DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

I think the bigger issue is that not many people feel like Kobe is worth that going forward.  I certainly don't.  With that said, Kobe IS the only contract on the books after next season.  Sure, it's not his fault that the Lakers made the offer, but it does reflect badly on him somewhat, simply because the team is in such a rebuilding phase.

Yeah if Kobe truly cared about winning at all costs he would have asked for $15 million a year or less, my point is that is unfair to blame the player for not taking less than what they are worth. If a player wants to take below market value in exchange for a better chance of winning that's fine and the player should be applauded for his selflessness, however when a player doesn't do that he shouldn't be vilified for it. It shouldn't be expected and demanded that every star player take a paycut in order to have a better chance of winning, in the end that money saved just goes to the owners. 

He shouldn't be vilified but he deserves a shut the fuck up for the next time he goes on about how all he's doing is coming back to win a championship.

• Like 1

Kobe's market isn't $24 million/year.  It's $12-14 million, tops.  What the Lakers did was panic/feel guilty and gave Kobe money that he's not worth at this point.  The Lakers could have called his bluff.  Not only did they not do that, but they didn't even fake it.  Are they afraid he'll go to another team?  Who would have the room to take him and is in place to win?  Chicago and Miami after this season.  I don't see LeBron wanting to deal with Kobe that much, and he would take Wade's SG shot--so no bueno there.  Go to Chicago and be in Jordan's shadow as he goes for No. 6.  Would Kobe's ego process that?  I don't know.

It proves once and for all that Kobe is in it only for himself, that a sixth ring isn't really important to him. 

All that said, I don't know if I totally blame Kobe for taking the money.  It's tangible, he knows he'll get that.  With Jim Buss running the show, who knows if the Lakers will put the pieces in place to try and win for the next couple of years.  Jimmy Boy ain't his daddy, and this isn't a Spurs situation where many pieces were in place already and Duncan knows he can trust the team to do what's best.

The Lakers are screwed, and they screwed themseleves by handing the keys to their kingdom to an old guy with a bad injury who can't be built around.

• Like 1

But he is worth $24million to the Lakers based on jersey sales, ticket sales, TV ratings. It's not liked Kobe demanded and negotiated that price, the Lakers offered him that as the 1st offer Kobe just accepted. Would it have been great of Kobe to suggest a lower contract? Yes. Does this prove that Kobe's #1 priority right now is not getting a 6th ring? Looks like it. 

As a Clipper fan I'm happy that this happened because I don't want the Lakers to be good, however I think Kobe is getting too much heat for something he should not be obligated to do. (Not so much in this forum, everyone here is very reasonable.)

• Like 1

It proves once and for all that Kobe is in it only for himself, that a sixth ring isn't really important to him. 

I think it is quite possible that Kobe thinks so highly of himself that he believes that the size of his contract is not an impediment to another title.

Yeah Kobe probably thought his Lakers would win the NBA title the year they traded Shaq.

But he is worth $24million to the Lakers based on jersey sales, ticket sales, TV ratings. It's not liked Kobe demanded and negotiated that price, the Lakers offered him that as the 1st offer Kobe just accepted. Would it have been great of Kobe to suggest a lower contract? Yes. Does this prove that Kobe's #1 priority right now is not getting a 6th ring? Looks like it. 

As a Clipper fan I'm happy that this happened because I don't want the Lakers to be good, however I think Kobe is getting too much heat for something he should not be obligated to do. (Not so much in this forum, everyone here is very reasonable.)

A WHAT!!! Clipper fan on this board!!! BAN HIM RIPPA!!!! BAN HIM!!!!

Lakers will be fine. Everyone, including Lakers fans panics when they hit their 2-3 years of downtime. You get all these "oh my god, they suck and will never win another title again" articles and within 3 years they end up having a good team and steal some superstar, so then all those articles revert to the "boo hoo...not fair....Lakers always get stars" articles. rinse, repeat.  

They'll win the lottery this year, draft Wiggins, wait a year for Kevin Love and when Kobe's contract ends they'll sign Durant and we'll be back winning again and everyone crying that they stole stars because the big market bully has a billion dollar TV deal to do this sort of thing.  Happy holidays, everyone. :)

I began praying last summer. They traded James Harden. OKC is going down. My prayers are working. My God is a Laker fan.  There's also a guy named Lebron James who's going to guarantee the West will be finishing their seasons in disappointment. I like my odds.

EDIT: As a UCLA Bruin fan, I'd be very content with a Westbrook & Love combo.

Edited by AlfredoE

Who gets the Nets draft pick this year? They lost to the Lakers. Kidd lost his drink.

jason-kidd-party-foul.gif

I believe the Celtics have their first rounder this year, and alternating years for a little while.

Edit: The Celtics have their first rounder in 2014, 2016, and 2018.

I believe the Hawks get first crack at this year's Nets pick. I will double check and find confirmation, I remember not being as happy about this poor Nets start as I would have. Basically the Nets are going to be awful for a long time.

I actually tried checking and found a page on RealGM that tries to explain who has what picks from recent trades and lets just say I got more confused after reading it. So many picks have been traded.  The good news is the Lakers are keeping picks on even years, so I won't be completely confused for the next 4 years.

Denver gets the Knicks pick this year. Here's what it says for Boston:

2014 first round draft pick from Brooklyn

Brooklyn will convey the less favorable of its 2014 1st round pick and Atlanta's 2014 1st round pick to Boston (via Atlanta's right to swap for Brooklyn) [Atlanta-Brooklyn, 7/11/2012 and then Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]

Boston ends up with the lower pick.

Perhaps someone could explain this to me, and I figure I could look on the Basketball-Reference site, but I figure this could get some fun reactions from people.

On the payroll section of each team, they have the people under contract's salary, the people who they owe money to, and are no longer under contract, and then a third section where it appears the player has been gone for years, and years, but somehow are still listed. Using the Lakers as an example:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAL.html

It says there is still money owed to Mitch Richmond, but I am unsure what this means. Does it mean the Lakers still own his rights, and if he comes out of retirement they have to pay, or what happens?  It's all very confusing.