of fire. 

I can tell you don’t own a monocle.

On 9/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I have an aversion to warm pickles. I prefer them cold, dill, and garlick-y. Pickles on a burger never did it for me, nor raw onion; it took me years to get around to eating cooked onions even. Then again I ate like a five year old until I was in my 20s so that's no surprise. 

pickles and most pickle-esque toppings/condiments should be cold. I’m a quick eater though. If it gets warmed, it can be saved by the flavor. Popeyes (at least the ones near me) have good pickles on their spicy chicken sandwich. Dave’s Hot Chicken (one opened up a few months ago near me, dear lord it’s good) has good pickles with their sandwiches.

I have a buddy (with life only see maybe one or so a year) that was a super picky eater. He also can’t do onions. 

I’m struggling to think of what my No’s on food is. In terms of broad categories or ingredients. I’m not a fan of White Castle. Weird smell.

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

I don't like pickles at all. Always get no pickles on a burger. Don't mind onion on a burger/kebab or onion gravy. That's it.

Onion gravy? I shall investigate!!!!

I love me some burgers. I like a pickle or onion but I don’t go out of my way for them on a burger. If it’s there or I can get it loaded with a bunch of stuff, I enjoy it.

what is Paul’s (and everyone else’s) favorite food?

6 hours ago, Log said:

If we ever find ourselves eating out together, can I please have your pickles?

“I’ll have a pickle with a side of pickles”

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yup, unless you have an ascot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

Depends on the situation. You use “afire” if you say theater as “theatre” or in autumn wear an ascot at least three times per week. Otherwise, “on fire” is the way to go.

I can tell you don’t own a monocle.

pickles and most pickle-esque toppings/condiments should be cold. I’m a quick eater though. If it gets warmed, it can be saved by the flavor. Popeyes (at least the ones near me) have good pickles on their spicy chicken sandwich. Dave’s Hot Chicken (one opened up a few months ago near me, dear lord it’s good) has good pickles with their sandwiches.

I have a buddy (with life only see maybe one or so a year) that was a super picky eater. He also can’t do onions. 

I’m struggling to think of what my No’s on food is. In terms of broad categories or ingredients. I’m not a fan of White Castle. Weird smell.

Onion gravy? I shall investigate!!!!

I love me some burgers. I like a pickle or onion but I don’t go out of my way for them on a burger. If it’s there or I can get it loaded with a bunch of stuff, I enjoy it.

what is Paul’s (and everyone else’s) favorite food?

“I’ll have a pickle with a side of pickles”

Yup, unless you have an ascot.

Who am I, Mr. Peanut?