DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If you figure out a way to make a league, I'm 100% in

I knew there was a lot that went into fantasy football.  But looking at the basic details it would be insanity to fully translate all that entails at least on the points side of things.  Might need some help with some of it but hoping it's slow tomorrow so I can give it a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I knew there was a lot that went into fantasy football.  But looking at the basic details it would be insanity to fully translate all that entails at least on the points side of things.  Might need some help with some of it but hoping it's slow tomorrow so I can give it a go.

Yeah, I was trying to think of that exact thing before! Can't do w/l record because its a work - why wouldn't you just take a Roman or someone like that? Then I got to thinking, what about using Dave's star ratings? But that presents a problem too, because why wouldn't you take an Omega or an Okada or someone super suited to his specific tastes. I think what would make the most sense is a star rating average from (let's say) 4-5 different reviewers, but that gets overcomplicated (plus, it's not like a football Sunday with live stat tracker - you'd have to wait for reviews to come out).  I'm going to keep brainstorming though! I think we may have something here.

• Like 1

He had a fantasy Wrestling league in here for a while, Yo-Yo ran it. Someone won by miles because he made Mark Henry his captain, and Henry won the World title and kept getting End Music.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Two guys I'd like to see end up in AEW at some point; Tony Deppen and Mike Bailey. I know Deppen has wrestled a bunch on Dark, but I think those are two guys that are worthy of main roster spots in one of the big two companies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Two guys I'd like to see end up in AEW at some point; Tony Deppen and Mike Bailey. I know Deppen has wrestled a bunch on Dark, but I think those are two guys that are worthy of main roster spots in one of the big two companies.

Deppen was a part of ROH pre-Khan so it'd be great to see him in the fold over there (or AEW too, that'd be fine)

4 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Bailey is beholden to Impact because they were nice enough to sponsor his work visa after he got banned from the US a few years ago

The guy could have pulled a Teddy Hart and worked Canadian shindies for 5 years, but instead he took the initiative and worked all over the world to get better. He's still young enough where he'll have opportunities with larger companies in the future

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah, I was trying to think of that exact thing before! Can't do w/l record because its a work - why wouldn't you just take a Roman or someone like that? Then I got to thinking, what about using Dave's star ratings? But that presents a problem too, because why wouldn't you take an Omega or an Okada or someone super suited to his specific tastes. I think what would make the most sense is a star rating average from (let's say) 4-5 different reviewers, but that gets overcomplicated (plus, it's not like a football Sunday with live stat tracker - you'd have to wait for reviews to come out).  I'm going to keep brainstorming though! I think we may have something here.

Weighted system. A Roman win would be one point cause he wins all the time but conversely a serpentico win would be ten points cause they are so rare

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Weighted system. A Roman win would be one point cause he wins all the time but conversely a serpentico win would be ten points cause they are so rare

Reminds me of when LLPW ran a tag tournament years ago with rookies and veterans teaming up. The points system was (I think) 1 point if a vet beat a rookie, 3 points if rookies beat rookies/vets beat vets, and 5 points if a rookie beat a vet. So it was a big story when tiny Miho Watabe pinned Eagle Sawai during the tourney.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

I think the story was they wanted him to be in the Ethan Page role in the most recent Ricky Starks push and he didn't want to do it

Fightful's story is that AEW creative has nothing for him. This is the first I've heard of this rumor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Fightful's story is that AEW creative has nothing for him. This is the first I've heard of this rumor.

But before we get into that, here’s what Meltzer wrote in the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

Fightful reported that Miro was healthy and not doing acting and was not being used because there was no creative idea for him. The first part is accurate. The second part is very much not. He isn’t injured and he is available. Ideas were presented for him in September for an angle that would go through Full Gear but he wasn’t down with them, so rather than put him on TV for no purpose, they were waiting for him to agree to creative. He’s expected back soon and the sides have been talking.

Dave was a little more blunt on the Observer’s F4WOnline message board. There Meltzer said the plans pitched to Miro were “better than what Ethan Page got” (which was a winning streak so Ricky Starks’ wins over him in the World Title Eliminator Tournament final and Dynamite Diamond Battle Royal would theoretically be more meaningful). Dave claimed it wasn’t a case of Page being given the exact storyline Miro turned down, “but the difference is Ethan Page was seemingly onboard with being the guy who wins a bunch, talks a bunch, and sets up the guy getting the title shot in the end. And that’s why he was all over TV.”

From this Cageside Seats article.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/2022/12/9/23501764/miro-turned-down-aew-creative-plans-competing-rumors

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 3:32 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

barring "in-ring" credentials, you could tie points to ratings. still not a perfect system (especially for the ladies who are in the death slot each show) but another angle to come at it from.

• Like 1

The rotating in-and-out is great for the workers' health, and I know a lot of TK's more unconventional booking could be chalked up to a necessity for 'audience re-training' after 20+ years of what was functionally a monopoly, but Miro needs to be on TV - early, and often.

Long term planning is wonderful -- and there's certainly a valid criticism to be made of much of AEW's competition for never having those types of plans in place anymore-- but in this TV contract year, where we've had more than a couple very noticable, very apparent swings-and-misses with regard to adjusting creative due to injuries (and possibly untreated personality disorders...) AND with a massive building booked for Revolution in March, I really, really think it would behoove AEW to turn every TV between now and then into an all-hands situation. 

This was a kick ass episode, and I have very, very little to complain about, but for me, now seems like the time to be throwing out cards with nothing but names, names, names.

Don't get me wrong: Gunn Club is over as fuck in my house, and I 110% understand the value in planning for the more distant future, but if I'm Coach TK and I'm trying to max out every single quarter hour to the Nth degree in the service of expanded TV revenue,  I'm going with no one but the pillars, and semi-already proven commodities for the next three months.

• Like 3

The problem with Miro is that he seems to be the guide they want to build up to feed to somebody, but that also doesn't seem to be what he wants to do.

Now as much as I'd rather he had been the guy to beat Hangman, I can't really justify putting the belt on somebody unwilling to put guys over.

And I can't really think of anything else for him to do to be quite honest.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

The problem with Miro is that he seems to be the guide they want to build up to feed to somebody, but that also doesn't seem to be what he wants to do.

Now as much as I'd rather he had been the guy to beat Hangman, I can't really justify putting the belt on somebody unwilling to put guys over.

And I can't really think of anything else for him to do to be quite honest.

That's a great point, and I really should've addressed that too in my OP: the definite caveat to what I wrote is if Miro (or anyone else) is just 'Doesn't work for me, brother'-ing anything and everything they present him with.

Equally important to loading these cards up is sending the personnel message that malcontentious behavior isn't going to be a valid path to success (which creates its own subsets, in a way; some workers may define success as simply being featured, some may not be satisfied until they have the WHT put on them in a PPV main event, and I'm sure some of the younger cats are just happy for the Dark match  - that's what talent relations is for, I guess). 

Makes me think back to Mick Foley's first book, when he was describing his dealings with Jim Ross in '95-'96 -- I'm paraphrasing, but he wrote something like JR said "It's a good, but not great spot, but there's room to turn it into more." 

Entirely possible an Andrade or a Miro hears something similar, and says 'No thank you, I'm gonna make the 203 call in July.' Which is fine with me - I'll of course miss watching their work, the same way I did before they made the jump, but I'd rather have them happy and productive with WWE, than bringing any sort of on or off screen dissonance during, again, what I strongly believe to be a super- crucial period for AEW

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I'd be fine if they booked him like Andre (monster who when he shows up you know shits-a-popin!) and not as a monster who only exists to get feed to people (they already have Archer for that)

That's a wonderful comparison. I'd love to see Miro in the Andre role against someone like Wardlow or Hobbs doing their best Hogan. Or to piggyback off your post, I'd make him more of an 'Undertaker' as compared to Archer's 'Kane' (not necessarily in terms of on-screen inter-wovenness, but more in terms of hierarchy/power level).

• Like 2

Tbh I was pretty much thinking that Miro desperately needs a Teddy Long.

"It's a good, but not great spot, but there's room to turn it into more."

IIRC, I think Foley asked Jim Ross what he had told PJ Polaco (Aldo Montoya/Justin Credible) when they offered him a deal, and that was the answer.

Edited by SprintingFromAmerica
Tried putting in manual quote tags like a boomer
  • Thanks 1