Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

6/15/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!


DEAN
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Just announced:

 

OH HELL YEAH!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Lord Dynamite is LOADED this week. Bucks vs JX ladder match, Britt vs Storm, Page vs Miro Atlantic qualifier, Dax vs Ospreay (!!!), Jericho vs Ortiz hair match, Wardlow vs 20 Plaintiffs.

But that's not what we are here to talk about. We are here to talk about Konosuke Takashita's infatuation with and interest in cinnamon rolls, high end burger chains, and now fish sandwiches. 

I think I have some insight into this! I considered going on about it in the Navel Gazing or Food threads...

But: there is a massive general cultural obsession in Japan with local special foods. It's by no means unique to Japan but I'm willing to argue that it's more advanced, developed, and widespread here than anywhere else in the world.

Kind of like how if you go to Philadelphia you should probably eat a cheesesteak and if you are in Cincinnati you might as well get a plate of Skyline chili...

There is a particular neighbourhood in Osaka where I go to eat kushikatsu with Kuuga and our many mutual friends. People come to Osaka specifically and entirely to eat kushikatsu, okonomiyaki,and takoyaki. I have, more than once,travelled to Nagoya just to eat tebasaki and miso katsu. There are other special foods in Nagoya, but I have not tried them because I am in Nagoya to overconsume my two favourites and eating an eel box or flat noodles in deep brown miso would interfere with that goal.

Any time my wife and I discuss travel plans, the special local food and drink is the primary concern. Sightseeing and so on is to kill time between meals. That is in no way unusual here. It's part of the culture in Japan. A big, important,thoroughly enjoyable part of the culture.

Meibutsu culture

So, of course Takeshita wants to eat all the foods in America that you can't get in Japan. And of course if fish sandwiches are a special local food in Florida,he would like to go to Florida to eat one (or more).

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk. If you'd like to derail this thread by bringing up more examples of special local food from around the world, that would be delightful. 

 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk. If you'd like to derail this thread by bringing up more examples of special local food from around the world, that would be delightful. 

 

Richmond has the sailor sandwich. I will let those who have lived here longer than me (ahem, @DEAN, @J.T.?) describe it, but it is a mammoth-looking sandwich.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't had a Sailor in forever.  That's good eatin'!  I last had one at Cappolla's or McLeans.  I'm assuming that my wife would punch me in the face if I ordered one today, what with my hilarious heart.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I haven't had a Sailor in forever.  That's good eatin'!  I last had one at Cappolla's or McLeans.  I'm assuming that my wife would punch me in the face if I ordered one today, what with my hilarious heart.

Ooh, McLeans is nice. I haven't been to a restaurant since the pandemic started but Perly's was my regular deli spot. The garlic and dill fries were amazing.

... now I want garlic and dill fries.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, Austin is known for oak-smoked brisket and Central Texas style BBQ in general. San Antonio is famous for the puffy taco. Houston has everything but it’s allegedly where beef fajitas were invented. Dallas is where every fast casual chain restaurant started.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Kind of like how if you go to Philadelphia you should probably eat a cheesesteak

I was in Philly for work (my company's HQ is there) and I'd seen an episode of Delicious Destinations where they said forget cheesesteaks...Tony Dinic's roast pork sub at the Reading Terminal Market  is where it's at.  I got one and it was disgusting.  It was probably the "smoked provalone," which is a funny way to spell "cheese that smells like vomit and tastes even worse."  I threw it in the trash, went back to the market, and got a pile of grub from the soul food buffet instead.  Fuck you Andrew Zimmern!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I was in Philly for work (my company's HQ is there) and I'd seen an episode of Delicious Destinations where they said forget cheesesteaks...Tony Dinic's roast pork sub at the Reading Terminal Market  is where it's at.  I got one and it was disgusting.  It was probably the "smoked provalone," which is a funny way to spell "cheese that smells like vomit and tastes even worse."  I threw it in the trash, went back to the market, and got a pile of grub from the soul food buffet instead.  Fuck you Andrew Zimmern!

South Philly Barbacoa is the place I want to go. Saw it on I think Chef's Table BBQ, and the owner/chef just won a James Beard award for best chef in the region. Just a hole in the wall place making perfect barbacoa tacos.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, JLowe said:

South Philly Barbacoa is the place I want to go. Saw it on I think Chef's Table BBQ, and the owner/chef just won a James Beard award for best chef in the region. Just a hole in the wall place making perfect barbacoa tacos.

That sounds awesome.  I'll note that for next time I have to go there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk. If you'd like to derail this thread by bringing up more examples of special local food from around the world, that would be delightful. 

 

If you're ever in the Washington, DC area, you need to get familiar with Half Smokes (smoked sausages that are half beef, half pork) and pupusas (El Salvador's national dish - thick griddled cakes made from conrnmeal and stuffed with cheese and beans/pork/herbs) with spicy fermented slaw.

Edited by Marcel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I was in Philly for work (my company's HQ is there) and I'd seen an episode of Delicious Destinations where they said forget cheesesteaks...Tony Dinic's roast pork sub at the Reading Terminal Market  is where it's at.  I got one and it was disgusting.  It was probably the "smoked provalone," which is a funny way to spell "cheese that smells like vomit and tastes even worse."  I threw it in the trash, went back to the market, and got a pile of grub from the soul food buffet instead.  Fuck you Andrew Zimmern!

I got it from there too based off his recommendation.  I thought it was good but I'll take a cheesesteak any day.  And I tried subs with smoked provalone around here and agree that the cheese isn't for me.

As for traveling to Baltimore (which I know you know of) they're known for crab cakes.  I've been a sucker for Jimmy's Seafood but they were also a mile away from us for five years.  But there's multiple places in and around Baltimore that have a darn good crab cake.  And if you're up for digging for gold then steamed crabs are a must.  Pair it with a Guiness Blonde on a warm day and you're in for a damn good time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I got it from there too based off his recommendation.  I thought it was good but I'll take a cheesesteak any day.  And I tried subs with smoked provalone around here and agree that the cheese isn't for me.

As for traveling to Baltimore (which I know you know of) they're known for crab cakes.  I've been a sucker for Jimmy's Seafood but they were also a mile away from us for five years.  But there's multiple places in and around Baltimore that have a darn good crab cake.  And if you're up for digging for gold then steamed crabs are a must.

What about pit beef?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And while I certainly enjoy Dax Harwood matches as a singles wrestler, and realize this is a traditional way to build to a match at a PPV, it seems like AEW is treading water right now with FTR when it's clear they should be Top Guys in belts as well as in name.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

What about pit beef?

I don't know if I would necessarily associate Baltimore/Maryland with pit beef.  Especially since many states can lay claim to being next level.  But if you're in town then Chap's Pit Beef is the way to go.  Despite the fact that Guy Fieri's been there their stuff is so, so damn good.  Plus at the Baltimore location you can go before or after heading to the Gold Club which is in the same lot.

Oh, right, about Dynamite.  *looks at the card*  Hey, that looks like a good show!

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, JLowe said:

And while I certainly enjoy Dax Harwood matches as a singles wrestler, and realize this is a traditional way to build to a match at a PPV, it seems like AEW is treading water right now with FTR when it's clear they should be Top Guys in belts as well as in name.

This.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...