DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

I had an awesome Father's Day at our new home. Fire up the grill for some nice ribeye, set up the sprinkler system for daughter, shot some hoops, and played a few rounds of cornhole. 

It was a good day.

Since he was born Gangnam Style puts my boy in an almost trance like state. When he first started eating purées and would fight eating we'd put that dumb song on and he stop crying and eat. Turns out we're not alone. Go on YouTube and there's a ton a babies being soothed by Gangnam Style videos.

Now he's 18 months and loving music. The other night we had a dance party to like the Beastie Boys, Daft Punk, and Jimmy Eat World. The song that he really moved to though was OPP by Naughty by Nature. Funny stuff.

• Like 1

The wife bought me a Roku player for my WWE Network enjoyment. The kids and the wife went strawberry picking, to leave me in piece and quiet. Then, they all took me to dinner at Empire Brewing Co. in Syracuse, where I had some excellent food and got a free pint glass.

• Like 1

My 7 and 5 year old had their first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament today. Brought home 5 medals. My 5 year old daughter has that warrior spirit. Up against a much larger and much more experienced boy, she never quit, even with tears streaming down her face in the gold medal match, she kept fighting to the end.

She may have gotten silver in two divisions today, but I see gold in her future. (She made another boy cry twice because of her awesomeness. He cried so hard he had to forfeit another fight)

My 7 year old is pretty undersized for his age group, and the kids he went against were probably not beginners. He got submitted by the bigger, faster kids, but he made them work hard for it.

So proud of my little warriors.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My son has been asked to represent his team in the t-ball All Star game. 

I haven't gotten to watch him play nearly all season because of the show I've been in, but this weekend I get to see where he's at. They're telling me that he can hit it to any spot you point at. Of course this means I'm going to smother him in baseball like a psychopath until he never wants to play the game.

I DON'T WANT.

YOUR LIFE.

• Like 1

My daughter starts kindergarten at the end of this month and given the challenges she's had the past three years, I plan on personally dropping her off at school on the first day, soley for the fact that I know I'm gonna cry because of how proud I am of her progress.

• Like 2

I was a fucking mess on my kid's first day to kindergarten.  If you're anything like me, and I suspect you are, you will be super distracted so just take the day off, man.

Then comes the totally anti-climactic moment when she comes home from school and you're all SO, HONEY~? HOW DID YOUR DAY GO~?

and she's like "It went okay.  When's dinner?"

Kids are so non plussed and handle things much better than we expect them to..  Parents get way more out of control excited about stuff than they do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest registered for her first year of high school yesterday.

Goddammit...

My kid got into the IB program this past Spring and has orientation starting next week and it will last until the beginning of school...  During the sessions, she will register for her first year of Middle School.....

Someone is getting older.  I think it is her mother.

• Like 1

The grey in my beard is telling me that I'm old enough to be on money. The other part that is really getting me is remembering how we all looked at freshmen and sophomore girls when I was in high school. I've never killed a man and worn his skin as a warning to all other who would cross me but I could probably rock that look if need be.

• Like 1

I have decided that axe handles send better messages than shotguns.  You need to kill the alpha male up close and let the little boys see the splatter on your hands and face.

Fear of the unknown will keep them in line.

• Like 1

I have decided that axe handles send better messages than shotguns.  You need to kill the alpha male up close and let the little boys see the splatter on your hands and face.

Fear of the unknown will keep them in line.

You understand me.