Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 games on Wednesday

3 teams scored 6 or more runs

8 teams scored 0 or 1 run

7 games had both teams combined for 5 or fewer runs

It's not just your teams offense that's struggling

The BallparkPal twitter account will have their daily deadball report for the Wednesday games in 7 hours or so, but on Tuesday it was 31% lower than expected. For the season 24% lower. Take your pick as to why that is.

If anybody really trusted how MLB handles the baseballs, Judge hitting 60+ in a year that the ball is seemingly humidored to death is an accomplishment.

But when it comes to people like Roger Maris' son talking about which HR totals are legitimate or not.. just remember that MLB reacted to Roger Maris hitting 61 by expanding the strikezone and wrecking the fuck out of hitting for a few years. And the whole "legitimate" talk sorta forgets that it's not really that hard to get people to believe something even if it's total bullshit.

On the other hand, maybe MLB is the only league sport where records have been set thanks to PED use. Ha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

On the other hand, maybe MLB is the only league sport where records have been set thanks to PED use. Ha.


MLB is the only sport where this is a problem because MLB is the only sport that treasures it's past more than it's future.  (Steroid use is prevalent, sometimes rampant, in the NFL and NBA and even the NHL and nobody has ever cared).

Dan Marino's 1984 season was unfathomable at the time. It'd still be a great season today but nothing eye-popping.  Contemporary QBs can and do match and surpass his totals, and the best of the best are expected to.  Baseball has a guy have that kind of year and they want to prevent it from ever happening again.  Football has a guy have that kind of year and wants as many guys to replicate it as possible.  Bart Starr is now a Who? Johnny Unitas is now a Who? [Don't make me say it about Joe Montana but you get the pattern].  Even Tom Brady, impossible as it may seem now, will someday become a Who? when the shield needs the new guy to be the best ever.

Baseball still insists it's best ever has been retired for 87 years and dead for 74 and anyone who does better must have cheated so it doesn't count.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully we'll get a scenario where someone chasing 73 or 762 is so villainous that people will embrace the Bonds record as a counter to some player who is somehow worse.

Aaron Rodgers has the NFC record for TD passes in a season and it's the same total that Marino threw for in 1984.

There's some upside to MLB having slightly more shame than the NFL but Sammy Sosa was testifying before Congress years before Congress gave a fuck about concussions in football.

In the scheme of things, dodgy steroid creams might actually be less-bad for your long term health than getting your head bounced off the ground.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I wonder how hard Luis Arraez is going to get booed the next time he's in NY if he wins the AL batting crown and keeps Judge from the Triple Crown that way.

Pictured, Luis Arraez, c. 2023

money-phone.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks to Game 162 start time standardization (15 games on a Wednesday afternoon!), Luis Arraez won't be able to do the Jose Reyes 2011 approach without some help. Also, Judge would need to stay with the Yankees for their fan base to hold it against Arraez. So there's some moving parts there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Normally I would question why that is a story since that stat was promoted when the rule change was put in place, but I realize a) since the season ended, they can have an exact number to cite and b) it was the usually lazy ESPN just rerunning an AP story with no further context.

I will remind everyone that while it will shorten games in the bigs - no one, even the biggest supporters - are expecting it to slice that much time off of big leagues games as in the minors. I wish I could find who broke it down (it was someone like Passan or Rosenthal or I guess maybe Stark) but it was basically

  • The clock will be longer in the bigs than it was in the minors (15 as opposed to 14 with no runners, 20 as opposed to 18 with runners)
  • The breaks between half innings are longer due to TV
  • Umps will most likely, as the season goes along, unintentionally or not, give a little more leeway

General sentiment seemed to be - expect the average length of games to drop to just under 3 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

at least these totals are comparing two minor league seasons, so minor league teams having 7 inning doubleheaders everywhere doesn't impact the 25 minute reduction much, right?

I mean, they did this study as "per 9 innings", right? so that the number of doubleheaders wouldn't tilt the results, right?

Anyways.. we got Judge free agency rankings

The top 5 are..

5) Boston

4) San Francisco

3) The Mets

2) The Dodgers

1) The Yankees

what would cause the world to burn the most out of Judge signing with Boston, San Francisco, the Mets or the Dodgers? Judge signing with the Giants and Barry Bonds showing up at the press conference probably causes Rogerito Maris to renounce his "real record" endorsement?

Edited by Cobra Commander
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Normally I would question why that is a story since that stat was promoted when the rule change was put in place, but I realize a) since the season ended, they can have an exact number to cite and b) it was the usually lazy ESPN just rerunning an AP story with no further context.

I will remind everyone that while it will shorten games in the bigs - no one, even the biggest supporters - are expecting it to slice that much time off of big leagues games as in the minors. I wish I could find who broke it down (it was someone like Passan or Rosenthal or I guess maybe Stark) but it was basically

  • The clock will be longer in the bigs than it was in the minors (15 as opposed to 14 with no runners, 20 as opposed to 18 with runners)
  • The breaks between half innings are longer due to TV
  • Umps will most likely, as the season goes along, unintentionally or not, give a little more leeway

General sentiment seemed to be - expect the average length of games to drop to just under 3 hours.

I certainly wouldn't expect 25 minutes to get chopped off. That seems crazy. Having said that, the pitch clock makes a BIG difference in games, just in terms of flow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the "only two free pick-off attempts" per plate appearance rule isn't getting enough mention. Not just for saving time (probably just be a few minutes) but repeated pick-off throws over and over is incredibly boring to watch and rarely works. Because since they only get two free ones (meaning, if they do a third, they have to be successful or the player gets a free base) means most pitches I think won't even want to do two so that they have one in their pocket. I am curious to see how that works out and if between that and the slightly bigger bases, if more teams attempt steals. You know if a pitcher has tried two attempts the runner at first is going to get a big lead, just daring him to try to pick him off and risk the free base.

I can understand old school fans not liking the rule since the pick-off is part of baseball, and its an interesting way to try to make pitchers do less of them. Next I want them to save time by not having the manager go out to the mound to take out the pitcher, the pitcher can just walk off on his own like every other sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to the Mariners game tonight. Said to my friend when Cal Raleigh came up to pinch hit in the 9th "If he homers, I'll buy one of his jerseys." Now I gotta buy a jersey. The atmosphere there was incredible. People were high fiving total strangers, everyone was yelling, it was tremendous. The drought is over and the Mariners are no longer the most pathetic team in the 4 big professional team sports. That honor now goes to the Sacramento Kings (and in baseball it goes to the Phillies who haven't made the playoffs in 10 years).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, Cal Raleigh's nickname is "Big Dumper". The team with the longest playoff drought of any pro sports team finally made the playoffs on a pinch hit homerun by a dude nicknamed "Big Dumper" on a 3-2 count with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning.

I fucking love baseball.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Went to the Mariners game tonight. Said to my friend when Cal Raleigh came up to pinch hit in the 9th "If he homers, I'll buy one of his jerseys." Now I gotta buy a jersey. The atmosphere there was incredible. People were high fiving total strangers, everyone was yelling, it was tremendous. The drought is over and the Mariners are no longer the most pathetic team in the 4 big professional team sports. That honor now goes to the Sacramento Kings (and in baseball it goes to the Phillies who haven't made the playoffs in 10 years).

It is incredible that the last time the Mariners went to the playoffs, it was a season where they won 116 games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Tabe said:

It is incredible that the last time the Mariners went to the playoffs, it was a season where they won 116 games. 

The last time the Mariners went to the playoffs Julio Rodriguez was still an infant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...