DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

• 1 month later...

Did anyone get anything grand in the Barnes & Noble sale last month? I'm waiting on "The Brood" and "It Happened One Night."

It caught me at a bad time. I had to stop myself from buying the Cassavettes set and The Apu Trilogy set. Thankfully, I think a lot of those films are on Hulu.

• 1 month later...

I picked it up the other week, not knowing anything about it apart from that it influenced Kill Bill. Only watched the first film so far. Weird to say, but it's got some pretty violence. I always thought the over the top blood spurting thing was Tarantino's creation, but here it is here existing in the 1970s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen it, but it's the UK cut of the film. As per IMDB - "An alternate British version exists that includes scenes deleted in the American version, different title credits, a different opening scene with Widmark and Tierney, and a completely different score composed by Benjamin Frankel. This version runs 101 minutes, 5 minutes longer than the American version."

And from this AV Club review -

Actually, Night And The City’s degree of cynicism depends to a large degree upon which version you watch. Criterion’s new Blu-ray upgrade of the film, which ports over all of the bonus features from their 2005 DVD, also has enough room to add the complete U.K. cut, which runs six minutes longer and features a different beginning and ending—Harry isn’t introduced trying to rob his girlfriend in the British version, and the finale is given a more romantic spin. (Dassin declared the American version closer to his intention.) The two cuts also feature entirely different scores, with the U.S. version composed by Franz Waxman and the U.K. version by Benjamin Frankel. Even if you don’t want to watch both from start to finish, be sure to at least check out the video essay comparing the two, which really drives home the crucial difference that music, or the lack thereof, can make. Waxman’s frantic score is often more effective than Frankel’s subdued cues; on the other hand, Frankel opts to let a major chase sequence near the end unfold without any music at all, and the silence proves more suspenseful than Waxman’s strings. It makes for radically different viewing experiences, even as both the night and the city remain constants.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...