DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

I was talking to her about the Robocop and Silence oops and how i was happy they rereleased Salo, since i was never going to pay that money to get a copy. 

I think i bought two copies of Rebecca when it was goi g oop, so i could sell the, later. 

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Got the lw&c set today. And the added bonus of having a sort of flirty conversation with the cute chick at BN about being a Criterion collector and buying OOPs and such. 

Happy to hear that "Want to come over to my place and check out my Criterions?" may actually work out for you!

Dinner at your place should not include Hamburger Helper.  If your cooking sucks, order from someplace nice.

Top's China is NOT nice..

• Like 4

Which begs the question, "What are some decent date night Criterions?"

Most of my stuff is either horror (House, the GDT trilogy, The Brood, The Innocents, Jigoku, Kwaidan, Scanners, etc), jidaigeki (Lone Wolf & Club, Zatoichi, etc), or "stuff my girlfriend would never watch with me.." (Branded To Kill, Youth of the Beast, Hard Boiled, Repo Man).

I suppose my girlfriend would enjoy Insomnia or Le Samourai since she does enjoy some thrillers and mysteries, but my collection does not have too many titles that don't make me look like a movie snob or a genre geek.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2016 at 0:53 AM, J.T. said:

Which begs the question, "What are some decent date night Criterions?

I missed this originally.

Dont know if these are OOP or not as Criterions:

Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom

Notorious

Some Ozu (his birthday today)

So, have you talked to this girl again or not?

What are you making her for dinner?  Given the increasingly crappy weather, might I suggest going with a hearty gumbo or dinner stew and some nice bread or rolls rather than the traditional meat veg starch route?  Something you guys can enjoy together while watching the movie and having a bit of conversation?

Notorious or any of the Hitchcock joints would probably work as a date Criterion especially something like The 39 Steps or Rebecca (YES~!).

DO NOT FUCKING WATCH SALO WITH HER!

Here is a really really good article about what should and should not go into a beef stew.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Should we have a mod just rename this thread Criterion (or Filmstruck) and Chill? 

I am just trying to help my good friend avoid social pitfalls. 

Under no circumstances should he dive directly into the 1980's Mid-South on the first date.

if he does and she's into it, he should either propose on the spot or be very careful.  My dating of girls with as many geek interest as mine has sometimes been disastrous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am just trying to help my good friend avoid social pitfalls. 

Under no circumstances should he dive directly into the 1980's Mid-South on the first date.

if he does and she's into it, he should either propose on the spot or be very careful.  My dating of girls with as many geek interest as mine has sometimes been disastrous.

If chili wasn't a bad idea for a date, I have a pretty solid crockpot recipe that tastes great and isn't overly extensive.

Also, I think my marriage is partially built on my wife tolerating my interests and then picking some of them up later on. (Sadly, I'm to blame for her TV Binge watching, but she also now likes going to concerts/festivals).

27 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If chili wasn't a bad idea for a date, I have a pretty solid crockpot recipe that tastes great and isn't overly extensive.

Also, I think my marriage is partially built on my wife tolerating my interests and then picking some of them up later on. (Sadly, I'm to blame for her TV Binge watching, but she also now likes going to concerts/festivals).

It's comfort food season, so chili may not be a bad idea. It is something they can both eat while watching the movie.

And I am in the same boat.  My significant other / common law wife (she's more than a girlfriend now) mostly tolerates my geek cred and occasionally feigns interest in them.  There is no way I will get her to go to a comic book convention but I did manage to get her to take me to Medieval Times for my birthday last year.

The trade-off being that there will be times when I will be asked to go to a Madea movie or actively watch Young & The Restless with her and I cannot refuse.

I cannot bring myself to binge watch OWN shows with her though.  That is why we have more than one television in the house.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It's comfort food season, so chili may not be a bad idea. It is something they can both eat while watching the movie.

And I am in the same boat.  My significant other / common law wife (she's more than a girlfriend now) mostly tolerates my geek cred and occasionally feigns interest in them.  There is no way I will get her to go to a comic book convention but I did manage to get her to take me to Medieval Times for my birthday last year.

The trade-off being that there will be times when I will be asked to go to a Madea movie or actively watch Young & The Restless with her and I cannot refuse.

I cannot bring myself to binge watch OWN shows with her though.  That is why we have more than one television in the house.

My wife's main source of geekdom comes from sci-fi/paranormal books and Disney/Animated films. I've definitely expanded her world-view in some ways haha.

• Like 1

All that talk about gumbo made me hungry.  I need to stop by Martin's on the way home and hit their soup bar.

Back on topic... oh, shit...

Ousmane Sembène's Black Girl is scheduled for Criterion release in January just in time for Black History Month and for me to watch it and sit in my Family Room seething with rage.

On 11/28/2016 at 10:53 PM, J.T. said:

Which begs the question, "What are some decent date night Criterions?"

I'm not going to go too far back in this thread, but Punch-Drunk Love just got a Criterion release and the Before trilogy is on its way. Do those count? 

Also, who set the Before trilogy release date for two weeks AFTER Valentine's Day? 

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Ha. I havent even seen her in the store the last couple trips i made to BN. Same old white guys in the video section. 

Damn.  We were all hoping for good things, bro.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...