DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I doubt it will happen given the lack of success of both of them but just one year I want West Virginia to do a back to back with Houston and Arizona just to deal with the mind fuck of Mountaineer fans facing Dana Holgersen & Rich Rodriquez back to back.  It is like the football version of Ghosts of a Christmas past  

EDIT:  Never mind Rich Rod was already fired from Arizona a while ago.  

Rich Rod does have Jacksonville State heading towards FBS status I believe.

Wild that Stanford is left in the wind. It’s one of the best 10 universities in the world. They are powerhouses in every sport but football and men’s basketball. They’re in the Bay Area.

They seem like they should have been the first domino to go somewhere?

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Wild that Stanford is left in the wind. It’s one of the best 10 universities in the world. They are powerhouses in every sport but football and men’s basketball. They’re in the Bay Area.

They seem like they should have been the first domino to go somewhere?

All the money is in football

(The rumor going round is Fox basically said "we'll give you more money for Oregon and Washington to pay them the partial share, but we don't want Stanford and Cal." So that's why it quickly went from "maybe all four" to just the pnw schools.)

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Clearly the Big 10 didn't feel THAT bad about killing the Pac 12

Well you could say Colorado killed the Pac 12 by joining.

They coulda had the Texas 4-pack, but they only wanted 3 of them since they'd already brought in the Buffs so the deal fell apart and they had to settle for Utah.

And now of course Colorado is jumping right back to the Big 12. Pretty impactful for a program that hasn't been worth a shit since Rashaan Salaam was playing...

At this point, I wish we could just jump ahead to the 32-team super league that’s coming in the next 20 years anyway and spare fans of smaller programs the slow agony of being gradually left behind.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Well you could say Colorado killed the Pac 12 by joining.

They coulda had the Texas 4-pack, but they only wanted 3 of them since they'd already brought in the Buffs so the deal fell apart and they had to settle for Utah.

And now of course Colorado is jumping right back to the Big 12. Pretty impactful for a program that hasn't been worth a shit since Rashaan Salaam was playing...

Supposedly the LHN was a no go for a PAC-12 move, in part because it was an ESPN property. Plus I don’t know that they really wanted Tech and especially not Baylor, but definitely wanted OU.

13 hours ago, EVA said:

Y’all quit.

Obviously this is absurd, even more geography breaking absurd than what the Big Ten and XII are doing (the ACC doesn't even have a school in the central timezone!)

But... If they are going to do it, I honestly think it would make more sense to go after all four. At least then you can have a little West Coast pod and have those four schools all play each other every year and cut down a road trip or two to the east.

(The real eventual obvious solution is to build football only conferences and let all the other sports stay regional, but we aren't there yet I guess.)

Also, on the people who designed that new Big Ten schedule and model that got so widely praised just, what, two months ago, are also kinda low-key screwed by this. The "play at every conference campus at least once every four years" model is probably no longer possible, they have to redo the 2024 schedule with way less time to get it done, etc etc.

In other horrible college football related news, the horrific Jalen Kitna case is over. He struck a deal to plead guilty to two counts of "breach of peace" and the actual CSAM charges were dropped. Six months probation for each count, no jail time.

Edit: he plead no contest, not guilty, so no admission of guilt whatsoever. I have to assume the prosecution's case wasn't very sound if they let him off that easily but I am not a lawyer.

Edited by Brian Fowler

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Which coast is Dallas on?

The ocean of "hey, a foothold in Texas would be nice."

Or maybe the "they reportedly are willing to join a P4 conference for no money for the first few years at least" sea.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Contractually, Notre Dame basically has to give the ACC first right of refusal if they elect to join a conference. Something to think about here.

Stanford joining the ACC would essentially free up a game for ND, no? They could keep that annual rivalry and then only play four other ACC teams so they'd have an extra game to fill, either with a record inflating push over or a big ticket blockbuster each year.

ACC expansion has at least temporarily stalled.

My favorite rumor is that SMU's boosters are so desperate to get them back into a power conference for the first time since the SWC died that they are willing to fund the athletic department fully for "at least five, possibly as many as seven years" with the school thus taking no share from whichever of the conferences will bring them in.

That reminds me - Washington State president Kirk Schulz did an interview with ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38162254/wsu-president-preparing-realignment-moves-bad-spot

Some of the things he said

- Said that no matter where WSU ends up, the University will continue to invest like a Power 5 school and that no sports would be cut. HOWEVER - he said approximately 40% of the athletic revenue is disappearing and the University is already facing a budget cut. He stated raising the student fee is possible (so add that to the list of ways everyone not affiliated with football is getting screwed.)

- He predicted that no matter what - the next two years for athletics "would not be pretty"

- WSU and Oregon State are waiting to see what happens with Stanford and Cal and the ACC. He said if they don't join - the 4 schools would be interested in keeping the PAC-12 alive somehow

- Without using the words directly - he basically implied that George Kliavkoff could go fuck himself. He also noted that a rebooted PAC-12 would also need a new media consultant because the current one doesn't have experience "in the college sports scene"

- Said Kliavkoff was blindsided by UCLA and USC leaving and when that happened other college presidents started looking out for themselves instead of the conference as a whole

- WSU and OSU have been in touch with the Mountain West. The Mountain West very much wants WSU and OSU but is doubtful Stanford and Cal would want to join

On 8/9/2023 at 11:25 PM, Brian Fowler said:

ACC expansion has at least temporarily stalled.

My favorite rumor is that SMU's boosters are so desperate to get them back into a power conference for the first time since the SWC died that they are willing to fund the athletic department fully for "at least five, possibly as many as seven years" with the school thus taking no share from whichever of the conferences will bring them in.

As long as the price of oil stays high, a lot of Texas schools will have big money boosters throwing cash around. I will say that SMU also has some older Texas money boosters who aren't fully OGE leveraged (UT is the same way).

Weeding through all the fact and fiction of the PAC-12's demise is fun but there is a report/rumor (whatever you want to call it) that in the Fall of 2022, ESPN offered the PAC-12 $30 million per school (that would included all media rights including the PAC 12 Network)

The Board got giddy and thought they could get more so they told George Kliavkoff to make a counteroff

Kliavkoff's counter offer to ESPN - $50 million per school

ESPN told them to go fuck themselves

• Like 1