DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 11/28/2023 at 7:23 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Between this, Bosch, and Jack Ryan, Prime really has the market cornered for straight down the middle shows targeting dudes of a certain age. 

7 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Slow Horses season 3 just started and to the surprise of non one it's great! So grateful it's on AppleTV+ and not any of the other streamers who'd find a reason to cancel it. With this show and The Gold, I can see why Jack Lowden is 6 to 1 odds on being the next Bond.

I was wrong about Prime having the market cornered on these shows, this does in fact still rule. 

If a Yao Guai eating a dude in Power Armor or a perfect looking Mr. Handy can’t rope you in, then I’m not sure what will. I’m curious about the setting. I saw some people say it’s set in the area from Fallout 1, but the shots of Goggins makes it look like he’s in Megaton.

I don’t think it’s any particular Fallout game (they’re definitely not adapting a story) but it’ll probably have elements from all four games mixed in. I really don’t think they’ll have iconic Fallout locations like Megaton or anything (I’m more than happy to be wrong, though).

Glad to see the Brotherhood are still fascist as fuck. “Please Remain Calm” under the turret, fucking lol.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I don’t think it’s any particular Fallout game (they’re definitely not adapting a story) but it’ll probably have elements from all four games mixed in. I really don’t think they’ll have iconic Fallout locations like Megaton or anything (I’m more than happy to be wrong, though).

Glad to see the Brotherhood are still fascist as fuck. “Please Remain Calm” under the turret, fucking lol.

Yeah, I read up more on it and saw it takes place in post-apocalyptic California, SoCal to be more precise about it I guess. It's all cannon and it takes place 200 years into the Fallout universe, putting it at the same time as Fallout 4.

I'm so excited for people who know nothing about the games, like Curt, to see what this shit is all about. 

Time period and location make me extremely excited about this, since New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game.

Spoiler

Leaked set photos show NCR props and flags and whatnot so they’re definitely doing that, which would be stupid not to, I guess, if the show is indeed canon.

Also interesting that the Brotherhood of Steel is shown, since if I remember right they don’t have a huge foothold in California according to the games around this time.

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

If a Yao Guai eating a dude in Power Armor or a perfect looking Mr. Handy can’t rope you in, then I’m not sure what will. I’m curious about the setting. I saw some people say it’s set in the area from Fallout 1, but the shots of Goggins makes it look like he’s in Megaton.

Despite the focus on the vault dweller Goggins's ghoul and the Brotherhood scribe are supposed to be sharing the protag role with their own separate stories that eventually see all 3 come together. With Goggins I'm thinking we see more than California since they will presumably going through his history, and he is a pre-war ghoul. 

20 hours ago, Casey said:

I think we see at least a couple of known locations. I'm more curious if we see any New Vegas characters. I'd love to see Danny Trejo as Raul show up.

I don't think the turret scene was Brotherhood related.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Time period and location make me extremely excited about this, since New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game.

Reveal hidden contents

Leaked set photos show NCR props and flags and whatnot so they’re definitely doing that, which would be stupid not to, I guess, if the show is indeed canon.

Also interesting that the Brotherhood of Steel is shown, since if I remember right they don’t have a huge foothold in California according to the games around this time.

They were spread out in various bunkers back in New Vegas with the war against the NCR still being a thing. Want to say there were implications that Maxson's rise between between 3 & 4 saw the California's chapters see a bit of recovery as well.

Given that they’re sticking to cannon, you’d think the NCR would have some kind of presence in the show. Maybe no all out war with the Brotherhood this season, kinda like how GoT saved their first big battle for the second season.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Given that they’re sticking to cannon, you’d think the NCR would have some kind of presence in the show. Maybe no all out war with the Brotherhood this season, kinda like how GoT saved their first big battle for the second season.

They will have a presence based off of old set photo leaks. I think it will just mostly be background given the lack of them in the trailer. I don't think we see anything more than skirmishes between NCR and the Brotherhood, and that is assuming they are still at war. Given how far the NCR is spread I wouldn't be shocked if they are busy dealing with other groups in other states or maybe even still dealing with the Legion in Nevada.

It feels slightly weird that this could end up the first real update of what post FNV West Coast looks like. I figured when the show was originally announced they would stick to East Coast. Bethesda seemed nervous about messing with West Coast.

I like the look of things from the trailer. I just hope we get some truly weird and strange shit on occasion as well.

Edited by Eivion

On 12/2/2023 at 3:07 PM, Craig H said:

Oh my god. I can only get so erect.

I guess they listened to the fans of the game that hate the "War never changes" tagline and left it out of the trailer.

15 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I guess they listened to the fans of the game that hate the "War never changes" tagline and left it out of the trailer.

Who hates that line? I always see people loving it. I'll be slightly surprised if we don't get some kind of Ron Perlman narration with that line to start the series off. 

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Who hates that line? I always see people loving it. I'll be slightly surprised if we don't get some kind of Ron Perlman narration with that line to start the series off. 

The people that hate the tagline are idiots.  I hate the trailer because it's not there.

• Like 1

New Aqua Teens has already ripped on A Quiet Place's dumb ass, Starbucks hipsters, the writer's strike issue, and AI's connection to it/AI itself. The first two I can see but the last two were unexpected. It's not quite the series that is particularly socially conscious. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 10:30 AM, Mister TV said:

Slow Horses season 3 just started and to the surprise of non one it's great! So grateful it's on AppleTV+ and not any of the other streamers who'd find a reason to cancel it. With this show and The Gold, I can see why Jack Lowden is 6 to 1 odds on being the next Bond.

Fargo season 5 also just started and it's been good so far, really interested to see where it goes, tons of easter eggs from the original film.

I finally got around to starting Slow Horses. Loved the first season. Will hopefully start 2 soon and catch up in time to watch 3 as it's released.

And, yes, Fargo has also been awesome so far. Can't wait for episode 4 after the way 3 ended.

Yeeeeessssss! Fionna and Cake renewed for season 2. Despite it being the #1 series on Max for weeks, I still figured they wouldn’t put any more money into it and it would be one and done. Super happy to be getting more and curious to see where they go because as good as Distant Lands was as an epilogue to Adventure Time, I thought Fionna and Cake was just slightly better. Plus, all of the major stories and themes from AT were wrapped up.

• Like 1

3 Body Problem

Based on the acclaimed book by Liu Cixin.

Coming to Netflix in 2024.

The Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy is one of my favorite sci-fi collections.  If done right, this could be monumental.

Don't fuck this up, Netflix.

Edited by J.T.