DVDVR Message Board

MGFanJay

When have I ever been wrong? 

Daniel Bryan will bomb as the top face.

CM Punk will be the 2nd biggest star in the company.

CM Punk, and Brock Lesnar will have the best match of the night at Summer Slam, but most of the posters here will pretend that Daniel Bryan, and John Cena had it.

All things that did happened, and all things I predicted.

Brock showed way too much ass. That's why it's utterly stupid and anticlimactic to throw him to UT at WM XXX. If they knew they were building to Brock/UT all along he should've been mowing through everybody not named Cena. Heyman needing to intervene a half dozen times to screw Punk is overbooking.

In the modern "title changes hands multiple times a year" era, Rude would clearly have been a 7 or 8 time world champ.

But would he ever have been "the face of the WWF/E" per se?  Probably not. 

Well, I don't disagree there. I was going for more along the lines of a guy who would've had great title-swapping feuds with Hart, HBK and Austin. I wasn't even thinking about him in the post brand-split  era where whichever title is stranded on Smackdown definitely has significantly less value than the I-C Title when Rude and Savage held it.  At least the prestigious I-C belt was clearly a stepping stone/waiting station for getting bumped up to the big belt. Now you just have two belts; and one is always this weirder lesser World Title where any random guy can win it.

Although I do think between Rude and Hart there was a weird period where that belt was sort of limbo as Perfect and Von Erich were never considered serious guys to take the next step up. Rude did at least headline a Summerslam. And Perfect was still stuck as the opening match for a year and a half at Summerslam after originally winning the I-C Belt. 

I wouldn't say Taker-HHH was perfect but I liked it better than their rematch at WM28. It was a really great WWE style match and had two of the best to ever work that style in it. I would say Austin-Rock is a better example though but I can't argue that ending is anti-climatic, though that match is truly the end of an era.

If Lesnar had beat Cena and maybe skipped the latter stages of the HHH feud, I think Lesnar-Punk and Lesnar-Taker hold more weight to them. Instead the monster has already been defeated, he isn't on some slow rampage.

The big problem with the Triple H feud is that it created two separate narratives.  On one hand, Brock won the feud, injured Hunter on 3 separate occasions, etc etc.  On the other, the dominant narrative of the entire company is "whatever happens at WrestleMania is the most important thing" which is where Hunter got his one win.

Didn't help that the WM29 match had the stupid stipulation of "the guy who just came out of retirement will go back to retirement if he loses". Then after that it just dragged on. They had the very good cage match at Extreme Rules but it was hard to care at that point. If Brock beats Cena, beats HHH, beats someone else at Mania and then had beat Punk at SummerSlam, suddenly Brock versus whomever becomes intriguing for WM30. It becomes who can beat him? Instead the mystique is gone and I just feel bored by Brock-Taker this time around. Hopefully Sting will save us all from that fate.

Vince's reverse Dr. Frankenstein syndrome is well established; i.e. if it's a monster he didn't create the monster needs to eat shit and die at the hands of his noble homegrown sports entertainers. Even if it's something as ridiculous as Vader having to pose as little threat as possible to a puny male stripper......or Goldberg blowing his first shot at the WWE Title because of a clever, clever sledgehammer shot. There are exceptions, of course, like Big Show.

Of course, Brock was originally Vince's monster but he branched out on his own to do some of that real fighting and become a much, much bigger monster than even Vince could ever make him. Now I'm open to the argument that Brock has been massively overpaid no matter how they would've decided to use him. Then again, they probably cared as much about the exposure and rejuvenating the roster with fresh feuds and fresh marquee match-ups as sheer buyrates. In that way, I guess he was worth it. 

I don't even think that Brock should've remained undefeated up until challenging the Streak or that he should've steamrolled Triple H 3-0 in that trilogy; but he definitely shouldn't have lost their WM match. Also before Ryback reverted into full-on big giant titty baby mode they at least could've had Brock be the first one to really lay waste to him.

I've seen it play out numerous times where Titus tags in and the crowd starts barking well before he barks to them. So there.

So I think we've established he's Rick Steiner.
I always thought Scott's whole Big Poppa Pump routine with the "all my freaks" and his weird relationships with his arm candy was a little forced. Now I get why.

I'll give you the HBK ones, I guess, but the Triple H ones were garbage. Definitely don't agree that the Hunter/UT matches were the very definition of the main event WWE style. At all. It was just power move after power move, then a lot of finishers. No thanks. Undertaker/Edge or Undertaker/Batista are still my favorite "challenge the streak" matches.

I love Punk, but yeah, I didn't really enjoy the 'Mania match all that much. Come to think about it, I didn't really enjoy WrestleMania at all this year...