DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

Good news! I was worried about the "tiered pricing" aspect of having to pay for Filmstruck and then having Criterion as an add-on.  But the combined total is less than a commercial-free Hulu subscription and seems worth it once the libraries are fleshed out. And a yearly subscription works out to about 9.00 for both.

- note though: No Roku channel for now. Bleh.

I guess I shouldn't complain because we use someone else's Hulu password, so I haven't been paying for it anyway. Another streaming service on top of paying for Netflix, the Network, and top tier cable though? Time to have the cord cutting fight with the wife again. 

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

I guess I shouldn't complain because we use someone else's Hulu password, so I haven't been paying for it anyway. Another streaming service on top of paying for Netflix, the Network, and top tier cable though? Time to have the cord cutting fight with the wife again. 

SlingTV is actually really cost effective if you still want to keep some kind of cable element. Blend that with a local channel digital converter box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its scheduled to disappear from HULU on November 11.  I don't think it's triggered by Filmstruck starting, but that's been the fixed date for awhile and now Filmstruck is pushed back to then so they can work out issues apparently with the registration process.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, you have got to be shitting me....

GuillermoDelToro_box_348x490_original.jp

Pan's Labrynth, Cronos, and The Devil's Backbone.

The question of "What do I want for my birthday?" just got really complicated.

That box art screams to be a poster hanging on the wall in my man cave.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

reminder: LW&C box set comes out 11/8.

Exactly.  I was going to ask for cash to put towards an XBone but LWC comes out on the 8th and now I have the GDT triple shot to consider.

I thought that the super fucking awesome cover art for the Pan's / Cronos / Backbone set would push it to the end of my decision tree the top until I saw this.

914jGjEhbJL._SL1500_.jpg

Fuck..

The art work from my favorite Criterions never seems to make to poster form.  Probably a blessing because I would send them all of my money.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh, you have got to be shitting me....

GuillermoDelToro_box_348x490_original.jp

Pan's Labrynth, Cronos, and The Devil's Backbone.

The question of "What do I want for my birthday?" just got really complicated.

That box art screams to be a poster hanging on the wall in my man cave.

I didn't realize they were releasing all 3 together, so I bought Pan's by itself during the website half off sale. 

Shockingly, I've never seen any of those three after following Del Toro's career in print since Cronos came out and Fangoria first talked about him. Should I put this on my Xmas list?

And if your SO wouldn't like something as classy and awesome as that box art on the wall to display for polite company, J.T... well, I don't know what to say...

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 2:12 PM, Cameron Swift said:

There's a secret poster hidden in the spine of the Lone Wolf and Cub set - http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-packaging/lone-wolf-and-cub-blu-ray/the-criterion-collection/1665

That is really cool. I did not notice it when I was initially going through the set. I would not go so far as to call it a poster, however. Might be something I'd throw up on my fridge if it didn't clash with my Sophia Loren pics.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 11:09 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Shockingly, I've never seen any of those three after following Del Toro's career in print since Cronos came out and Fangoria first talked about him. Should I put this on my Xmas list?

And if your SO wouldn't like something as classy and awesome as that box art on the wall to display for polite company, J.T... well, I don't know what to say...

Ha.  When I said it was the bomb it was da bomb! Like in a good way.  I totally want that box art as a poster for my man cave.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Got the lw&c set today. And the added bonus of having a sort of flirty conversation with the cute chick at BN about being a Criterion collector and buying OOPs and such. 

I eBayed the only OOP I had earlier this year (Chungking Express) because I needed the cash. It's sad. I like how much I've grown my collection, but I'm starting to view what I currently have as a quick assett too. Like, I would want to avoid doing it, but if I ever needed like a quick $400 or something.