DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The motel manager in The Florida Project. That guy was gonna snap eventually.

My new head canon is that the character in The Florida Project is a descendant of the character in The Grand Budapest Hotel, trying to make up for his (grandfather's?) past mistakes.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 1

Watched "The Iron Claw" last night ... overall, it was great.

Spoiler

That being said, I did find it odd that Kerry was presented as the shortest of the bunch. He looked about 5'7" in group shots. From my fuzzy memories, Kerry and Kevin were about the same height.

The whole VE story feels like it would work well as a multi-part series for a streamer. I enjoyed the movie a great deal, but it also felt like the Cliffs Notes version of the story.

I didn't have an issue with Fritz being presented as a Great Santini/King Lear type, but I was waiting to see how the movie would show off his questionable business tactics, from the fake heart attacks to the whole Lance Von Erich saga, and that didn't happen. (MJF was fine in his cameo, but it also made little sense. You can present that scene as how far Kevin has fallen in his father's eyes, being booked to be ignored by his own tag partner, but we also have no clue who this tag partner is and why he's an important cog in the story. I noticed in the end credits that MJF was credited simply as "Lance" -- if you have no clue who MJF is, you'd think the character was an employee at Kevin and Pam's wedding reception).

Agree with the peanut gallery that "Ric Flair" wasn't good. Did like the looks of some of the other wrestlers, including the ones playing Race and Brody. I did laugh at the scene of Buddy Roberts wearing the boxing headgear. I recall watching the angle on ESPN's "Legends of World Class" show that led to this (think Kurt Angle vs. Edge) so it was cool that the director added this odd piece of trivia to the film. (Also recognized "Thrillbilly" Silas Mason as Terry Gordy).

I was probably the one guy in the theater who stayed for the end credits to recognize names of wrestlers. Saw that Ross and Marshall VE were involved in some of the in-ring scenes and Luke Hawx was one of the stunt coordinators.

I should not have asked the cinema staff to allow me to cut onions during the scene where Kerry reunited with his brothers and met Jack Jr. for the first time. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is the Bill Nighy subplot the only good one in Love Actually? Maybe Martin Freeman’s is a distant second? A lot of serious incel stuff in this movie between the sign guy and the guy who flys to America because he can’t get laid. Natalie is like the hottest person in the movie, what is this “fat” stuff? How did we let this achieve the status of Christmas classic? What worse movies are in such heavy circulation at this time of year? And it seems to get worse every year? 

Welcome aboard the "Love Actually is a garbage movie" team, I'm Stefanie, your group leader. We have brunch at 10:30! We'll be discussing, uh, everything you said in increasingly exasperated tones. Please don't overturn the table or we'll have to put down a deposit.

• Like 2

As for Love Actually, I never think of it as a Christmas movie. It’s a really fucking weird and depressing movie that I’ve seen too many times, but also haven’t watched in at least 10 years or more.

The more everyone starts tugging at the different threads of The Iron Claw the more I'm starting to dislike it. I felt like it sugar-coated Fritz and the whole scene initially and now I'm getting a worse feeling about that. Especially after telling a friend to watch the Heroes of World Class doc, watching the beginning, and watching Kevin calmly describe how his granddad was a "frontier justice" sheriff that would hang and whip people* and literally "fight" his son out like a prized rooster against other children. 

* My own grandfather, who I never knew (heart attack after I was born), was ALSO one of those sheriffs, who my uncle claimed at my grandmother's funeral to tie people to trees and whip them. He was finally fed a steady diet of Valium and whatever the fuck else towards the end of his life. 

The “durr the McCallister’s were rich” or “durr what did Peter McCallister do to be so rich” Home Alone takes have been strong this year. I just want to scream “John Hughes only wrote about rich yuppies because that’s what he was!” Every protagonists family with the exception of the Griswold’s in the first two Vacation movies were ultra rich and living in the 80’s versions of McMansions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The “durr the McCallister’s were rich” or “durr what did Peter McCallister do to be so rich” Home Alone takes have been strong this year. I just want to scream “John Hughes only wrote about rich yuppies because that’s what he was!” Every protagonists family with the exception of the Griswold’s in the first two Vacation movies were ultra rich and living in the 80’s versions of McMansions. 

Its not like Clark Griswold was poot; Buying a new car, and have the option to fly to the coast but drive instead? He was able to give $500 to Eddie and not blink an eye, and that was a lot of $$$ in 1981 $. Not that it isn't now, but closer to $1500 today.

24 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I kind of feel this way about doing a reread (relisten) to Victorian/Edwardian genre fiction, be it Doyle, Christie, Wells. Almost always about rich/landed posh types.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was pondering what are the craziest characters that Willem Dafoe ever played earlier. My short list is 

1. Bobby Peru (Wild At Heart)

2. The Lighthouse Keeper (The Lighthouse)

3. Count Orlok (Shadow of the Vampire)

There's got to be a top five but I'm struggling.

The main bad in To Live and Die in L.A.

• Thanks 1

*slaps forehead* Why did I not think about that?! I even rewatched it recently due to Friedkin's passing. He was brilliant in that role. And think about it, he was:

1. A counterfeiter

2. An art collector/artist

3. A nymphomaniac

4. A pyromaniac

5. A murderer

How sick is THAT?!

EDIT: Oh, and he was a gym enthusiast too 😛 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I finally broke and went to his Wiki filmography. We've got

Auto Focus (John Carpenter, the dude who engaged in Bob Crane's pervosity. This is a great role and a good choice if you bend "villains" to include nuts, weirdos, etc. He went on trial for Crane's murder and was acquitted too, so...)

Streets of Fire (the big bad, haven't seen all of it)

Once Upon A Time In Mexico (Mexican drug lord. Been too long, don't remember anything except Johnny Depp's fake arm)

Antichrist (haven't seen it; YOU tell me if he's the villain or not, depending on your interpretation)

John Carter (a Martian baddy)

Nymphomaniac (some kind of gangster I think)

These are just the ones I looked into specifically, wasn't about to go through all of his films. Got some choices here for sure.

6 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Welcome aboard the "Love Actually is a garbage movie" team, I'm Stefanie, your group leader. We have brunch at 10:30! We'll be discussing, uh, everything you said in increasingly exasperated tones. Please don't overturn the table or we'll have to put down a deposit.

And I haven’t even mentioned all the weird and inappropriate workplace conduct or the Colin Firth storyline or what sign guy’s plan was if the husband answered the door!

• Like 2