DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

On 12/7/2023 at 6:39 PM, RIPPA said:

The Day Before has hit Early Access on Steam and reportedly it is the big steaming pile you expected it to be

In what is probably a fitting twist for this game

Fntastic - the studio behind The Day Before fiasco - announced that is has closed due to The Day Before being a financial failure (their words)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Some other stuff that was announced

Visions of Mana

Let's see if I continue my streak of starting but never finishing a Mana game

------------------------

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

I am still not ready to play the first one so who knows when I will get to this

I'll have to see who's doing the soundtrack for Visions of Mana. Some things you just shouldn't mess with.

Senua's Saga... man, I bought the first one to support the studio, but I don't know that I'll ever be mentally healthy enough to play it., much less another one.

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Fntastic - the studio behind The Day Before fiasco - announced that is has closed due to The Day Before being a financial failure (their words)

What the fuck was this lol

https://www.ign.com/videos/the-day-before-first-22-minutes-of-gameplay

Not that IGN’s reviews mean fuck all, but they hated that game so much they gave it a 1 out of 10. 

Someone refresh my memory: Is The Day Before the game that was making some waves a little bit ago for how good it looked, but when people dug deeper, they started suspecting it was bullshit and possibly vaporware?

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Someone refresh my memory: Is The Day Before the game that was making some waves a little bit ago for how good it looked, but when people dug deeper, they started suspecting it was bullshit and possibly vaporware?

Basically

The last (and newest) bit was that it had been promoted as a survival MMO (with zombies) but when the game dropped - it was an extraction shooter

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The day before (lol) they announced this, their studio name was changed on Steam to Eight Points. But it’s only on one game for now.

On 12/14/2023 at 6:58 PM, RIPPA said:

Naughty Dog has officially cancelled The Last of Us Online (they had announced the game had been delayed in May)

Honestly, Naughty Dog could have passed development to a different studio and let them finish up instead of cancelling it. The way the announcement described it made it seem like it would be a decade long commitment. But oh well. I'm hoping we'll see The Last of Us Part III next year or the new IP they've been working on next year.

Looks like that Insomniac hack went deeper than a lot of people realized. Their internal schedule of games was leaked today from the same packet that also leaked devs passports and personal info (which is hella shitty), and they’re now basically a Marvel studio.

Fall 2025: Venom

Fall 2026: Wolverine

Fall 2028: Spider-Man 3

Fall 2029: Ratchet & Clank

Fall 2030: X-Men

2031/32 will see a new IP, lol.

The full plot of Wolverine, its cast and gameplay have leaked too.

(and if you’re wondering why they’re pivoting to being a Marvel studio - internal docs show that Ratchet & Clank didn’t turn a profit. The new game in 2029 is probably their send-off, seemingly a sequel to A Crack in Time)

Edited by Casey

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Looks like that Insomniac hack went deeper than a lot of people realized. Their internal schedule of games was leaked today from the same packet that also leaked devs passports and personal info (which is hella shitty), and they’re now basically a Marvel studio.

Fall 2025: Venom

Fall 2026: Wolverine

Fall 2028: Spider-Man 3

Fall 2029: Ratchet & Clank

Fall 2030: X-Men

2031/32 will see a new IP, lol.

The full plot of Wolverine, its cast and gameplay have leaked too.

(and if you’re wondering why they’re pivoting to being a Marvel studio - internal docs show that Ratchet & Clank didn’t turn a profit. The new game in 2029 is probably their send-off, seemingly a sequel to A Crack in Time)

I wonder if Venom will be a standalone game a la Spider-Man Miles Morales or Uncharted: Lost Legacy or if it'll be expansion pass DLC for Spider-Man 2.

Sucks that Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart didn't sell even though it's a visual showcase for the PS5. Not everything on every system has to break even or have a profit. At least Sony is putting out games vs what Microsoft is doing where they say a game is coming but who knows if it's actually going to be out.

By the time 2030 rolls around, I'll be 49 (!). I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

• Like 1

Also of note from the leak - apparently all the X-Men games are Sony exclusives (PC too but we also know the track record of the games actually getting onto PC)

Also apparently in the agreement between Sony and Marvel - if any game doesn't sell at least 6 million units in the first year (PS5 and PC) either side can terminate the agreement (so basically if one of them bombs, the deal is gonna be off)

You’re burying the lead on that one. If Marvel terminates, it’s all roses. If Insomniac/Sony does, they pay $9m to Marvel. 😂

From that same slide: Console bundles nets Marvel 35% to 50% of the net sales. Physical (and DLC) games gets Marvel 19-26% and digital gets them 9-18%. Jeeeeeesus.

UI concepts and artwork for a live service multiplayer Spider-Man leaked (The Great Web) and honestly it looks kinda dope. But it’s probably cancelled. Looks like they had several seasons mapped out with rotating teams covering each season. It was “planned” for a 2026 release with support at least continuing until 2030. 

Also: they made $567 profit from Sunset Overdrive. YIKES.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 9:15 PM, Casey said:

That's not what the docs showed, and I thought the same thing you did at first. The doc you're referring to showed an internal projection. As it turned out, when a list of Sony's first-party game sales dropped, R&C: RA was at almost 4M copies sold to customers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/18magu9/sales_numbers_for_a_ton_of_sony_games_including/?rdt=53665

IDK why Insomniac's bean counters made a projection that would indicate that R&C: RA was unlikely to turn a profit, but there is zero chance that it hasn't turned a pretty sizeable one at this point with those numbers. 

EDIT: The doc also showed that Rift Apart was "cheap" to develop (~80M in funding), so really Insomniac should probably make a new R&C sooner than 2029 considering the cost-to-earnings ratio. I love that they're making Spider-Man games, but this Marvel stuff is way costlier and riskier than just doing more R&C.

Edited by SirSmUgly

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic