DVDVR Message Board

Minor League/Japanese Wackiness

ChesterCopperpot

8 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Same group were also very upset at the Macon Whoopee's promulgation of loose morals and easy carnal relations.

(Cindy and I were driving through Georgia when I warned her she wasn't ready for the Macon hockey team name. The car actually swerved a bit when I finally dropped it on her. :D)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have to go to more Long Island Ducks games:

(Notably that the same Raudy Reed that was suspended for 40 games for a steroid violation.  Apparently, the heckler was saying stuff about Reed's kid, which, you know... heckling a roidhead in a game with probably 500 people in the stands, sure is a choice.)

• 1 month later...

Top of each league gets a free win in the best of seven LCS; where they play the winners of a 3 game series between the second and third placed teams, all at the home of the second place team. This is a system I don't hate because it rewards the winners during the regular season. Home Field Advantage for the Japan Series alternates each year between the two leagues.

Edited by DangerMark

• 2 weeks later...

Umpire Jen Pawol has been selected to ump the Triple A title game this weekend and will ump the Arizona Fall League

At this pace - MLB will have its first female ump in the next couple of seasons

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some Oakland fans are creating an independent league team to replace the As

They will be called the Oakland Ballers or the Oakland B's for short

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38997038/oakland-area-fans-start-ballers-independent-baseball-team

A consortium of dozens of Oakland-area fans, led by a pair of high school friends, banded together to start the Oakland Ballers -- also known as the B's -- who plan to play in the independent Pioneer League starting this summer wearing the same green and gold as the A's.

The team's co-founders, Paul Freedman and Bryan Carmel, told ESPN they've hired former Seattle Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu, who went to high school in nearby Hayward, California, as executive vice president of baseball operations. Former St. Louis outfielder Micah Franklin, a San Francisco native who has coached in the minor leagues, will manage the team.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shin-Soo Choo announced that he will retired after the upcoming KBO season

He is also basically playing the season for free as he signed for one year and then donated his salary to charity

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2023 at 9:53 AM, RIPPA said:

Umpire Jen Pawol has been selected to ump the Triple A title game this weekend and will ump the Arizona Fall League

At this pace - MLB will have its first female ump in the next couple of seasons

Follow up on this - Pawol was announced Monday as one of the 24 umpires who will work Spring Training games in Florida. She becomes only the third woman to do so.

Also - Pawol is also being elevated to Triple A crew chief this year. Triple A crew chiefs are who MLB will pull from if they need a replacement ump during the season

• Like 1

I spent the second half of last season as the videographer for the Augusta (GA) Greenjackets. Excited to get going for my second year. Highlights last year;

Seeing Hurston Waldrep dominate in his only Low A start. He ended the year in AAA and is a big league camp invitee for the Braves.

Meeting Braves organist Matt Kaminski. Fantastic human and exactly my kind of eccentric. 

Watching Ambioris Tavarez finish strong. He's under tremendous pressure as the Braves first international FA signing post ban, and he appears to finally be making strides. He's a puppy with big paws. All the tools are there. I'd love to see him put it all together. Mostly because I've got lots of signed stuff. 

Goofing around with Augie, the mascot. My 3 year old son is a huge Augie fan and he thinks Dad is the absolute coolest for being Augie's buddy. We do a thing where we dance on the dugout and throw t-shirts and my son looked at me like I invented cable television. It's comforting that I can one day remind him that at one point, he thought I was cool.

Meeting Alex Anthopoulos. I so very rarely get starstruck, but he just exudes... confidence and knowledge. 

Bobbleheads. I love bobbleheads.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...