DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 5/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Advertised for tonight:

• Cage Match (w/Special Guest referee Kurt Angle) - Timothy Thatcher vs. Matt Riddle
  • Adam Cole live negotiates with GM Regal on dealing with Velveteen Dream (and Dexter Lumis?)
  • Triple Threat Tiebreaker to face El Hijo del Fantasma at Takeover for the Interim Cruiserweight Championship
  • DARK~ Io Shirai/Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte/??

--

I'm guessing Charlotte's tag partner will be Bayley as she'll probably say something like "A champ can only tag with a champ".

Also, as has been widely reported, this may be Riddle's final NXT match.  I'd be very down with Angle turning heel and managing Thatcher as a dangerous shootfighting hobo. 

Looked forward to Riddle vs. Thatcher inside a steel cage since the news broke. I'll be saddened if this Matt Riddle's NXT match, he's been the MVP this year and last year for the brand. However sign me up for Riddle vs. DANIEL BRYAN, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura.

Edited by The Natural

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, is that Full Sail Arena?  Because that structure looks too big for the PC.

That was my thought due to the LED screen above the ring. Looks more mini-arena based.

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

Scaffold cage match? Seems no ropes either.

I dunno why there hasn't been a scaffold cage match before, where you have to throw your opponent into the ring and then pin them, or maybe the other way around. Seems like something that would have sure happened in Japan.

Guest Edwin
3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, is that Full Sail Arena?  Because that structure looks too big for the PC.

Yes.

They have been recording at both, the Performance Center and at Full Sail.

Edited by Edwin

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno why there hasn't been a scaffold cage match before, where you have to throw your opponent into the ring and then pin them, or maybe the other way around. Seems like something that would have sure happened in Japan.

There has been but I don't remember the wrestlers and the promotion. (Throw and pin).

Pretty solid show all around.  Good to see NXT back at Full Sail and I think this set up looked better with the limited audience than the PC did.  The show seemed a lot more energetic.  Seems pretty crazy that no one ever thought of doing a scaffold set up on top of a cage because it worked out really well.  Hopefully Dunn comes back sometime soon to get his revenge on Thatcher.

Guest Edwin
5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If he really lost his teeth... well. 

Nah, it was obviously fake.

24 minutes ago, Edwin said:

The tweet of a man who knows his brand is behind in the ratings.

A solid show heading into the PPV.  God bless Shotzi for damn near killing herself trying to keep the mid-card solid.  

I feel worked.  For a guy being allegedly released, Drake Maverick sure is in the midst of a push to the moon.

Is It me or were there shades of a Rhea Ripley heel turn at the end of the tag match?  As much as I'd like to see it, the NXT women's division needs all the faces it can get, so I hope that Rhea and Io are booked to remain tweeners.

34 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

So we are at the point where the Drake Maverick release is a work yeah? Him winning the CW title to 'keep his job' is just like Slater having to win the Tag Titles with Rhyno.

I don’t think there is any chance Drake wins next week. This whole tourney has been building up to Fantasma’s reveal as the mastermind behind the kidnappings. 

• Like 2