DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

I'm anxiously awaiting the Barnes and Noble 50% off sale in, what, May, June? Gotta get Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, probably Rififi. Maybe even Sanjuro.

When I purchased The Seven Samurai I was asked which movies I'd like to see be added to The Criterion Collection. My answer: he Stret Fighter

Because we all need a little Sonny Chiba in The Collection

James

• 1 month later...

Certain shit is (relatively) cheap on amazon.  Not sixteen dollar cheap but better than 35 bucks.  Yes I did just pull the trigger on Naked Lunch, Rashomon, Thief and Throne of Blood.

• 2 months later...

BARNES AND NOBLE 50% SALE IS GO. FROM NOW UNTIL THE 28TH

I've actually been putting money back for this. My wife got me Throne of Blood and Rashomon for Father's Day/Anniversary so spots have opened up on my list.

Why does this always happen when I'm saving for other things?

I want to expand my Criterion Collection... um... collection but this month is "All Money Must Be Saved For Vacation!" month

James

Here's what I managed to pop up for under $100:

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Judex

Rififi

Sanjuro

Since this bastard runs all thru the month, may end up going back for more.

• Like 1

Saved up for this one after the flash sale. AND I got an additional 15% off coupon from B&N that was applied to the most expensive item I got. Soooooo my haul was....

ZATOICHI SET: At 65% OFF. I've been wanting this since I saw the set, and it's absolutely a beautiful set.

Night of the Hunter(bluray) It was about time for me to get this.

Antichrist(bluray) Von Trier is probably my favorite director working today, and I've been wanting to revisist this one for a possible piece I'm going to write on him. The special features are nice, and include his reaction to the "journalist" at Cannes who demanded Von Trier explain himself and justify this movie. Von Trier played it pretty well, but dropped a Rorschach Watchmen style line. "You all are my guests here. Not the other way around." 

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her(dvd) Surprisingly this is the first Godard film I've ever bought. I quite enjoy his essay films, maybe more than his straight narrative films though Le Mepris is still my favorite of his. This is one of his best essay films that still remains relevant to today.

I think the movie I wanted that I decided to hold off on was L'Eclisse, which just came out. I love it, but in my head I was thinking that I should switch things up since I just got La Notte last time around. So L'Eclisse is first on my list next time around. With Zatoichi out of the way, I can also look at other smaller sets like that Cassevetes, Wajda, and Rosselini ones. And of course there's all those Eclipse sets. I haven't been disappointed by really any of the movies I've sampled from those sets over time, and would feel good about buying several of them.

• Like 1

About ninety people do the same thing every time they post their new release link on Facebook, so no worries. Intrigued by the Jacques Tati set, though I've never seen one of his films. Also, Criterion is really on a Western tear.

• 5 weeks later...

Intrigued by the Jacques Tati set, though I've never seen one of his films

Mon Oncle is one I'd recommend for the first. Hulot's Holiday comes before that, and has the most sublime pace - that feels like you're just on vacation watching this odd ball. Playtime is probably his most revered. There's some ingenious set pieces in that one as well.

Watching them in order you can see this kind of sad evolution of location from the provencal to the industrial - but Tati still manages to mine wonderment and out of all of it, while still commenting on the dangers of said changes.

I really can't recommend them enough.

I traded my original Criterions to Scott Morse (the comic book artist and pixar animator) years ago for some artwork, iirc.

If you are interested in Tati, also check out the animated film The Illusionist, based on an unused Tati script. It was made by the director of The Triplets of Belleville.