DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

51 minutes ago, A_K said:

The Rhodes/Lee direction is the weirdest thing I've seen on this show. So Lee physically dominates the man, to the point where he puts in zero offense then his team of to-date comical misfits show they can actually bite by demolishing the entire Rhodes faction. Ok, great. Interesting perspective on what happens when the bullied-kids at school congregate en-mass.

Fast forward an inch over a month and Rhodes comes back and within one TV appearance, with no appropriate build, takes on the man that completely & utterly physically dominated him in ... a gimmick match that thrives on physicality. And beats him? Reduces the DO to mockery, also makes the match non-sensical (if Rhodes had to beat him, it could have at least been a Rocky-type scenario where he shows great appreciation for Lee's physicality and stick-and-moves .. doesn't literally tie himself to him!).

Self aggrandising nonsense.

Re: their first match, I think a couple of key story points that you’re leaving out is that they were selling the idea Cody had both A) run himself ragged with the constant title defenses, and B) also gotten high on his own supply, thinking he was unbeatable.  He was mentally and physically primed to suffer an unexpected colossal defeat.

Now, he’s physically rejuvenated (JR even mentioned that he had added like 15 pounds of muscle or something like that) after taking over a month off and mentally refocused, which allows him to be more competitive against Brodie.

Anyway, I thought the match was pretty good!  Despite the triple juice, I would’ve liked it to be more focus d on violence than cute chain spots.  The package piledriver through the table from Cody was super random.

• Like 5

Good show!

Cody won the belt back.  Okay then.  So many questions.  I guess dropping it to Brodie for a mini angle that kind of went nowhere was just because Cody had to go shoot Bobo AGT?  Ooooof.  Does this mean the possible angle of Cody getting too cocky and getting destroyed was meaningless in the end?  What about all the "is he a heel or just a clueless dude who thinks his weird behavior is babyface stuff?" questions?  Does he drop the title right to OC next week or does he get to go over yet another up and comer?  Just so much weirdness all around here.  Good match, by the way, I guess.  And that fucking corny promo.  WTF.  Cody really strikes me as a guy who knows the tropes of pro wrestling and instead of understanding the why, just sort of pulls them out at random and then feels like he's keeping tradition alive. 

Also, the timing of the match was suspect, hitting a piledriver through a table during the picture in picture section.

For a pair of guys whose gimmick is "we're old school rasslers," FTR sure did look like the Backseat Boyz whipping out some Dream Sequence shit out there, doing a tandem "one guy suplexes you, another guy picks you up out of that suplex to hit a different suplex, then the first guy flips you into a flippy pin" shit and then hitting a Gory Special Bomb into the apron (THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING). If their gimmick turns into "we're hypocrites who say we're old school but will do indy shit when our backs are against the wall" that will be the most beautiful meta shit I have ever seen.   

Is Will Hobbs super green or is Brian Cage in decline?  Porque no los dos?  Clunky match but not terrible.  Thankfully quick, anyway.  I like that they're building Hobbs/Darby vs Starks/Cage.  That should be really good.  Let the meaty men slap meat and then the smaller quicker dudes can carry the work.

Props to JR for being somewhat on and not saying anything awful tonight!  I mean there was the aforemenetioned Dragon Screw thing but that was almost gentle ribbing compared to some of the real shittiness of the past.  And he mentioned Serena doing yoga without segueing into anything gross.  Baby steps!

Serena and Swoll was inoffensive.  Glad they signed Serena.

Keep the MJF/Jericho build nice and slow, please pretty please.  I love it so far.

The tournament is building to Page/Omega, right?  So good.

• Like 3

Hobbs has been an active wrestler for 10 years but, for most of those years, he didn’t wrestle much or in many different places.  I think he’s already wrestled more matches in AEW since the pandemic than he did in most years of his career to this point.

So, still pretty green in some respects, I imagine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

For a pair of guys whose gimmick is "we're old school rasslers," FTR sure did look like the Backseat Boyz whipping out some Dream Sequence shit out there, doing a tandem "one guy suplexes you, another guy picks you up out of that suplex to hit a different suplex, then the first guy flips you into a flippy pin" shit and then hitting a Gory Special Bomb into the apron (THE HARDEST PART OF THE RING).

I’ve noticed Cash has been doing more flashy moves in matches. The dragon suplex, and now a Gory bomb.

• Like 1

On the whole Cody thing; the return two weeks ago, the promo last week, the match this week were all good it's been a fine angle with Brodie but it all felt rushed to me. Why couldn't they have held off on the Cody return until the Anniversary show next week then build to the Dog Collar Match at Full Gear with Cody winning at the PPV? Maybe that along with table spots and worked shoots one of the lasting effects of Russo's booking is this rushing of programs and 3 week angles IDK but it feels like this is all rushed to me.

• Like 3

Forget the brackets, we don't even have all eight names yet. So it's interesting that they'd throw out Page and Omega's names in the first two weeks rather than saving them for last. Do they have a big surprise lined up as the final participant?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kenyabaxterZXW said:

2x6rs1ydmrr51.jpg

I never really thought about it before, but wrestlers in WWE do look at backstage monitors in a peculiar manner. What an interesting concept for them to have fun with!

Also: Maybe they're over-complicating some of their sequences, maybe their opponents are a bit on the sloppy side or can't keep up, but FTR have been doing no favours for their "best tag team on the planet" aspirations lately. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Forget the brackets, we don't even have all eight names yet. So it's interesting that they'd throw out Page and Omega's names in the first two weeks rather than saving them for last. Do they have a big surprise lined up as the final participant?

I feel like they need at least one more big name if they have any intention of even trying to create the impression the final is anything other than Kenny/Hangman (I mean, unless they end up in the same bracket before the finals; in which case, they’ll still need someone suitable for that PPV spot).  I’m not sure who that would be, though.  I would assume everybody who’s in a title mix right now is out (Mox, Archer, King, Cody, OC).  And I really don’t want to see Brodie put in it to eat another big loss so soon.  MJF and Jericho seem to be doing something else for the PPV.

I feel like Sammy or Scorpio are good bets to get one of those last spots.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like they need at least one more big name if they have any intention of even trying to create the impression the final is anything other than Kenny/Hangman (I mean, unless they end up in the same bracket before the finals; in which case, they’ll still need someone suitable for that PPV spot).  I’m not sure who that would be, though.  I would assume everybody who’s in a title mix right now is out (Mox, Archer, King, Cody, OC).  And I really don’t want to see Brodie put in it to eat another big loss so soon.  MJF and Jericho seem to be doing something else for the PPV.

Actually, it occurred to me after I posted that having Jericho and MJF be the last two participants might create interesting ways to move their story forward. And they're certainly both big enough names to call the finals into doubt.

• Like 1

* Two massive slabs of meat, colliding in a HOSS FIGHT, is a hell of a way to start a show, and I LOVED THE SHIT out of Brian Cage versus Will Hobbs. I’m also into the inevitable Hobbs turn. I’m on the fence about Ricky Scaggs no-selling Darby Allin’s scary face.

* When TH2 were Los Gueros del Cielo in AAA they were really fucking great but that was five years and several injuries ago and I’m not sure what you should do with them, really. Angelico is still great as a whacky lucha submission guy and there’s still some value in Jack Evans being a crazy man, but it just didn’t work against FTR.

* The Young Bucks watched TV backstage exactly how wrestlers should do.

* That “weenies” shirt would have been great if they hadn’t pointed it out at all. 

* Dog collar matches can be tedious things but the TNT title match was GREAT. Yeah, I’m not sure Cody needed to win but I’ll let it slide because everything around it was cool. From John Silver to crimson masks and use of the chain as more than a prop, I loved this. And I’m sure there’ll be a reckoning from Brodie at some point...

* Greg Valentine is made out of stone.

* Kenny Omega is NOT AT ALL SCARED of tag-team wrestler Adam Page.

* Big Swole and Serena Deeb were on completely different pages, especially at the start and the finish, when it looked like they banged heads bad. They need to decide what they’re doing with Deeb, too, because she’s just kinda there on reputation and that’s okay but also not okay?

* Jon Moxley is the king of promos, putting over the importance of a match and the quality of his opponent, and he makes it so COOL.

* It’s a shame that we are where we are and that the other team couldn’t send in some congrats to Jericho - I would actually have popped for noted monster Vince McMahon appearing - but the celebration, including the match (you leave my ponderously slow Luther alone!) and aftermath, was lovely. Jericho is a GOAT and has pretty much dictated his own terms for two thirds of his career and I have something in my eye. Fuck Clownico.

• Like 3

I actually wished the dog collar had the 4 corner stip. I mean I don’t like when they do the cheap ending with that stipulation, but I really like AAA’s version(Known as Bull Terrier) where it’s essentially just a last man standing match, and it always end with one guy exhaustingly tagging all the ropes in a bloody mess.